Strange IR problem...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BlueEos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Sammamish Wa
In the basement in 2 different rooms I have 2 HD TV monitors. The DTV feed is plumbed to a HD DTV unit. That receiver feeds the 2 TVs above via the component and HDMI outputs of the receiver. The TV that is in the other room uses the HDMI input. I have an IR blaster from Radio Shack that allows me to change the channels on the DTV receiver in the other room. For the most part, everything has been working good.

Then, this morning my wife told me she could no longer get any response out of the remote to change channels. The first thing I did was change the batteries in her remote which didn't change anything. I then got the remote from the other room to see if that would work in her room and it didn't. I went back to my office and was able to change channels fine from there with the aid of the IR blaster.

Back to the room in question. Due to the inop remotes, I went to setup using the buttons on the DTV receiver and then into the setup for the Remote. After clicking through the remote setup, the remote started working again, but it seems very slow to respond.

I'm wonder if the IR input on the DTV receiver is weak since it seems to work fine when I uses the IR Blaster. I'm also wondering if the IR Blaster could have done some damage to the IR input to the point where it doesn't read the signals from the remotes anymore? I think I'm grasping at straws, but I can't think of any other answer.

Try unplugging the IR blaster, then test the remotes. IR extenders can pick up RF interference which they put out as IR junk signals that bombard IR sensors blocking the IR from the remotes in the room.

I did unplug the IR blaster and then plugged it back in. I forgot to test the remotes while the IR blaster was unplugged. Anyway, it worked great so I assume that fixed the problem and if it ever happens again, I'll do the same fix.

Thanks...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts