Straight from the horse's mouth

CochiseGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Cochise County, Arizona
CTO (Chief Technical Officer) for Paramount gave an interview today with PC World. Very good. If your not familiar with him, Google 'Alan Bell' - with Warner since the development of DVD, moved to Paramount last year. Here's why he feels why Paramount is better off with HD DVD. (For Bill Hunt fans - yes, he leaves out the part about free swimming polls, new Lexus, etc.) :rolleyes:

Paramount's CTO on Why His Studio Is Dumping Blu-ray

I don't doubt that some level of financial incentive made the HD DVD a good business decision for Paramount and DreamWorks. But according to Alan Bell, executive vice president and chief technology officer for Paramount Pictures, there's more to the change in allegiance than either a mere abandonment of Blu-ray's higher-capacity advantage or pure business dealings.

Here's some background from Bell about the recent news.

PCW: Presumably, making this move wasn't something you did lightly. What led up to the decision to shift your production exclusively to HD DVD?

Bell: Paramount has been getting experience with publishing titles in both formats for the last year. We've had a hands-on ability to see how these formats work in practice. And after some hands-on analysis, we decided that HD DVD was the format we wanted to support.

Bell: For one thing, the lower prices of the players: It's good for consumers, it's good for our customer base.

For another thing, HD DVD came out of the DVD Forum. The DVD Forum is very experienced at developing and managing specs. [HD DVD] was launched in a very stable way, with stable specifications, and they had specified a reference player model, so all players had to be compatible with the HDi interactivity layer, and all players had to be capable of the interactivity. So when we publish titles in the future that have interactivity, we can be assured that every HD DVD player will be able to handle this content.

PCW: So, as a studio, you believe that the underlying stability of HD DVD's specs is a benefit?

Bell: When you look at what the DVD Forum has specified as required, it's a good set of advanced technologies. You can be assured that that benefit will be available to all consumers, no matter what [player] model they purchased. That speaks to the DVD Forum, that it published specs that were complete and market-ready, and that it didn't need to publish up [and change the specs], as Blu-ray has. To some degree, [such changes are] going to create some legacy issues.

For example, HD DVD players have [ethernet] connectivity built-in. If the player doesn't have that, or it's optional, you can't rely on that [as a feature].

PCW: What about the additional capacity of Blu-ray, which has 50GB dual-layer discs, as opposed to HD DVD's 30GB dual-layer discs? Some studios have cited the additional capacity as necessary. Are you going to miss having the extra headroom?

Bell: This is a little bit overrated. Making a choice like the one Paramount has made is a multifaceted choice: It depends upon manufacturability, the reliability of players, the cost, the infrastructure that's developed to support our creation of titles. Many different factors came into play--including capacity. When Paramount made this decision, we considered the broad spectrum.
[snip]
If everything else were equal, more capacity would be better. Why not?

But if you convert the playing time, a 30GB disc gives you somewhere between 3 and 4 hours of capacity. It depends upon the nature of the movie and how you compress it. There's no compromise on the quality. We've found that 95 percent of movies are less than 2.25 hours long. With a disc whose capacity is 3 or 4 hours, you can put a fair amount of bonus material on that disc as well. So 30GB with the option to add another disc is fine, from our point of view.

- I attempted to paste in the main points . The whole article is highly recommended. :)

So his two biggest points were?

1. Lower prices of the HD DVD players: It's good for consumers, it's good for our customer base. (For now)

2. HD DVD came out of the DVD Forum. (Who cares? Sony is part of the DVD Forum, as are many Blu-Ray folks)

DVD Forum Steering Committee Companies (BOLD are with Blu-Ray)

1. Hitachi, Ltd.
2. IBM Corporation
3. Industrial Technology Research Institute
4. Intel Corporation
5. LG Electronics Inc.
6. Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd.
7. Microsoft Corporation
8. Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
9. NEC Corporation
10. PIONEER CORPORATION
11. Royal Philips Electronics
12. SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
13. SANYO Electric Co., Ltd.
14. SHARP CORPORATION
15. Sony Corporation
16. THOMSON
17. Toshiba Corporation
18. Victor Company of Japan, Limited
19. Walt Disney
20. Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

I do not consider his two biggest points anything worth hanging my hat on; so I still choose to wait and upconvert 1080i with my $50 LG player till one of these two comes out on top for good. IMHO Its these kinds of weak statements both sides makes that makes them both look like fools sometimes.

And, I would also say that even with ethernet update ability, a great feature that I would want, there will likely still be legacy issues down the road. Some things are just hard wired / coded that just can't be changed via flash.

Here is another, and to me, a more valuable, realistic piece to the puzzle of their sudden change.

The HD DVD Promo Group paid Paramount $150M for exclusive support i! Very simply, it is possible that they are in enough trouble heading into the forth quarter of the year and NEED a "boost". Universal, previously the only exclusive HD DVD studio, had seriously bombed in the theater during the summer months, meaning they will have few, if any, blockbuster releases for the holiday season on home video. HD DVD needed a "splash", and an ultra special edition of 'Evan Almighty' just isn't going to cut it. Essentially, they spent $150M for the exclusive rights to 'Transformers' and 'Shrek the Third'; and of course, potentially, any other Paramount/Dreamworks blockbusters released in the next year. by Josh Dreuth

The interesting key is #19, Disney. All other BD associated companies abstain from any voting regarding HD-DVD, except Disney.

S~

Look at what happened with Betamax vs VHS. (anyone remember?) Combination of cheapest units and most units on the market, eh?
That seems to be HD-DVD.

Look at what happened with Betamax vs VHS.
There is actually one "black spot" in this analogy: VHS has "higher storage" (i.e. able to do longer recordings).
Reportedly, Sony refused to do the same with Beta (slow the tape down) due to picture quality implications...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts