Statement from Dish Network on VOOM Takedown

Perhaps a new VOOM will come back. One has to assume that there is intense negotiation going on right now. VOOM is fighting for its life, and VOOM would be foolish to assume it could continue as it did before with just one provider (not counting CVC NYC). There is just no way to sell 15 HD channels at this time, providers are over capacity. It looks like Dish signaled they would carry up to 5, lets hope VOOM wises up and realises that 5 good channels is better than 15 off the air ones.

Rainbow media has other channels of course besides VOOM. They could perhaps use them in negotiations to start getting carriage of VOOM on other providers, but they would have to have fewer channels. No way they could say AMC, IFC and We and 15 VOOM or nothing, but they could perhaps leverage 1-2 channels. Having 5 super channels to pick from, might see other operators pick up a VOOM channel when they renew their Rainbow Media channel packages.

And the fact the channels are still uplinked gives me a small inkling of hope.

opened the box and it was a 522 called DISH to hear them say the 721 is obsolete ( which I know ) but they should have enough for warranty replacements they get them back and just refurbish them right replace defective Hard drives, boards what ever ?
They can't activate any 721 going forward because of the outcome of the Tivo lawsuit.

I just called to Dish and to my surprise, the CSR told me they have received an overwhelming number of calls from customers upset about the removal of the Voom Channels. The person said that Dish was seroiusly reviewing this issue and they were documenting each call.

So if you are upset by the removal of the Voom channels, CALL DISH and complain!!!

With all of the folks downgrading from Ultimate to Essentials I wonder how the remaining 'Ultimate' channels feel. Now they're going to lose income due to fewer subscribers and it's Dish's fault.

I registered so I could I reply to this thread, as this subject is critical to me.

Whether those who didn't watch the Voom channels understand it or not, some of the channels were very special for those of us who did. In particular, I was a huge MonstersHD fan. I have loved horror my whole life, and MonstersHD was the only option of its kind.

In fact, I upgraded to HD because of MonstersHD. While I do enjoy other programming in high definition, I truly can live with or without it.

The bottom line for me is this is just one of many times Dish Network has disappointed me. I have been a loyal customer since 1997, but over the past 5 years I have been increasingly disgruntled with programming decisions.

As a baseball fan, I was shocked when MLB made the decision to go with Directv only last year. Dish Network claimed to have fought the decision, but I truly wonder how hard they really tried. Since I live in upstate NY, I essentially cannot watch baseball anymore on Dish Network. All of the Yankees games are blacked out on ESPN, and Dish refuses to carry YES.

And for years they promised me on the phone they would be getting NFL Sunday Ticket within a year or two. Never happened.

So now I am wondering...why exactly am I still a subscriber to Dish Network? They have the worst sports lineup of all of cable and satellite. They just dropped all of the Voom channels, including MonstersHD, which was the only reason I upgraded to HD in the first place. And they replaced it with news, and questionable HD quality channels?

I'm going to see how this plays out over the next week. If there is no news that VOOM may return, or at least MonstersHD may return, then it is over for me and Dish Network. They no longer have content which is different than anybody else...in fact, they have less than everyone else. I can have Directv installed within the week if I so choose, and be watching baseball again. I'll let Dish Network subs continue to enjoy standard def cartoons with black bars on either side...

I've been a lurker for some time and registered to say this:

I called Dish Network last nite to complain about the loss of the VOOM networks and not impressed with the new channels at all. They did tell me that due to the overwhelming response from customers about the loss of VOOM that they may bring it back....if.... now hang on to your knickers on this one.... if VOOM upgrades their signal from mpeg3 to mpeg4?!?!?!

Like I mentioned on another forum site... this sounds like the largest layer of masculine bovine defecation like I have never heard of before!!!

As a baseball fan, I was shocked when MLB made the decision to go with Directv only last year. Dish Network claimed to have fought the decision, but I truly wonder how hard they really tried. Since I live in upstate NY, I essentially cannot watch baseball anymore on Dish Network. All of the Yankees games are blacked out on ESPN, and Dish refuses to carry YES.
Although Direct tried to make EI exclusive, it never went through.

MLB EI is not a Direct exclusive and MLB did not make a decision to go with Direct only. Several cable outlets also carry MLB EI. Dish made the decision to not carry EI.

I am happy to see people sign up and letting us know they were complaining to Dish as well, it shows how many people that are very unhappy. I hope Dish does the right thing.

I am happy to see people sign up and letting us know they were complaining to Dish as well, it shows how many people that are very unhappy. I hope Dish does the right thing.

I certainly understand your feelings.....but are they realistic? It would be interesting if we had the information that Dish has to evaluate the Voom fall-out.

1. How many Dish Network customers sub to HD programming? 20-30%?

2. How many Dish Network HD customers sub to the "Ultimate" or "DishHD"
packages that included the "Voom" channels? 30-40%?

3. How Many Dish Network HD customers who had Voom HD in their
programming package are upset enough to complain or consider leaving
Dish Network? 10-25%?

When you add everything up you realize the small percentage of Dish Network customers who would be a part of this effort to write and/or call Dish is quite small. I highly doubt customer feedback will determine if Voom returns to Dish......it will all depend on the Money.......as it usually does with Charlie.

Note: I'm only guessing on these percentages......but I think they are pretty realistic!

I registered so I could I reply to this thread, as this subject is critical to me.

Whether those who didn't watch the Voom channels understand it or not, some of the channels were very special for those of us who did. In particular, I was a huge MonstersHD fan. I have loved horror my whole life, and MonstersHD was the only option of its kind.

