Still 0% signal strength on 5800...

evububba

Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
0% Signal Strength on 5800?? (4700 works...)

Like the title says, I have a used 5800 which has been properly "activated" by Bell (by phone only so far), but when connected to a known, working dish, I get ZERO signal strength!

All menus on the 5800 seem to work OK, you can walk through the set-up, defaults, and everything else.

It is NOT a cabling/LNB issue as TWO 4700's running off the same LNB are working 100%. I simply disconnect the 4700, connect the 5800, and zero signal in the aiming menu!

The sat connector on the back of the 5800 reads 13V-18V. (seems a tad variable)

Ideas? :confused:

do this

-unhook the cable from the receiver
-run a check switch (menu 6-1-1 check switch)
-let it run through...once complete power off and hook the line back in
-rerun the check switch

If the unit was set up for a DishPro setup, and you are going to Legacy (with a 4700 you should be on Legacy), you have to clear the switch matrix or it wont work

As for the 13/18...there are 2 voltages
vertical is 13 volts
horizontal is 18 volts :)

Cool!

I'll give it try. (I did do that, but with the cable connected...)

Also, what about that choice in the preferences about "Switch/UHF"? What does it mean?

FYI, I did the "factory defaults" choice, but that didn't seem to do anything worthwhile. (was that a bad thing to do?)

Oh yeah, the guy I got it from gave me the dual-head dish as well... Is this the "Pro" aspect you are referring to?

On that note, can the 20" dual-head dish be optimized for EX91 only? (must be a compromise somehow otherwise)

Many thanks.

no that wasn't bad. It just clears the channel lists & locks

you need to unhook the cable to clear everything in the switch setup :)

I tried the "switch setup" on the 5800 with no cable connected.

It reported all "X"'s (no switch present)

Shut down, re-connected the LNB, re-ran switch set-up, still zero signal!

FYI, for those just joining us, a 2700 runs perfectly connected to exactly the same wire, and the 5800 exhibited the same result on three different (working) instalations!

Any more ideas?

you could take it to Bell World and see if they can get it repaired if youre in canada.

evububba said:
Any more ideas?

Something I've just thought of, but have never tried, so I can;t say if it's a fair test, or if it will break your receiver.............. :eek:

The receiver is supposed to be putting out power for the LNB and/or the switch. What if you used a voltage meter and checked to see what is coming out? I know the voltages are 14/18V. I think it would be DC power, although I don't know for sure.

ken0042 said:
Something I've just thought of, but have never tried, so I can;t say if it's a fair test, or if it will break your receiver.............. :eek:

The receiver is supposed to be putting out power for the LNB and/or the switch. What if you used a voltage meter and checked to see what is coming out? I know the voltages are 14/18V. I think it would be DC power, although I don't know for sure.
You can use an analog signal meter. If it lights up and beeps when hooked up and adjusted then it is putting out power.

Also you could be on a nimiq 3 transponder.

I've seen 311's with a broken coax-to-PCboard connection, but if you are measuring voltage out, that's not it.

You say it's a 5800, but is that what it says on the menu, or what it says on the back panel sticker?
Reason I ask, is since it's used, maybe it's really an old 5100(after a drive replacement) , which might be subject to failure of the front end tuner chip?
(worth a shot, otherwise you're out of good ideas) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)