State of Texas increasing taxes on satellite?????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
They need to provide a few examples of the "increased cost of doing business". Until they do, I remain unconvinced.

that would be nice, but like the DVR fee, it seems this is just another "because we can" fee. Just wait, they will probably add an OTA fee as well.

Yes an explanation would be helpful. In Texas we pay more for homeowners insurance due to higher than national average weather related claims, mainly hail related. So charging different prices in different states/cities is not a new business practice. Look at auto insurance rates and you see a wide spead for the same coverage due to claims experience. I know I paid different prices for cable TV at different locations in New England. A lot of that was local politics and their deals with the cable companies. I also know that I pay lower restaurant prices locally than many other cities same chain locations. I was told that this was a result of lower salaries paid locally than in east and west coast locations. One example of this was the local McDonalds can get all the workers they want for minimum wages and the McDonalds at Hampton Beach NH could not get any takers for twice the minimum wage. Their prices were higher in NH than Locally. If you look at house prices and apartment rents , they are very dependent on the differences in the cost of living per city. So if a national company wishes to keep their rates constant nationally and have different operating cost per city/state they can either charge equalizing fees or charge everyone an average rate that allows a reasonable profit. So many customers pay higher than they should and many less. I chose to live in a lower cost of living area. I moved from one of the highest cost of living areas to be here. It would cost 5 times what I paid for my house to buy it in my previous city. I would benefit if Dish decided to charge a different price per city based on cost of living rates. All that is needeed for that to happen is for Directv to do the same.Cable companies arealready doing it.

empiretc said:
that would be nice, but like the DVR fee, it seems this is just another "because we can" fee. Just wait, they will probably add an OTA fee as well.

If it was a because we can fee, they'd apply it to all accounts and it would not vary from state to state. More information explaining these surcharges would benefit consumers, but your statement doesn't seem to be warranted at this time.

Best bet, some increase in costs due to a change in regulations, or perhaps alterations to property, employer or corporate taxes in these states.

I know that Echostar has a teleport site in New Braunfels ,Texas. Maybe Echostar, the left hand of the business, is charging DISH ,the right hand of the business, for doing business in Texas and we the DISH consumers in Texas, are paying the cost of this moving of money from the left pocket of Charlie's to the right pocket , or vice a versa.

I know that Echostar has a teleport site in New Braunfels ,Texas. Maybe Echostar, the left hand of the business, is charging DISH ,the right hand of the business, for doing business in Texas and we the DISH consumers in Texas, are paying the cost of this moving of money from the left pocket of Charlie's to the right pocket , or vice a versa.

Don't think that is it... CT's charge is almost $4!!!!! Wow.... Multiply that by the number of customers they have there.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Don't think that is it... CT's charge is almost $4!!!!! Wow.... Multiply that by the number of customers they have there.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Estimated revenues from this service fee:

CT = $7.5M/year

CT population is about 1.1% of the nation. 1.1% x 14M subscribers x $4/mo x 12 mo = a nice boost to the profit line.

Should we fill in TX, OH and the rest?

Estimated revenues from this service fee:

CT = $7.5M/year

CT population is about 1.1% of the nation. 1.1% x 14M subscribers x $4/mo x 12 mo = a nice boost to the profit line.

Should we fill in TX, OH and the rest?

I'm glad you asked... :)

Delaware $1.50 = $735k/year

Kentucky $1.30 = $3.1M/year

Ohio $0.20 = $1.2M/year

Texas $0.62 = $8.6M/year

Virgin Islands $4.00 = $268k/year

Washington $1.00 = $3.7M/year

That's $25 million padding the bottom line for doing "nothing" but processing a fee.

Rick Perry, the governor of Texas, doesn't believe in raising taxes. FEES on the other hand , he has NO problem raising or Inventing them to take the place of Taxes , he won't raise.:eek:

Rick Perry doesn't even know what cities are in his own state or what is going on in or around them or Texas itself.

September of last year Perry said car bomb exploded July 16, 2010 in El Paso. The bombing made national news. The fact is, the car bomb exploded in Juarez, Mexico not El Paso. Juarez is the city that borders El Paso.

The bombing was because of the Juarez drug cartels fighting for control of the drug trade routes that run through Juarez. Perry thought Juarez is a city in Texas.

Taking the population size, El Paso is considered the safest city in America.

Last edited:
Rick Perry doesn't even know what cities are in his own state or what is going on in or around them or Texas itself.

September of last year Perry said car bomb exploded July 16, 2010 in El Paso. The bombing made national news. The fact is, the car bomb exploded in Juarez, Mexico not El Paso. Juarez is the city that borders El Paso.

The bombing was because of the Juarez drug cartels fighting for control of the drug trade routes that run through Juarez. Perry thought Juarez is a city in Texas.

Taking the population size, El Paso is considered the safest city in America.

Well I never said that Perry was smart about geography , or his own country's history . Personally I think he is dumber than a box of rocks , but he does know how to raise revenue, by shifting on paper , from taxes to new FEES . He keeps his contract from no new taxes ,but still gets revenues. I think he followed DISH's model, or Charlie followed his. His business tax is just like DISH's new Tx surcharge: price of doing business in Texas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts