Store clerk cashes customer's winning lottery ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas Lottery commision has said they aren't going to pay the person the $1M that the ticket was worth. They are trying to recover the money that the clerk did get and put in some banks, last nights news said they had $300,000 recovered but think the clerk has left the country and can't find him or the rest of the money. He's retained a laywer and is taking the commision to court for the $1M.

While I feel sorry for the person IMHO no way should the state have to pay up except for the recovered $300,000, if he wants to sue someone sue the store that employeed the clerk, it's not the states fault that he got ripped off.

While I feel sorry for the person IMHO no way should the state have to pay up except for the recovered $300,000, if he wants to sue someone sue the store that employeed the clerk, it's not the states fault that he got ripped off.

I completely agree.

I wonder if the clerk was acting on the State's behalf, as it's agent, and if that would make the state/lottery commission liable?

I would think that him working on the state's behalf would cause the state to lose their case and have to pay the million. I saw that special on Dateline. Amazing how many people try to do cash people's lottery tickets like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.