Strange 61.5 Problem

Ddavis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Setup: Dish 1000 for 110, 119 and 129; Dish 500, DP Dual for 61.5; DPP44; VIP622; 721; and 2 510s.

A couple of months ago my LNB for 61.5 finally exceeded the LNB drift value to require a replacement. Ever since the replacement the System Display on both 510s have shown an error for 61.5. The VIP622 System Display shows it as good. When checking the signal on 61.5 for transponder 8, all receivers show a good signal strength. However, only the VIP622 shows any signal for transponder 2. Both 510s and the 721 show no signal at all for transponder 2.

Being in the DFW area and since distant networks went away, I really don't need 61.5 anymore, so I haven't had a very high priority on fixing it. My Dish contact has offered to have someone come out to look at it, but I haven't elected to do this yet. I have gone up on the roof to check the alignment and discovered and fixed the mount not being prefectly plumb, but this just raised the signal strength a few pionts. At the office at the moment and I don't remember the actual numbers.

Could this just be a bad, new LNB? I can't see this being the DPP44 or the receivers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug Davis

Don't know why your 510's aren't showing 61.5 as green if they are getting a strong signal on TP8. My 501 did that for awhile when TPs were being converted over to HD w/8PSK modulation, until a firmware update fixed it. I would guess Dish did it again and the TP being checked for the System display is now an 8PSK transponder.

Note that the 501/508/510s and 721s cannot demodulate 8PSK, and therefore show zero signal strength on those TPs.

Don't know why your 510's aren't showing 61.5 as green if they are getting a strong signal on TP8. My 501 did that for awhile when TPs were being converted over to HD w/8PSK modulation, until a firmware update fixed it. I would guess Dish did it again and the TP being checked for the System display is now an 8PSK transponder.

Note that the 501/508/510s and 721s cannot demodulate 8PSK, and therefore show zero signal strength on those TPs.

I have two 508s and they are showing RED for 61.5. My 622 shows everything as ok. Thanks very much for explaining the 8PSK "stuff".

--Grin&Barrett

Thanks. Thought it might be something like that, but the timing of noticing it after the LNB change confused the issue. There is a firmware update for the 501, 508 and 510 out there, I just haven't gotten it yet. We'll see if that fixes the display system info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)