Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You probably have a D500 with Twin LNB pointed at 110/119 and another D500 pointed at 61.5. The installer might have been talking about adding another D500 for 129 or 72.7. Either would fix you up.

Im confused.. the current installed said He would be replacing my 2 current dishes with one eastern ARC dish that gets all 3 satellites BUT a tree was in the way for the 72 satellite..the 1st guy that came out said THe tree might be in the way but installing a 3rd dish should solve the issue. HOW is that possible? I asked the installer who just left and he said he never heard of 3 dishes for this type of install but I see others on here who said they now have 3 dishes????

I do not have DHPP. I don't really want to sign up, then cancel and get hit with the charges. Plus, my service address is different than my billing address. I would rather repoint the dish, or install the 1000.4 myself. I am guessing the mount for the 1000.4 is different from the mount for the 61.5 dish? Would be great if I could just switch out the 1000.4 on the 61.5 mount. I think I read that can't be done, though.

My installer just used the same mast from my 61.5 to install the 1000.4. Just slipped the old one off and slipped the new one on. The only difference is the new dish required two support brackets that get bolted on to the mast so it doesn't move. Pretty simple.

mast.jpg

*They only installed one support due to the location.

Last edited:
Im confused.. the current installed said He would be replacing my 2 current dishes with one eastern ARC dish that gets all 3 satellites BUT a tree was in the way for the 72 satellite..the 1st guy that came out said THe tree might be in the way but installing a 3rd dish should solve the issue. HOW is that possible? I asked the installer who just left and he said he never heard of 3 dishes for this type of install but I see others on here who said they now have 3 dishes????

OK, there are two single antenna solutions: the D1000.2 for the western arc consisting of 110/119/129 or the D1000.4 for the eastern arc consisting of 61.5/72.7/77. National HD on the EA is on 72.7 and 61.5. There is no national HD on 77, just some SD programming and a few HD locals. National HD on the WA is on 110 and 129. Since you already have 110/119 and 61.5, either adding 129 or 72.7 to the mix would get you everything HD. Maybe the installer was going to add 72.7 from a different install location because otherwise he probably would have replaced your D500 for 110/119 with a D1000.2 for the WA to add 129 and kept your 61.5 as a wing for HD locals.

I called dish about getting the 9 new HD channels on feb. 19th, talked to a woman who spoke real good english and said i didnt want the 1000.4 dish cause i couldnt afford to upgrade my 301/311 recievers. She scheduled an install for a 1000.4 dish on feb.23rd. the installer called that morning at 7:30 am, and said he would be there at 8 am, I said i only needed a dish pointed at the 72.7 location. He called his boss about it, said everything was ok and installed a 3rd dish and a DPP44 and hooked the power inserter to the 722 reciever. Everything works well, this morning i went online to pay marchs bill and the 15.00 charge had already been added. I now have the 110/119/61.5/72.7 for my 722/301/311 recievers, all works well.

Hey at least u can get someone to do the upgrade i been trying now for 3 weeks they don;t wanna do it . What should i do

So a friend and I tried to repoint my 61.5 dish to 129 today. He got up on the roof, but said he could not adjust the skew. There was no adjustment for it. Does that sound right.? Do I need to get a different mount or dish? I really need to keep 110 and would like to keep 119. Can I install a 1000. 2 dish?

So a friend and I tried to repoint my 61.5 dish to 129 today. He got up on the roof, but said he could not adjust the skew. There was no adjustment for it. Does that sound right.? Do I need to get a different mount or dish? I really need to keep 110 and would like to keep 119. Can I install a 1000. 2 dish?

Skew relates only to 1000.2/4 dishes.

So far, I have not been able to find the 129 signal. I may not be able to get it, as I have trees a ways behind my house. Can I point my 61.5 at 72 or 77 and get all my channels? I am guessing this will not work, as everything seems to poinr to 129. I have all american for the distants, so wnat to keep 110 and 119. I guess I could a dish 1000.4 and a switch to add the 110/119?

IF you are trying to set a side sat for one satellite , you need to adjust the skew on a dish 500 to 90. Then aim and point till you hit the satellite you want. Depending on whether you are using a dish pro dual or single lnb and an lnb adapter to make it aim at the center of the dish.

Well, I'm posting my experience as requested in the OP:

I chatted with a DISH Tech Support Rep. I explained that I have a DISH 500 pointed at 110 & 119 along with a separate DISH 500 pointed at 61.5 and that I have DHP. I asked how much it would cost to have DISH re-aim my 61.5 dish at 129.

He told me it would just be $15.

So the "install" is scheduled for next Saturday. I fear there will be no LOS. My home is under a canopy of trees, but frankly 110/119 & 61.5 all seem to be pointed right at trees and I have no signal problems. However, it seems like 129 is more problematic, so we'll see. I wonder what'll happen if they can't get 129? I do have an antenna tower. I wonder if they'd install there. I'll let you know how it goes Saturday.

Well, I'm posting my experience as requested in the OP:

I chatted with a DISH Tech Support Rep. I explained that I have a DISH 500 pointed at 110 & 119 along with a separate DISH 500 pointed at 61.5 and that I have DHP. I asked how much it would cost to have DISH re-aim my 61.5 dish at 129.

He told me it would just be $15.

So the "install" is scheduled for next Saturday. I fear there will be no LOS. My home is under a canopy of trees, but frankly 110/119 & 61.5 all seem to be pointed right at trees and I have no signal problems. However, it seems like 129 is more problematic, so we'll see. I wonder what'll happen if they can't get 129? I do have an antenna tower. I wonder if they'd install there. I'll let you know how it goes Saturday.
Depends on the height of the tower. If it is accessable from a standard ladder and the tech can work safely, he may be able to use the tower as a mounting location. He will let you know. Based on what we are required to carry with us as standard tools and accessories to perform standard( free) installs and services, it is not likely the antenna tower can be utilized.
However, I have mounted dishes on HAM radio towers before. I was easilt able to lean my ladder against the tower and do the job.
If you have one of those fiberglass or thin schedule( guage) metal towers typically used for element type tv antennas, the answer will be no.
One thing you can ask of the tech is this. Ask him to call Dish on your behalf and see if they can upgrade your existing receivers to MPEG 4 and then install a 1000.4...
One issue you have is your susbscription to AAD. A 1000.4 and your D-500 would have you pointing at 5 orbital slots. This would require two switches.
THis adding of HD Channels to the 72.7 and 129 is causing quite a bit of controversy. Hopefully the powers that be at Dish can fix this.
Otherwise, customers such as yourself will have to give up something to get something else.

I got lucky today. I was going to get supper and saw a guy with his logo on the side of the truck for satellites :)

He didn't know about the HD 'issue' with 61.5 but he came by and i am now on 129

Mine was pretty easy as the dish that was getting me the 110 and 119 are on a Dish 1000 ( i think ). So he just removed the LNB from the wing DISH and put it back where it was in the first place years ago and it's fixed. He probably could have repointed the other dish faster than moving the LNB's around. Basically he undid the wing workaround and went with the original setup.

The Local spot beam signal strength is mid to upper twenties but it might be ok. The 61.5 DISH peaked were not that great either so I just must be kinda on the suck side for B'ham locals.

I checked a few of the other HD channels on 129 and it was 50+ on E! HD and CNN HD and FOX HD.

if I lose signals with a light rain I guess I can 'move' and get HD locals from Meridian.

Depends on the height of the tower. If it is accessable from a standard ladder and the tech can work safely, he may be able to use the tower as a mounting location...If you have one of those fiberglass or thin schedule( guage) metal towers typically used for element type tv antennas, the answer will be no...
I don't know if my tower would count as what you're calling "thin schedule (guage) metal", but it's 50', no guide wires, and I scale my 280 lb fat a$$ up there to adjust the antenna without any trouble. I admit it does start to sway a bit when I reach the top, but it did the same thing 13 years ago when the guy installed it. He was as heavy as I am.

One thing you can ask of the tech is this. Ask him to call Dish on your behalf and see if they can upgrade your existing receivers to MPEG 4
I have only 2 receivers and they're ViP 622 & ViP 722.
...and then install a 1000.4...
Given my tree situation, I doubt they'd find an opening from one dish. For instance, my 110/119 dish is on one end of the roof and the 61.5 is on the opposite end. It's a metal roof, FWIW.

I don't know if my tower would count as what you're calling "thin schedule (guage) metal", but it's 50', no guide wires, and I scale my 280 lb fat a$$ up there to adjust the antenna without any trouble. I admit it does start to sway a bit when I reach the top, but it did the same thing 13 years ago when the guy installed it. He was as heavy as I am.

I have only 2 receivers and they're ViP 622 & ViP 722. Given my tree situation, I doubt they'd find an opening from one dish. For instance, my 110/119 dish is on one end of the roof and the 61.5 is on the opposite end. It's a metal roof, FWIW.
How do you get up to the top of a 1 1/2 inch diameter 50 foot tall mast? Shimmy your way up?
I will tell you this, no one is going up that tower without safety gear. If they fall and are injured or killed guess what? YOU are liable.
Don't want to appear confrontational here, but there are limits to what most of us will do. Scaling 50 foot towers isn't part of the equation no matter how easy the customer says he can do it.
THe other issue is that dish should it be placed up on top of the mast would have to be serviced. That means someone else will have to climb up there to get to it.
The other thing is the QC inspector would fail the job as unapproved.

I went to my sisters house today for my moms birthday party. They have a 1k.2 in the backyard. I noticed that they didn't have the new HD.

Looked and they had a second dish mounted when they added HD pointed at 61.5.

I loaded up my dishpointer on iPhone and sure enough, 129 is blocked in that location by a tree.

I have never seen that combo here. They didn't even know about the channels and I told them our HD locals just got uplinked to another satellite (in our case 77). They have perfect LOS to EA in the 61.5 location.

I just told him I would tell them when they lit up our HD locals on 77 and he could call then.

I would imagine they will do that one for free since it involves our locals.

How do you get up to the top of a 1 1/2 inch diameter 50 foot tall mast? Shimmy your way up?
I will tell you this, no one is going up that tower without safety gear. If they fall and are injured or killed guess what? YOU are liable.
Don't want to appear confrontational here, but there are limits to what most of us will do. Scaling 50 foot towers isn't part of the equation no matter how easy the customer says he can do it.
THe other issue is that dish should it be placed up on top of the mast would have to be serviced. That means someone else will have to climb up there to get to it.
The other thing is the QC inspector would fail the job as unapproved.

I'm probably just not explaining it correctly. It is a tower consisting of three parallel poles all joined together by welded contigious cross-braces (I don't know the correct nomenclature). Here's a picture of an example I found on the net.
Galvanized%20tower%20sections.JPG

When it was professionally installed, the base was buried in concrete to meet tolerances negating the need for guy wires.

Bottom line, if you'll review my post, I said, "I wonder if they'd install there". I never suggested that I would insist they install there. If the issue comes up, I will simply ask and defer to the installer's judgement.

Additionally, I would never even consider asking them to install it at the top of the 50' tower. I'm no professional, but I would imagine the potential for sway at that height would not allow for signal lock on windy days, especially since the dish has more potential to catch wind than my antenna elements. If, and I mean if, it is installed on the tower, it would only be feasible at about the half-way mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts