Steve Jobs: "Good artists copy, great artists steal"

They really didn't give it away. Xerox was permitted to buy 100,000 pre-IPO shares of Apple. In exchange for this, Apple got the right to examine and adapt the technology to their computer products. Less than a year latter that 1 million dollar investment was worth 17.6 million. That's not too bad for a technology that they didn't know what to do with.

Xerox sued Apple to insure that, in the event that Apple won their suit against Microsoft, Xerox would be the owners of the look and feel copyright. Their lawsuit was dismissed.

I didn't know that! Thanks for more details on this useless debate Who started it anyway? :D

And how about all the Jailbreak Apps that have "donated" feature-sets to iOS 5? I suppose Apple thinks those are fair game, but the they're poaching "law-abiding" iOS Developers, too. Camera+ is a great little app that seems to have influenced some of iOS's new Camera app.

I wonder if the App Developer Agreement has wording to the effect of, "you agree not to sue Apple if we find something in your work that we want for the next release of iOS."

And how about all the Jailbreak Apps...
"Jailbreakers are hackers and hackers are terrorists.
Apple converting their useless ideas into magic is the highlight of their miserable lives."

Something along those lines...

Diogen.

You know, I am starting to tire of all of this. Everybody steals ideas from everyone else in the tech world. Not certain what the point is. Who inspired who, who took what from where, and on and on.

I'd argue both Apple and Google should pay homage to Palm for their OS, so much of what I see in both Android and iOS is reminiscent of my many Palm PDAs and smartphone. But again, who cares?

And how about all the Jailbreak Apps that have "donated" feature-sets to iOS 5? I suppose Apple thinks those are fair game, but the they're poaching "law-abiding" iOS Developers, too. Camera+ is a great little app that seems to have influenced some of iOS's new Camera app.

I wonder if the App Developer Agreement has wording to the effect of, "you agree not to sue Apple if we find something in your work that we want for the next release of iOS."

Just following in the footsteps of Microsoft. Gates and Co were infamous back in the win 3-5 days of "acquiring" independent apps. You got a letter saying that MS liked your concept and was prepared to offer you a few thousand for the rights. Refuse, and they did it anyway, but without paying you.

Diogen,

Why the hatred of Apple. I am a Windows PC guy myself and do not care for the MAC PC OS at all. But I have no hatred of MAC. It is important that both Apple and MS steal, innovate, and succeed. With this constant competition they both end up making a better product for all of us

Why the hatred of Apple.
Was that a question (don't see a question mark)? Here is the answer.
It's not Apple, not Mac, not OS X, not iOS. It's who runs the company.

And yes, I believe they are "more guilty" than anybody else...By a mile...

Diogen.

tshirtlogo.jpg

Is this Mr. Jobs giving others carte blanche to borrow heavily from their work?

Somehow I suspect that if the situation is reversed that Apple won't be so "forgiving".

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Today's letter of the day is "i" - brought to you by Apple.

I saw that story the other day. I am sure Apple knew the suit coming the second they chose iCloud, and had put money away to buy them off.

This will be an interesting case, I will be following. In the 80's I formed a company and incorporated it in the state of Florida. My company is still in business. 2 years alter I incorporated, another business decided to start using my name to promote their business and did a good deal of advertising. I got hammered with phone calls for unrelated products and services. My attorney sent them notice and they stopped. At that time my attorney gave me good advice that I failed to follow, didn't have the money! He suggested I register the name as a trademark. 3 years later, two other businesses in other states began to use my name. Many have come and gone. The deal is that within a state a company may not use the same name to promote it's products and services regardless of TM registration, but a business in a different state may unless you registered your TM. To officially protect your unregistered trademarks you need to add the ™ to it and if Registered you must add the ®. I see icloud business does neither and a quick search shows icloud is not registered either. icloud LLC appears to have made the same mistake I did and will likely lose the case and icloud will be determined by the courts to be in the public domain as a word. Apple or anyone else will not be able to form a corporation in Arizona using that name but the icloud corporation likely will not be able to stop Apple from using it as a public word. If icloud LLC wins, then I need to call my attorney and go after all those companies who have used my company name to promote their products and services. I hope this does not get settled out of court as I'd like to see the courts rule on this.

If memory serves, not a single lawsuit brought against Apple was ever decided by the courts. Especially with the latest i-names.
I don't believe this will either. Settlement amounts are hardly ever disclosed, even when public companies were involved.
Case in point: Cisco and Apple "sharing" the iPhone trademark and Fujitsu "letting" Apple use the iPad name...:)
Apple Inc. litigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diogen.

Well, if you read the whole article, the idea seems pretty ingenious to me.

I kind of like the "you can have web access - BUT nothing else" concept. I can see instances where that could be valuable, not to mention the Find My Mac aspect. As it is, my mac has an anti-theft program where if I report it stolen, it will find its location (not just through mobile me, but through Mackeeper) and will take a snapshot with the camera the next time the computer is in a browser mode. Genius. :)

Not always a grand conspiracy.

...the idea seems pretty ingenious to me.
It is. Just not theirs.
Some Latitudes use a lightweight Linux boot (with its own power on button) for years.
And stripping that OS GUI to the browser is Google's.

And a genius is like a "great artist"...:)

Diogen.