Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So I got the Eastern Arc installed just now but 5 of the local channels do not come in SD anymore. I do have all 5 of them in HD though. Is this fixable or is it necessary with the new dish?

That's what Eastern Arc does - All HD (when available) and the MP4 encoding. I would imagine that is the wave of the future, as everything moves to HD.... ;)

So I got the Eastern Arc installed just now but 5 of the local channels do not come in SD anymore. I do have all 5 of them in HD though. Is this fixable or is it necessary with the new dish?
Did you ever watch those 5 in SD?? If not, there's no need for the SD version....

Well sometimes when I'm running low on HDD space I would DVR a program on the SD channel instead of the HD channel. But if it's necessary to have the Eastern Arc I guess it is fine.

Well sometimes when I'm running low on HDD space I would DVR a program on the SD channel instead of the HD channel. But if it's necessary to have the Eastern Arc I guess it is fine.
Some here have apparently left a 500 dish pointed towards 110/119 also. I guess it all depends on how important it is to you...

Long process!

Thanks to these forums I was ready to make my call to Dish. I wasn't getting Fox soccer channel in HD, so I made the call.(In Maine with 110/119/ 61.5) It took over 2 hours and 6 different reps, but it appears they are sending a tech out Sat. to install the new 1000.4 dish.

I think it's important to state that 2 of the phone reps, told me I HAD to find a local Dish dealer, buy the new dish and have it installed at my cost. I was polite and refused to do that. One offered to have my dish reposition, but I'd lose my local channels, and I told him I'm paying for their service and it's not my fault they won't send me the needed signals. Finally I was sent to Customer Loyalty. They were very nice, but couldn't help, so they FINALLY sent me to Tech. Support.

This is were I finally got some real help. They agreed to send the dish at no cost. I was told that dish is sending everyone a promotional code to upgrade to the new dish, but that it wasn't on my account yet. They were going to give me the promotion so there would be NO cost. I was then sent to one of the Senior Tech Supervisors who was very friendly (Even provided me with a direct number to her desk), and promised to everything taken care of tomorrow.

In the end I was very happy with the service, BUT if I hadn't read the forums I would have left the first rep. thinking I would have to buy a new dish and that's just wrong. To make it worse, Dish is prepared to send out promotions to avoid this whole mess, but nobody seemed to know about it atthe Customer service or Customer Loyalty departments. Now as long as the tech. shows up tomorrow, we should be all set.

Thanks to all on the forums for the help, and I hope this helps someone else.

I'm in the Piedmont Triad area of NC (Walkertown) with 622 and 722 receivers. Called Dish network yesterday; Tech came out this morning. Replaced 110/119+61.5 with EA 61.5/72.7/77. I'm getting everthing I was previously including locals SD/HD and the new stuff.

My bad -- I did lose the SD locals (CBS-02, NBC-12, FOX-08, ABC-45) which has HD counterparts.

NO duplicates in SD, if you have hd versions, on eastern arc. Mpeg 4 takes up less room than mpeg 2 on the hard drive.

Wait a minute, that's two of you now... What's going on? What am I missing? According to the channel listings at dishchannelchart.com, if you're out of the spotbeam for transponder 7 on 61.5, your Eastern Arc dish shouldn't get ANY locals except for ION, which isn't really WQPX but just the national feed named as that. I know that dishchannelchart.com hasn't been updated for a while, but I've been watching the uplink reports here pretty closely and I haven't seen anything concerning our locals being moved. Now, on the other hand, if you have a wing dish for 119, you should be getting ALL the locals in SD just as you were before. So, like I said, something doesn't make sense if you're getting some locals and not others. I haven't had time to get my dish switched yet, so I'd like to get to the bottom of this before I do!

Yes I do have a wing dish at 119. And you are right, it does not make sense and the tech says so too. Like I said before, 22, 16, 28 and 56 come in - when I go to 44, 38, and 53 it wants to go to satellite 61.5.

I was just thinking about this post - Did you check all of the channels in the Guide? When I got switched to the Eastern Arc, I realized a couple of days later that some of my channel numbers had changed - Off the top of my head, some that I'd been tuning to in the 800x range were now in the 2xx range. I had to re-set some of my timers, as the channels were no longer where the DVR was looking. All of the channels were there, just in different locations. :rolleyes:

Yes

Yes I do have a wing dish at 119. And you are right, it does not make sense and the tech says so too. Like I said before, 22, 16, 28 and 56 come in - when I go to 44, 38, and 53 it wants to go to satellite 61.5.

Oh OK, I didn't know you had a dish at 119. It's going to 22, 16, 28, and 56 with no problem because the SD versions only exist on 119. If you had a normal Eastern Arc setup, you wouldn't have the SD versions in your guide, you'd have to watch the HD versions. Evidently the software doesn't know enough to fall back to 119 when it gets no signal for 44, 38, and 53 on 61.5. I wonder if Dish is aware that this is a problem? I wonder if they'll fix the software, or make us wait til they do something about the spotbeam problem? (This is assuming that they still plan on doing something about the spotbeam problem...)

What a mess Dish has created! I suppose that setting up an EA dish and plugging a bigger dish for 61.5 into the wing dish port to get HD locals would only lead to terminal confusion...

Dish tech just called me at work for setup monday for either one bigger dish or a second dish to get 72.7. TEch was great didnt mention a charge. oops nd forget to ask.

1000.4 doesn't work in Maine???

The tech is here now and is saying that Maine is too far East for the Eastern Arc 1000.4 dish, so he's installing a third dish on my roof. He's says I'll be able to get all of the HD channels now. I guess I'm lucky you can't really see the dishes on my roof. Does his statement make sense to you?

Right now with my 2 dish set up I receive 61.5, 110 and 119, but I'm missing some HD channels...(Fox Soccer Channel)

Last edited:
tech came out and didnt understand What he was supposed to do UNTIL I showed him the PDF printout. then he went "WOW! new channels!".. and then knew what I needed but couldnt do it because of snow on the roof.. they have to come back next weekend....

The tech is here now and is saying that Maine is too far East for the Eastern Arc 1000.4 dish, so he's installing a third dish on my roof. He's says I'll be able to get all of the HD channels now. I guess I'm lucky you can't really see the dishes on my roof. Does his statement make sense to you?

Right now with my 2 dish set up I receive 61.5, 110 and 119, but I'm missing some HD channels...(Fox Soccer Channel)

Sounds like my story. Last week tech put up a 1000.4 Eastern Arc. Lost 3 locals. Now he's coming back on Thur. To replace 1000.4 back to a 500 and add a 500. That will be 3 500s for me if it works!!

Sounds like my story. Last week tech put up a 1000.4 Eastern Arc. Lost 3 locals. Now he's coming back on Thur. To replace 1000.4 back to a 500 and add a 500. That will be 3 500s for me if it works!!

So which satellites are the 500s going to be pointed at? I'm not quite sure how this is going to solve the problem if it's an issue with the receiver not handling channels being on multiple satellites correctly.

We live in Raleigh, NC area and currently have two dishes because we have too many tall trees to lock in on one of the sats low on the horizon. I suppose we have the 500 dish, because we are not getting the new HD channels. My question; if I invest the time in talking to DISH, will they ultimately be able to switch out my dishes and give me a solution so I pick up the new channels...and don't lose anything I currently have?

like many here i have the 61.5, 110 and 119 setup. the 61.5 dish is connected to the 110/119 dish by a single cable.
if i buy a 1000.4 dish, can i just replace the 61.5 dish and use the existing cable that runs to the 110/119 dish or do i need an additional switch?

thank you
bruce

Huh, I own all my equipment, Vip622 and will have to replace my DP34 with a DPP44, and add another pole mounted dish to pick up the 72.7 sat. Even just that switch is kind of pricey, if you want it with the power inserter. Maybe my 61.5 dish can pick up that sat, if I add another lnb off to the side of the normal one, as 11.2 degrees isn't that bad, and I'm using a 36" dish for 61.5 anyway. I'd still have to buy the DPP44 switch..

I presently have 110, 119, and 61.5 (which is where my locals are) Due to lots of trees, I can't switch to 129, and I can't switch to a single dish Eastern arc setup. That stinks, because I want the new channels! :mad:

Well, I bought a new DPP44 w/power inserter from eBay for $34. Installed a spare Dish500 I have with an I-yoke, and DP lnb, on an extra pole I have for a spare, tweaked it by sight, swapped my DP34 out, went inside, did a switch test, and had "34" reading on 72.7 before full tweaking!

Didn't check all transponders for readings yet, but got that "34" finally tweaked to "56", and everything is coming in fine. I have all the new channels, except Showtime West, since I don't sub to that. I'm happy for now.

So my OWNED sat system now consists of:

1: Single Primestar 1 meter dish, with 2 lnb's, pointed at 110/119 (like super Dish500) (my SD locals are on 110)

1: Glorystar 39" dish pointed at 61.5, with a DP lnb, for HD and my HD locals.

1: The Dish 500 pointed at 72.7 I describe above

Question: On a VIP622 receiver, pointed at 61.5, 72.7, 110, 119 - IF there are duplicate channels on 2 sats, how does the receiver pick which ones to use? Basically, it appears that 72.7 has the same channels as 119, so which one will the receiver default to on dup. channels? Does it just pick the ones with the highest signal level?

Should I remove, and redo all my timers, in case channels have now swapped to a different sat?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts