stb problem - anyone else? Yes, don't reboot if you don't have to

Well, I left the STB off last night. By off, I mean that there was a red satellite icon and I pushed the SAT button on the remote. So I held the power button on the front of the STB to kick start it, and it booted, but alas still nothing. I still get a red satellite. So I hit the FAV button to start getting the PG, but that won't happen if it still thinks there is no Satellite link, right? Guess I will have to call Voom anyway.

Augurr said:
Well, I left the STB off last night. By off, I mean that there was a red satellite icon and I pushed the SAT button on the remote. So I held the power button on the front of the STB to kick start it, and it booted, but alas still nothing. I still get a red satellite. So I hit the FAV button to start getting the PG, but that won't happen if it still thinks there is no Satellite link, right? Guess I will have to call Voom anyway.

When the STB is off/standby mode there are NO lights on at all.

Am I the only one still without service?

I keep getting "Starting Voom - Please wait" msge since yesterday. Numerous soft and hard reboots and calls to Voom CSR's brought about absolutely nothing. I just got Voom 10 days ago and am used to freeze ups while channel surfing on a daily basis - but this current problem just won't go away.
Is there anyone still experiencing frozen STB ?????? Any suggestions on how to resolve that? Voom CSR this morning told me that the problem will be resolved "soon" for everyone. When I called 3 hours later - I was told that they can only fix the problem on an individual basis and may have to send a tech. Another CSR did not even know there was a problem. Help!!! Marty in Rego, Park (NYC)

Martin586 said:
I keep getting "Starting Voom - Please wait" msge since yesterday. Numerous soft and hard reboots and calls to Voom CSR's brought about absolutely nothing. I just got Voom 10 days ago and am used to freeze ups while channel surfing on a daily basis - but this current problem just won't go away.
Is there anyone still experiencing frozen STB ?????? Any suggestions on how to resolve that? Voom CSR this morning told me that the problem will be resolved "soon" for everyone. When I called 3 hours later - I was told that they can only fix the problem on an individual basis and may have to send a tech. Another CSR did not even know there was a problem. Help!!! Marty in Rego, Park (NYC)
Martin586, try this: unplug your STB; disconnect the coax cable coming from the dish; plug the STB in; wait a minute or two. If you see no lights, press the Power button. You should see red satellite icon. Wait another minute. If you get nothing on your screen press the VOOM button on your remote. See if you can get that far.

I just was installed last Thursday and my 2 STB's are both out......

I spoke with a girl last night that stated there was satillite issues and that I should reboot the unit this morning and it should be ok. Didn't work.

Spoke to a tech this morning and he found out that a broadcasted upgrade failed mid process leaving the STB's hung. They are most likely trying to recover them. He recorded my serial numbers of my cards and STBs with HDQ and noted that I demanded a credit for every day I am without service. If within 48 hours the system is not back I asked that a technician come out and swap my equipment.

I recommend you call in and:
1) Demand reimbursement for lost service.
2) Record all your unit information for immediate replacement if issue is not resolved in 48 hours.
3)Complain to them about posting service related information sooner so we all do not screw up our TVs and expensive audio/video equipment trying to troubleshoot their problem. The website sucks for news and info.
4) Did anyone else experience lengthy hold times or notice that the "chat with a rep" option was gone from the website. Complain about that.
5)Organize their TV guide software better and fix the crappy program bugs. Direct TV is gonna kick their ass in this department. Not having Ultimate TV sucks too :mad:

Good luck to all.....Now I'm sounding like a VOOM rep! :eek:

Maybe they should call it......BOOOMM!

M3RC4RY

Martin586 said:
Yes, I'm having same problem here in Tampa, Florida! Only had Voom since 7/14 and worked good until yesterday. Don't no if I should keep rebooting or just give up and wait until get service on it next week. Guess it won't hurt to keep messing with it, maybe it will work. Also, there is no lights on the front pannel which indicates sleep mode, but with my TV on I still have voom screen and no lights on front at all, What's up with that?

Ilya said:
Martin586, try this: unplug your STB; disconnect the coax cable coming from the dish; plug the STB in; wait a minute or two. If you see no lights, press the Power button. You should see red satellite icon. Wait another minute. If you get nothing on your screen press the VOOM button on your remote. See if you can get that far.