In fact, I upgraded to HD because of MonstersHD. While I do enjoy other programming in high definition, I truly can live with or without it.

The bottom line for me is this is just one of many times Dish Network has disappointed me. I have been a loyal customer since 1997, but over the past 5 years I have been increasingly disgruntled with programming decisions.

And for years they promised me on the phone they would be getting NFL Sunday Ticket within a year or two. Never happened.

So now I am wondering...why exactly am I still a subscriber to Dish Network? They have the worst sports lineup of all of cable and satellite. They just dropped all of the Voom channels, including MonstersHD, which was the only reason I upgraded to HD in the first place. And they replaced it with news, and questionable HD quality channels?

I'm going to see how this plays out over the next week. If there is no news that VOOM may return, or at least MonstersHD may return, then it is over for me and Dish Network. They no longer have content which is different than anybody else...in fact, they have less than everyone else. I can have Directv installed within the week if I so choose, and be watching baseball again. I'll let Dish Network subs continue to enjoy standard def cartoons with black bars on either side...

Dan,

You stated my sentiments exactly as if I wrote it myself. Like you I'm also seeing how this pans out over the next couple of weeks. I too am pulling the plug on Dish if it appears there is no chance VOOM (especially Monsters HD) is coming back. Why? Because there is no reason now to keep Dish. What do I gain by moving over to DirecTV? The only other thing that disappointed me about Dish: I can at least watch my beloved Islanders in HD on FSNY and my kids can enjoy Nickelodeon HD, both of which Dish does not have. Everything else is the same between Dish & DirecTV. And that is the saddest thing of them all - Dish killed the single important thing that differentiated them from DirecTV.

I really miss Monsters HD. I have such a bad taste in my mouth that won't go away. I can't even look at Dish's guide anymore on my TV. It is so frustrating.

I certainly understand your feelings.....but are they realistic? It would be interesting if we had the information that Dish has to evaluate the Voom fall-out.

1. How many Dish Network customers sub to HD programming? 20-30%?

2. How many Dish Network HD customers sub to the "Ultimate" or "DishHD"
packages that included the "Voom" channels? 30-40%?

3. How Many Dish Network HD customers who had Voom HD in their
programming package are upset enough to complain or consider leaving
Dish Network? 10-25%?

When you add everything up you realize the small percentage of Dish Network customers who would be a part of this effort to write and/or call Dish is quite small. I highly doubt customer feedback will determine if Voom returns to Dish......it will all depend on the Money.......as it usually does with Charlie.

Note: I'm only guessing on these percentages......but I think they are pretty realistic!

It's still a small percentage they can't afford to piss off or lose (35,000!???). Charlie should be doing EVERYTHING in his power to entice new subscribers and that won't work by putting out B.S. press releases and misleading advertising, not to mention downscaling to LESS HD content.

The older Charlie gets the kookier he gets and he seems to be the only person who doesn't notice that.

Does anyone have the direct email for Charlie? Are we complaining to the folks that even care? Of course I not implying that Charlie really cares, but maybe some of his colleagues do.
bnw

Charlie should be doing EVERYTHING in his power to entice new subscribers ... snip ...

Have you missed everything people have said about new customers? HD Locals and the "popular" HD Channels are what brings in new customers. You don't have to agree with the "masses" who go for the "brand name" but that's the way of the market right now. In terms of what the general population wants (not us HD-geeks) Charlie IS doing everything to entice the new subscribers, most of which don't know anything about VOOM or what occurred.

[
QUOTE=Weezknight;1364856]Have you missed everything people have said about new customers? HD Locals and the "popular" HD Channels are what brings in new customers. You don't have to agree with the "masses" who go for the "brand name" but that's the way of the market right now. In terms of what the general population wants (not us HD-geeks) Charlie IS doing everything to entice the new subscribers, most of which don't know anything about VOOM or what occurred.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I'm was only trying to look at the situation from the Dish(or "Charlie") perspective. If 35,000 Dish customers are pissed and leave, but 100,000 new customers join because of the more "Mainstream" or "Popular" HD channels have been added it will still be a net gain for Dish. Even if this has been a PR disaster.

Have you missed everything people have said about new customers? HD Locals and the "popular" HD Channels are what brings in new customers. You don't have to agree with the "masses" who go for the "brand name" but that's the way of the market right now. In terms of what the general population wants (not us HD-geeks) Charlie IS doing everything to entice the new subscribers, most of which don't know anything about VOOM or what occurred.

Yes, I can see where your going with this but he has one major problem. D*!!! D* has more and does everything better. Flipping through the new hd channels - not much in HD. Flip through the old lineup(Voom) lots of hd. What does E* do or have that D* doesn't??? Why would one chose the lesser of the two?

voom

maby if enough people complain,dish might drop the 22 new channels and bring back voom. lets hope they do!!!

Dan,

And that is the saddest thing of them all - Dish killed the single important thing that differentiated them from DirecTV.

I can't even look at Dish's guide anymore on my TV. It is so frustrating.

I called in yesterday and voiced my complaint about the removal of Voom (particulary World Cinema).

Spent a little time last night looking at the 4:3 format, mid def additions. Pretty cheesy and disappointing.

I'm a 5 star customer since '02. My committment (based on a new 3 box suite of HD gear) is over in October. The Dish lady says they will be adding 100 new HD channels by the end of the year.

Dish has until October to get their act together. If not, I'm outta here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)