Starz AV Dropouts; SD, Western Feed (Channel 351)

StandardDefJack

Original poster
Oct 3, 2011
Eastern US
Hi, new to the forum: Wondered if anyone else has been seeing curious dropouts on Starz West (SD, channel 351) of late. They present as a about a second and a half of complete loss of image and video, with no tearing of picture or garbling of sound. Just a complete cutoff to absolute black and silence...with AV returning a beat later. It's as if the signal is still strong and present, but contains no data.

Noticed this in the 7:25pm (EST) broadcast of Tron: Legacy on October 2nd, if anyone else has it recorded and wants to search through some footage (the Light Cycle race contained at least a few instances). Previously, this issue manifested in an airing of The Social Network a few weeks back, as well as a later broadcast of the same film I tuned to some days later only to find the issue again...in what seemed to be some of the same places... Wasn't able to conclude whether they showed in exactly the same locations, but it was close enough to make me wonder whether the video master being used was corrputed (if that's possible). I haven't seen this issue on any other channels in the SD Starz or Dish lineup.

My equipment consists of older generation, SD recievers (2700/2800), with analog connectors (S-video and 2-channel audio).

--Jack

Last edited:
In watching for further instances of the dropout issue, I did see briefer outages of the type I described on channels 209 and 139. By far, the issue is worse with Starz W (ch 351), which also happens to come off a different satellite. Not sure whether that's significant, but the issue does seem to present elsewhere on the dial after all...

Could this be due to the recent increase in solar activity?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts