Stopping/removing a VOD event

merianb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
United States
We just got the Hopper and am experimenting with the features. We have Hughesnet but still wanted to try a VOD from a pay channel to see how fast it would eat the bandwidth. I was planning on stopping it and deleting after a few minutes after gauging the rate. I don't see a button to cancel after it starts. A general search on google isn't turning up what I'm looking for. For now I've switched our connection to one of our cell phones to stop the bleeding.

It is not widely publicized. I wouldn't be surprised if the CSRs didn't even know about it. It's fairly simple though. Some limited recordings do the same thing.

I believe you cannot stop a VOD download you can only delete it after its finished

That has been my experience on non-Hoppers.
You don't even need to watch the whole thing.

Are you saying that, on the Hopper, you have to start watching some of the program before the Delete button appears? On VIP DVRs, after the program is finished downloading, you can delete it whether or not you've watched it.

That has been my experience on non-Hoppers.

Are you saying that, on the Hopper, you have to start watching some of the program before the Delete button appears? On VIP DVRs, after the program is finished downloading, you can delete it whether or not you've watched it.
Correct. The hopper requires that

Correct. The hopper requires that
and I would think that is probably to prevent accidental deletion if not started to view yet. This would help prevent having to re-download the content again, wasting bandwidth (for both Dish and subscriber) if people have data caps. I'll say I like that feature, but understand how some folks would be thrown for a loop about it.

We have Hughesnet but still wanted to try a VOD from a pay channel to see how fast it would eat the bandwidth.

I know there is extra overhead in a data stream, but on average from what I've seen the final file for an average 30 minute HD show was right about 1GB of HD space. Would have to think Dish compresses the actual download and then uncompresses once fully downloaded. But that doesn't fit in too well with the fact you can still watch the part of the download that was received already, unless realtime uncompression of the data received so far.

Might be nice to know your data details, even if just for curiosity...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts