Statement from Dish Network on Young Broadcasting Removal

Look at the Dish Marketing Department out in full force...

Where are you when we can't get Customer Service to fix something?!

think about, what if every channel wanted wanted 0.01 per subscriber per day. lets take the t250 plus locals---

250 channels x0.01=$2.50
$2.50 x 30 days = 75.00 per day that dish has to pay all the channels

what do you think your bill would like after dish had to mark that up to cover their overhead to keep service going? yes its unfortunate that people cannot watch programming that they enjoy, but it is for the better good in the long run that dish drops channels that try to strongarm them. if one one channel sees another channel getting away with it, it will never stop.

Even worse than that, since the biggest channels, especially ESPN and the RSNs charge DOLLARS per month. The satellite and cable companies lost that fight long ago.

The operating costs are significant. Look at the depreciation on a $20M satellite that has a 10 year service life. Figure 32 transponders (generous) and 10 stations per transponder (also a little high), you get a figure of $500/day per channel.

Then you add in the cost for the tech. I met a number of the techs from the Cheyenne uplink center. Each tech generally monitors no more than 3 channels 24/7. That works out to about $200/day per channel for salary. Then figure another $100/day to depreciate and run the uplink and you end up somewhere close to $1k/day/channel operating cost.

D* pounces on loss of ABC station

In Richmond, VA, DirectTV placed an ad in the local newspaper soliciting Dish customers who are annoyed at not being able to watch the local ABC station.

KRON, in San Francisco, is an interesting example of Young Broadcasting's business strategy.

By "Young Broadcasting's business strategy" I mean "Young Broadcasting's self-destructive penchant for douchebaggery".

KRON was the local NBC affiliate until Young decided to try to play hardball with NBC. I forget exactly what stunt they were trying, but basically it was something that was unheard of in the history of network-affiliate relations.

The end result is that KNBC is now the Bay Area's NBC affiliate and KRON is an unwatchable dumping ground for crap reruns and cheap local programming.

I have zero problems with believing this is Young Broadcasting's fault.

And I NEVER have a problem with Dish playing hardball while attempting to keep my bill as low as possible.
You get the LA NBC station?

:rolleyes:
Now see; Slamminc11 is a perfect example of their attitude.

Needless to say, he's an employee.

yeah, I am! :rolleyes: You caught me! :rolleyes: You are so smart! :rolleyes: Can't get anything by you! :rolleyes:
I guess I probably should go tell my boss tomorrow that I actually work for Dish because Quantum say so, so I can't work for him anymore.
You can go ahead and crawl back under that rock you came out from now... :rolleyes:

YAWN :)

Give it a few days and the stations will be back on the Air....

All it is right now is a big pissing match, the station is blaming DISH Network and DISH Network is blaming the station. I just love it how DISH Network always has to take it to the last minute of the last hour on these negotiations and always has to end up pulling the station for a few days before they can get to a resolution and kiss and make up like nothing happened.

Maybe not. In baton rouge, la. the ABC affiliate has been off dish since March. Certainly not a few days, and on Jan 1st the nbc, fox and cw affiliates are saying they will be off of dish if dish doesnt come to an agreement.:eek:

Improved SD Picture on WRIC - Richmond, VA

Richmond VA station is back on line.

Earl

My wife and I feel like the SD picture quality on WRIC, Richmond, VA is vastly improved too. Is WRIC now uplinking the digital signal and not the analog signal?

In addition, over the past 4 weeks we have been complaining about the error in uplink message we were frequently receiving when watching WRIC; this too has stopped.

Just my observations.

Bob

I have to laugh at Young and KRON 4.

Dish broadcasted a 24/7 assault on Young where their channel was in place of their content.

Those broadcasts were very harsh and probably shamed them into a more reasonable agreement.

As mentioned, KRON 4 did this with a network affiliate and is now a nothing IND channel.

LOL

You would have thought that they would have learned their lesson by now. If I were Dish Nework, I would offer them LESS for the hassle.

I'm sure there will soon be 5 new threads on this, but we settle one and the next group rears its head: Dish, ComCorp Engaged in Retrans Dispute - 12/16/2008 8:51:00 AM - Multichannel News

This one (Communications Corp of America) is asking "less than $.02 per day", or .60/mo/station = $2.40/market/month. Looks like mostly La and east Tx.

It just emphasizes my point that DISH does better fighting these. If they didn't, you would soon be paying $2/mo/'free' channel.

Seems like these folks are going to be harder to deal with since they want twice as much as Young's price in which Dish did not see as fair either.