stb problem - anyone else? Yes, don't reboot if you don't have to

I posted earlier that my box was having the same problem... I am posting now to give everyone hope. Its working again!!!! 100% back to normal. Not sure what happend but I left it in standby for 2 hours without turning it on or rebooting and now everything is back to normal. When I first turned it on it locked up again so I figured it was the same but I used the power button on the front for 10 seconds and it came back to life and I'm able to change channels and surf the PG.

FYI: I checked to see if there were any SW updates... No luck. Still running 1.04/ 6.00/ 1.36/ 19.8E

Best bet is to just put it in standby and walk away from it for awhile. Go watch a DVD.

Good luck!

You know what's funny is that my switch44 went dead with Dish Network. I just found a bunch of satellite problems when I got home. I have three dish boxes out of comission. I haven't even tried to the VOOM box in my bed room. Enough for tonight since I got home I had to climb to the roof and check the switch and connections for the dish network. Luckly I got the Voom to work.

Problem Fixed!!!

After struggling with different fixes all day, the STB seems to be working aok now. Presumably the problem has been resolved by VOOM. In spite of today's problems, I still love Voom!

My stb has locked up THREE times this evening according to my wife. She's very unhappy with Voom. I can't blame her. I am too. I'm also pissed that they went ahead and billed me after I was told by a CSR that they wouldn't bill me until the end of the month. I just got installed a week and a half ago.

When I got home from work, I rebooted all three of my STB's, let them reload the PG, and I'm now Vooming again.
All seems to be well (knock on wood.)

After rebooting both my rec's & letting the pg load all is well now. Thank you Voom for identifiying the prob. & fixing it on the same day. Just don't let it happen again. :D

Well, since it seems all of your problems started this morning(where mine was just fine) and yours are starting to get fixed, mine which started about 7:30pm central, will probably be ironed out by morning. I will just leave the funky STB in standby all night(is that where there is a red satellite or when there is nothing lit up at all?) It was sitting with the red sat icon, and I just hit the SAT button on the remote, that puts it in standyby, right? So no voom on the big tv, no air where the big tv is(window unit fan went kaput and no replacement for a week), i'm doing just peachy. My other STB seems to be working ok, but I am scared to attempt to change the channel, it will stay put on Monsters I guess ;-) If all else fails, DVD for bed.

Augurr

I've had mine off most of the day after rebooting several times. The main guide came up right away when I just tried it, but it went to a black screen when tuning a channel. I'm going to reboot and see if it works for me like it has started working for others.

I just got it saturday, so it's kind of disturbing to be having these problems and trying to explain to my wife that it's just coincidence so close to when we got it installed. I hope this won't be the norm, because she won't go for it if that's the case.

Btw, I just joined up and I wanted to say this is a great resource, so my hat is off to the folks who run this site.

As I noted in an earlier post on this thread my STB went through all the symptoms mentioned in this thread but now boots to the:

Voom HDTV Delivered intro screen displaying Starting, please wait...

I am concerned that the software update might not download the fix because the STB does not seem to be fully booting.

Does anyone have any feedback?

moltensilver

If you have a red light, then it's NOT in standby. You will have to reboot the unit by pushing & holding the power button on the front of the unit for 6 or so seconds. Let go. Then it will reboot fully. There should be no lights on after the reboot. Then turn the unit on & alow it to donwload the program info. remember it takes 20 minutes of so.

txdude said:
Guess I got lucky... I had no problems with either of my receivers :cool: . But, reading this thread does make me feel a tiny bit left out :p
I have a feeling that it only effected rec's that have the newest firmware(6.0) firmware. What firmware do your rec's have?

Couch Patato said:
I have a feeling that it only effected rec's that have the newest firmware(6.0) firmware. What firmware do your rec's have?[/QUOTE

yeah... old on both my receivers
Epg:1.9.6D
Otv:C0117
Nep:568

If you have a red light, then it's NOT in standby. You will have to reboot the unit by pushing & holding the power button on the front of the unit for 6 or so seconds. Let go. Then it will reboot fully. There should be no lights on after the reboot. Then turn the unit on & alow it to donwload the program info. remember it takes 20 minutes of so.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatly, my unit does not get past the initial boot screen to begin downloading the program information. It hangs on the very beginning Voom black screen. I have more details on my other post earlier in the thread. Currently, though I believe there is no light on the actual STB but the unit is still hung.

moltensilver

moltensilver said:
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatly, my unit does not get past the initial boot screen to begin downloading the program information. It hangs on the very beginning Voom black screen. I have more details on my other post earlier in the thread. Currently, though I believe there is no light on the actual STB but the unit is still hung.

moltensilver
Try unpugging it for an hour. Then see if it boots up.

moltensilver said:

moltensilver

I have the same exact problem you have. I tried rebooting using both methods - by pressing the power button for 10 sec, or unplugging it and waiting an hour or so and pluggin it again, and it still gets stuck at Starting, Please wait... screen. I left it for another hour and it still stuck. I've already rebooted atleast 10-20 times and get the same result.

It does look like the unit doesn't completely boot up so I don't know if it'll be able to download whatever it needs to get fixed.

Btw, I do have the new version 6.0 unit since I just got it installed last week.

Anybody have any ideas? Should I just accept defeat and call Voom up to schedule a replacement STB?

jolibee

After having my STB in standby mode for more than 7 hours overnight I tried this morning got no picture unit locked up so I pressed power button on front of STB for 10 seconds it rebooted I then called CSR at VOOM they told me to try again by using power button on the STB and a picture did come on, I then tried changing channels by punching the numbers on the remote and then changed the channels by pressing channel up/down buttons and so far everthing if ok, I have not tried channel guide was told by CSR to wait at least 45 mins and try it then, was also told that there was a fix overnight, we'll see.

It is now more than 2 hours since I have left the STB on and untouched to let the PG download, I've channeled up/down manually changed channels used the PG to change channels also tried local channels and I think everything else in between and it seems to be ok at this time, we'll see.

It does look like the unit doesn't completely boot up so I don't know if it'll be able to download whatever it needs to get fixed.

Yes that is exactly how it seems to me as well. I just checked it and the unit is still stuck on the Starting... screen. I am going to take Couch Potatoe's advice and unplug it for awhile (I think I may have done that earlier however). I am going to bed (been up all night 8) ). Please post if you find a solution from voom. I will most likely be calling this evening and I will do the same.

Thanks, moltensilver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)