Static IP address required for DishOnline?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Do you know what the average data rate is per hr with the sling at a given speed?

With our limited 4G LTE phone family plan data plan with Verizon, how much more data would we need to purchase in order for her to access programs on the iPad? I would estimate an average monthly viewing total of 40 hours with several months having little or no useage at all. Perhaps it would make more sense to purchase data a la carte or pre paid?

I don't think 4 G is available at the cabin but 3 G is for sure.

I think I may have answered my own question. I came across a data calculator on Verizon's website and it shows that it takes aproximately 1GB/hr for HD and 650 MB/hr for SD streaming video. That means I would need about 35+ GBs per month. Looks like it would be cost prohibitive to go the iPad route, especially when you add in the additional cost of the iPad. Internet streaming appears to be more reasonable, but I would be courious to know what the streaming rate is for the Sling in the new Hopper.

That's in line with my experiences with the Sling Adapter on my 722 and using it outside our house. Our AT&T DSL is the limiting factor on what can be streamed and it runs around 500-600 Kbps when streaming HD content. If I use my phone's cellular data, I blow through my plan's data cap (200 MB) in under an hour.

With our limited 4G LTE phone family plan data plan with Verizon, how much more data would we need to purchase in order for her to access programs on the iPad? I would estimate an average monthly viewing total of 40 hours with several months having little or no useage at all. Perhaps it would make more sense to purchase data a la carte or pre paid?

I don't think 4 G is available at the cabin but 3 G is for sure.

Err- no. You don't need to stream to the iPad. The new Hopper loads the program onto the iPad. You watch it off the iPad, not over 3G/4G. The iPad could be wifi only, for that matter.

Streaming to the iPad or other device is another feature altogether.

As an experiment to see if you can get it working by putting your receiver in the DMZ and see if you can connect. Little risk to your network by having a media device in the open and not behind a firewall.

Jim:

The rep was just plain wrong. Why go through all these gyrations due to an ill informed support rep.

Lots of things can break this, and none of them have to do with WAN addresses that are static or dynamic.

Could be DNS, could be routing issues could even be a problem with the computer itself.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Err- no. You don't need to stream to the iPad. The new Hopper loads the program onto the iPad. You watch it off the iPad, not over 3G/4G. The iPad could be wifi only, for that matter.

Streaming to the iPad or other device is another feature altogether.

I think I got it. I should use an iPad for downloading "recorded" programs from the Hopper due to high Data costs to download a live stream and use the internet if I want to stream live programing to my computer in the cabin.

How many folks are actually using their Sling for that purpose?

I'm wondering if I'm kidding myself thinking that the Sling is going to be able to do what I want?. Has anyone had success in streaming live programing ove the internet and if so, what upload speed plan do you have and who is your ISP?

I'm wondering if I'm kidding myself thinking that the Sling is going to be able to do what I want?. Has anyone had success in streaming live programing ove the internet and if so, what upload speed plan do you have and who is your ISP?

I do it all the time (well really once in awhile) with my 722/Sling Adapter. This more frequently works than playback of recordings! The only issue I have with a 722 not k is that I can't play live OTA. I have to start a recording first, and then chase play. This is supposedly not a problem for a 722k or Hopper.

Oh and I have Cox with a SOHO account (for static IP) that supposedly gives me 5/2. All tests show I'm getting more like 30/6.

Last edited:
I have used it several times to stream either recorded programs or live programs off my 722k with sling adapter. Right now I am at Disney world in Florida, the WiFi speed is 2.98Mbps down and .98 up. and it is a little choppy. The closer you get to 4Mbps the better.

I sling all the time. I pay for 25 down and 5 up but normally get 30-50 down and 15-20 up with Comcast. It works great on my iPhone and Adroid on the ATT network here. With the 4g on my Android the quality is great and never really have issues.

I get 1.8 mb upload and it works great. It shows me receiving around 500 kbps at the remote location on the tablet or phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts