SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
San Diego
TV – LG 32LD450 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV

Antenna – ChannelMaster 2018

Pre amp – Winegard AP8700

Audio - Onkyo HT-S3300 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver and Speaker Package

Bought this TV as it was reasonably priced for a full HD (1080i) set and the 32” size was the largest that would fit in my cabinet. When the TV was delivered I hooked it up in place of the old 27” CRT I had been watching for about 10 years. It worked well, finding all the local OTA channels and producing a great picture. The only problem was that the audio on some of the channels was not reliable. On channels 8 and 10 (both are on their original VHF channels as they were when they were analog) and on channel 69 (which is on UHF channel 19) I experienced audio dropouts lasting a second or so and on 69 in particular I would hear a squeal sometimes. I changed the coax from the splitter to the TV and that fixed channel 69 so I tried changing the splitter to a higher quality one and also tried running without the splitter and channels 8 and 10 still weren't right. The cable from the antenna to the preamp and from the preamp down to the house is all RG-6, about 35 feet in total.

I have a Sonicview 8000HD satellite receiver which also has an ATSC tuner built in and has an HDMI output. When I connected the SV to the TV via HDMI and tuned the SV to channel 8 or 10 the audio problems went away for the most part but there were still occasional dropouts. The SV has recording capability via USB to a hard drive so I tried recording to the hard drive and playing back to the TV via HDMI. I still had some dropouts but if I replayed the section of the recording where I had heard the dropouts they were gone. This all led me to believe that the TV tuner was the problem so I sent it back to Amazon and asked to have it replaced with the same model. A few days later the new TV arrived and I hooked it up and lo and behold it did the same thing.

By this time I was tired of chasing the problem and since I had a work around I quit looking. Then I remembered that I had a Samsung SIR-T451 HD receiver left over from the early days of digital TV so I dug that out of the closet and hooked it up. I had retired it as the tuner only recognizes the strongest OTA channels but in this case those are channels 8 and 10 so I thought it might be useful. It has an SPDIF optical output which I hooked up to my surround sound system and it has component video outputs which I hooked up to the TV. Now I can watch channels 8 and 10 using either the TV tuner or the Samsung for the video and the Samsung for the audio and it's glitch free, at least so far.

Any guesses as to what might be going on here are welcome.

If 2 standalone tuners don't exhibit the problem I would look at the LG having a problem. Even if it was replaced I would suspect the problem is in the ATSC tuner in the LG, can you get a swap for a different brand or model?

I'm not so sure there is an actual manufacturing defect. This sort of thing used to happen a lot in the early days of ATSC. I see a possibility that channel 8/10 are not being broadcast to spec and the LG is not tolerant of the fault.

You could try talking to the engineer at the stations. Are they both under the same ownership with the same transmitter site? I have found over the years that the engineers are quite willing to talk about these signal issues. If that doesn't get results, then I agree that swapping out for a different model is your best solution.

Since this is San Diego I assume these are Mexican transmitters. Might not be so accessible.

8 & 10 are both San Diego based stations...wiki says the towers are on Mount Soledad in La Jolla

6 & 49 are the Mexican based stations that are for San Diego (as in the studio is in SD but the transmitter is in Tijuana)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)