Start my new job tommorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet he's awesome- he's got a lackey to do the heavy lifting! ;)

We got a new UPS driver today. Another great guy! I wonder if UPS actively screens for personality when hiring?

You get big compliments, resulting in swollen ego, bigger head, larger hat size.

OK, it didn't go over well. :(

if you're the driver's helper you better hit that gym:D lots of boxes. and your going into the busiest time of the year but be grateful you have work.

it was piece a cake.. really light boxes.. easy
just had one or two stops where it was a killer.. going up 3 flights of stairs with tight stairways.. an count it 11 boxes total.. 100 pounds each

glad it was two of us.. we were exhausted..had to take a 10 min brake..

Please say this isn't your "career job" but just an extra job for the holidays right? You do have F/T employment too?

well .. Im thinking of becoming an Driver now.. something in near distance future..
get some nice $$$ i cant believe how much they earn. wow
my eyes poped out when my driver told me how much he gets an hour.. :eek: :hungry:

but until then i gonna find out if i get an inside job at UPS tommorrow when i go in a get my pay check

Best to ya. I can only reiterate, UPS people seem to be happy people. So it's gotta be a good deal.

Best to ya. I can only reiterate, UPS people seem to be happy people. So it's gotta be a good deal.

They sure are.. and thanks i appreciate it very much you all :up

especailly the drivers love their jobs ;)

anyway i asked and they said i have to wait until end of january to check back on open positions there..

but i see other UPS locations are hiring.. so have to ask my supervisor if i can transfer to that other location.. while its kinda not close.. alittle far drive out i can still manage to drive there and then when my location has open position for me.. i can transfer back to them.. :D

I wish them well, and hope they really do make that kind of money. Now I also wish I had their job.....

But, then again, I'm inside and warm all the time. No dogs. No bad neighborhood. Not in traffic all day......

No wonder it costs so much to send a package. Damn teamsters.

Yeah, well, I'll tell you. I order a lot of stuff that comes UPS, and do the tracking. My guy leaves his depot building BEFORE 5AM every morning, and doesn't get to my house before 3pm. Same driver that's been coming here since 2001. My house is more than 30 miles from the depot. That's 10 hours just to get to my house. I don't know how big his route is, but they MUST be working more than 12 hours per day. $70K for 12+ hour days (60 hrs week), isn't really that much per hour. That's 1.5 days of work, per day for their schedule, so calculate their salary based on that.

I think they earn their money. I used to work a job that was a lot of driving, I didn't get paid that much (20+ years ago) but I loved it. However, it gets real hard on the back after awhile, and I wasn't delivering and lifting things all day long.

IMHO this is yet another union that just may well be heading their membership into bad areas down the road. BUT great for now. See auto industry as a prime example. We have stopped using UPS as our main carrier because of union organized work stoppages or threats of same that disrupt OUR business for their arguments.

And for the 10hr example above; that likely includes 2 15/20min breaks and a 1hr lunch at minimum. So that now brings you back down to about 8hrs or so.

I am not "hating" as it were, but if it were me I would be real careful not to get my ass priced right out of a job or to allow my union to do it on my behalf.

USATODAY.com - UPS' pay, perks make it a destination job for many

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/11/12/101008310/

UPS Pressroom: Fact Sheet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)