stb reboots whenever I switch channel 5-1 to 7-1 or back!

owlbox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
MA
Help!!!!! - Voom STB is rebooting often

My STB has rebooted several times in the past 2 days while changing channels with the ch up/dwn button. It looks just like the box has done a soft reset by holding the power button in for a few seconds. We loose all the PG info which is consistent with above comment. I don't think I've seen it do it without using the remote to change channels. I'll try to keep an eye out for it rebooting at other times. We've had pretty heavy rain for two days now. I have no idea if it is a factor or just a coincidence... most likely the latter.
Anyone have any ideas or experienced similar behavior? :eek:

owlbox said:
We've had pretty heavy rain for two days now...
Did you have any instantaneous power interruptions? That could've caused it!

owlbox said:
My STB has rebooted several times in the past 2 days while changing channels with the ch up/dwn button. It looks just like the box has done a soft reset by holding the power button in for a few seconds. We loose all the PG info which is consistent with above comment. I don't think I've seen it do it without using the remote to change channels. I'll try to keep an eye out for it rebooting at other times. We've had pretty heavy rain for two days now. I have no idea if it is a factor or just a coincidence... most likely the latter.
Anyone have any ideas or experienced similar behavior? :eek:
Ditto Here in Massachusetts. Had rain for last couple of days. Changing channel rebooting the box pretty regularly (mostly while watching OTA).
Anyone else?

More details

In my case my PG had some channels that didn't exist one of which was 5-11. I found my box resets when scanning down the channels and going through 5-11 (bogus) to 5-2 and 5-1. It happened several times tonight. I could make it happen any time I wanted. During this time I noticed that my PG did not contain info for what was on any channels. It had the call letters but not the content. After rebooting a few times the content showed up in the PG. I also hid all the bogus channels. Now if I start on a higher channel and scan down one at a time with the channel down button, IT NO LONGER RESETS. Of course it no longer tunes to 5-11 either. I'm so sick and tired of it reseting that I give up for now. Maybe tomorrow I'll unhide 5-11 and see if the problem returns. :eek:

owlbox said:
In my case my PG had some channels that didn't exist one of which was 5-11. I found my box resets when scanning down the channels and going through 5-11 (bogus) to 5-2 and 5-1. It happened several times tonight. I could make it happen any time I wanted. During this time I noticed that my PG did not contain info for what was on any channels. It had the call letters but not the content. After rebooting a few times the content showed up in the PG. I also hid all the bogus channels. Now if I start on a higher channel and scan down one at a time with the channel down button, IT NO LONGER RESETS. Of course it no longer tunes to 5-11 either. I'm so sick and tired of it reseting that I give up for now. Maybe tomorrow I'll unhide 5-11 and see if the problem returns. :eek:
It happens for me in Channels 5-11 and 6-1 and 6-2. How do you hide the channels? 5-11 is a bogus channel but 6-1 and 6-2 are normal ABC - RI channels where I sometimes do get signal. Owlbox, are you also in MA by any chance?

smodak said:
It happens for me in Channels 5-11 and 6-1 and 6-2. How do you hide the channels? 5-11 is a bogus channel but 6-1 and 6-2 are normal ABC - RI channels where I sometimes do get signal. Owlbox, are you also in MA by any chance?

In the system options is the menu to hide the locals that you don't want.

Smodak - Yes. I am just west of Milford. Everything seems to be working ok since I hid the bogus channels. Odd though, this only seemed to start acting up during the 2 days of bad weather. If it continues to work ok tonight, I'll try unhiding 5-11 and see if the problem comes back. I didn't hide 6-1 or 6-2 because I do watch them occasionally.

Ilya - no power problems everything is run off an online UPS, clean and steady.

Sean - I'm wondering if this is another manifestation of the new code bug which causes the box to lock up when changing channels rapidly. Odd thing is it only happens when tuning across certain OTA channels that aren't there. :eek:

Wierd problem

The box reboots 90% of the time going from 5-1 to 7-1 or back

Both channels are 95+ signal strength and pick up fine on the hd tuner in my tv. But the stb reboots.

STB is running latest 6.20

Any ideas what to do?

Not sure where you are. I'm in eastern Mass. Anyway, my box was doing the same thing. I found there were some channels included in the PG that were bogus. When I hid 5-11, the problem stopped. While I was at it, I hid any other bogus channels. The odd thing is this behavior just started this past week and the software hasn't changed for a long time now. Running 6.20 :shocked

I am in Boston and I noticed the same thing as well. I didn't think anything about until now that you mentioned it. I'll try hiding 5-11 and see if the problem goes away.

Benji

FYI: I have passed the above information to VOOM engineers. They are looking into it. The fact that the problem can be reproduced by several people is very encouraging. Hopefully they will be able to nail it down. Please post your further observations.

same thing was happen to me here in mesquite. when I would turn the box on it would also tell me there was a DVI conflict. the box had to be replaced. It all works fine now

I think it is another firmware bug. If I stay on Ch 5.11 for a few seconds and then move up or down, it resets every time. I had an Install Inc tech come out yesterday and he tried another STB with identical problem.

I think it is a minor problem since hiding that bogus channel solves the problem.

This same problem is discussed in another thread. It started to happen about 3 weeks ago whenever I go through ch 5.11 which is not a broadcasting channel. I thought my STB was defective so I had Install Inc replace it yesterday but it happens on the new STB too.

I just hid 5.11 and no more problem. It appears to be a bug but I am puzzeled as to why it suddenly started to happen. Before about 3 weeks ago, I used to go through that same channel and it never reset the STB.

Same here, after hiding any bogus channels all is well. Not sure why it just started to happen.

My situation seems similar. A few weeks ago, our PBS affiliate in Pitsburgh, WQED began transmitting. However, it comes in on 13-2, whereas the PG is on 13-3. I hide 13-3, and tune to 13-2 to watch. It seems now my box has become much more unstable, locking up and re-booting somewhat frequently, every couple days or so. And then it's difficult to reset things: after booting it takes several hours for things to stabalize. And then, if I switch to an OTA station, chances are good of another freeze-up. Rather annoying.

I'm reluctant to get a service call in, unless someone out there has a good idea of what's cuasing this. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)