Sorry - Did not work. The red satellite icon will not come on, no matter what!
Still getting "Starting Voom" msge

Ilya said:

You never said whether to reconnect the coax after plugging power back in? Should that be done in there somewhere?

Augurr

Speaking of the orange lights, after it boots, should any of those bars stay lit to let you know which resolution you are on? The only light I have on my working STB is the green sat icon. And will we ever see a time display with an upgrade?

Augurr

I had no real problems yesterday. One of my Voom STBs locked last night around 8pm and I rebooted (using power button) and all was fine after that. I have had Voom for a few months now and I'm running the old software.

It appears something was being updated at Voom yesterday and everyone with the new code (6.0) is now messed up, and most with the old code are running fine again. So for all those people who wanted their boxes swapped so they could get the new code, be glad you didn't.

Augurr said:
You never said whether to reconnect the coax after plugging power back in? Should that be done in there somewhere?
I believe the box should be able to boot even without the coax cables connected. If it doesn't, something must be really wrong with it...

Ilya said:
I believe the box should be able to boot even without the coax cables connected. If it doesn't, something must be really wrong with it...

Yeah, thats true.

I tried rebooting without the satellite cable connected and it still gets stuck at "Starting, Please wait..." screen. My theory is that the software/firmware got corrupted and now the unit cannot complete booting up. Which means it is practically dead. I hope I'm wrong though.

Anyway, I just called Voom again and they keep insisting that the problem is on their side, and not my unit, and that they are trying to get it fixed right now. :confused:

What a way to launch the all new 6.0 units => by killing all of them. :rolleyes:

FunkyBoss said:
I
It appears something was being updated at Voom yesterday and everyone with the new code (6.0) is now messed up, and most with the old code are running fine again. So for all those people who wanted their boxes swapped so they could get the new code, be glad you didn't.

Wrong. I have the old code and also getting nothing since yesterday morning. I have hard and soft booted at least 20 times. CSR tried to take me thru a re-install and couldn't even get to that screen. Screen goes totally black. She left the line and came back and said that it is their problem and Motorola is working on. Should be fixed in an hour. I doubt that. I also asked for a credit and she noted that. I don't think we should have to ask for a credit... good business practice should be that they should offerit. If it is Motorola's fault...then let Motorola pay for it. So now I have been sitting with the old box. 5.68 and nothing working. So it isn't just the new 6.0. However, the CSR says that not all boxes were affected. so it may have been a selective thing. I am In PA.

Working great here in oregon, Have had Voom since November, and other than a completely botched installation, and no OTA's (not vooms fault---local channels fault), everything is working good, still have all my channels, and also checked my account and am still showing just a debit of 8 bucks from the beginning of the month (300 dollar credit from march ran out this month)

gutter said:
Wrong. I have the old code and also getting nothing since yesterday morning. I have hard and soft booted at least 20 times... So it isn't just the new 6.0. However, the CSR says that not all boxes were affected. so it may have been a selective thing. I am In PA.

Wow, this gets even better. I guess I'll hold off on cancelling my second STB I'm leasing that I rarely watch and returning it to Voom just in case one of the boxes gets messed up, I cann fall back to the other. Better keep it unplugged though so Voom doesn't screw it up! :eek:

Ilya said:

Well I tried that too when I got home. Nothing. PG comes up, but red sat icon is still there and I see nothing on the channels. Guess Voom will have to roll a truck and bring me a new STB. Looks like mine is unfixable.

VOOM CSR told me to leave it in standby for the next two weeks and it will come back. (lol)

Augurr said:
PG comes up, but red sat icon is still there and I see nothing on the channels.
Ok, so your STB is not locking up: it's booting fine. This is what you should get when the satellite cable is disconnected. Now connect the satellite cable and check the signal strength.

I have 2 stbs with the old software, got 4 more hooked up last Friday. Now one of the new stbs always shows the red sat icon and will show the main voom menu. If I try to go to system setup the screen turns black and does nothing. I swapped another new stb with this to make sure the run was good and it worked fine. I have tried leaving it unplugged for the entire day, it was working fine till these problems showed up.

Should I call voom or does anyone have any other tricks to try?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)