Strange Hot Spots

Lue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
great plains
While researching around the net on antennas I ran across several articles describing Hot Spots for antenna reception, Some stated that just a few feet to the left or right would be the difference between a good signal and no signal, some described that dropping the antenna a couple of ft. would receive a channel that was not coming in 2 ft. higher. Some described that one side of their yard would receive all the channels were the other side would not even get a signal though both sides had a clear line of sight. Some angeled their antennas and got better reception. I have not had the time to move my antenna around and play with it yet. Wondering if any of you have any strange stories about Hot Spots? Thanks

I have heard of this. It's why OTA antenna placement can be more art than science.

100% accurate. At the house I grew up at one end of the house with my CB was like using linear amp, the other not so much. Where I live now, moving the antenna just a foot or so makes a difference in reception levels. Inside the house there are spots where the AM signal becomes stronger, not because of less or more interference, just a stronger signal.

Where we live it's all about hot spots.I always took a small 13" set and lots of cable when installing tv antennas.

same here when dealing with further distances for signal

one spot on my roof showed a 90 signal....5 feet east was in the 70's

There are many things that can block a signal, and moving the antenna can avoid the shadow. But, I think it is more of an exception rather than the rule.

My OTA signals are available only on ground effect. Raise the antenna 5 feet or move 10 feet in any direction and lose all but one channel. Bought 60' of Rohn tower and luckily decided to rent a bucket truck before installing. Absolutely no signals at any height above 30 feet anywhere on the property.

One channel goes from no signal to 60% just by rotating the polarity 30 degrees clockwise from horizontal. The channel is not important to me, so haven't added a second rotor for polarity adjustment.

So, yes. Often it is trial and error and not just antenna height and direction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts