Starz HD East: Kill Bill: Vol. 2 9pm ET (WideScreen)

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
starzhdkillbillv2.jpg

Why do they bother? A movie like this certainly deserves the HD treatment. If they want to call themselves an HD channel, then they should be showing ALL of their movies in HD.

I agree with you guys... but they never promised it to be HD... I just saw Kill Bill 1 yesterday another upconvert. I had passed on it because it was not HD at all. But it is a great movie that deserves to be aired in HD. We'll see where it will be played HD next. I do not know the entire reason why StarzHD is not doing the HD of this but I am sure there must be a reason behind. Was it money? or Was the owner of he movie not willing to give them an HD transfer? if anybody can answers those questions maybe we can get to the bottom of the why?

Well, I had never seen them before so I watched it, upconverted and all. I have to say, the upconvert looked good...definitely better than SD. It may not have been true HD, but it was good enough that it was worth watching. It was certainly NOT a good enough reason to not watch it.

You really can't complain about the Starz upconvert until you see movies shown on the so called TNTHD. Now that is atrocious.

HD movies on TNTHD look awesome, at least on Dish, I never watch any channel on Voom that I can also get with Dish, they don't compare in PQ.

Regarding Kill Bill, I tuned in Vol 1 breifly last week and it looked about like the DVD.

mrhph said:
You really can't complain about the Starz upconvert until you see movies shown on the so called TNTHD. Now that is atrocious.

Yes, I do believe you can complain, these are premium channels that we choose to pay extra for, not basic channels where they are bundled together with a bunch of other channels for the same price.
On Wednesday, I will have Starz-HD, and the only reason I am getting Starz is for the HD Channel, not up-converts.

bruce said:
Yes, I do believe you can complain, these are premium channels that we choose to pay extra for, not basic channels where they are bundled together with a bunch of other channels for the same price.
On Wednesday, I will have Starz-HD, and the only reason I am getting Starz is for the HD Channel, not up-converts.
From that angle I guess you make sense. But right now on Voom we're getting StarzHD for free, hence my comparison.

I though Kill Bill 1 & 2 looked very good for being upconverts. I honestly wasn't sure at first it wasn't true HD. It was a definite step above the DVD IMO, as I have both of them. I'm not letting Starz off the hook, since these films deserve the royal treatment but for upconverts I really couldn't complain. And they were shown in 2.35:1.

ChrisDuncan said:
It was a definite step above the DVD IMO, as I have both of them. I'm not letting Starz off the hook, since these films deserve the royal treatment but for upconverts I really couldn't complain. And they were shown in 2.35:1.
Carlos Salcedo at avsforum posted a very nice comparsion of the DVD, HD and upconvert PQ. You'll be amazed at how good the 720p HD version looks!

http://www.carlossalcedo.com/2005/02/kill-bill-vol1-hd-to-dvd-pq-comparison.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)