Strange PTAT Issue Only On ABC

loubon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2010
New Jersey
Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find it anywhere. This only happens on ABC and randomly happens about half the time.

If I save a PTAT program and watch it after the 8 day window I sometimes get the show cut off or missed altogether. I'm not talking about the problem that happens when there is a live event earlier in the day that pushes the schedule back. In this case it is the reverse. An 8:00 pm show might start with the last 5 minutes of the show (and then have the following show saved).

Has anyone encountered this?

Yes. It is very strange. Say for instance it is an 8 pm show. It is fine during the 8 day window but if it gets saved and watched at a later date it might start with anywhere from 30 mins to 5 mins left in the show. Only on ABC that I can recall.

I did not mostly because it doesn't happen every time and it was happening on shows I just got to from months ago as well as recently out of the 8 day window. Pretty sure I would have done one somewhere between that but it is certainly easy enough to give that a try.

I've had exactly the same problem.

Only on ABC, once a couple days after recording a show (within the 8-day window) and once about 11 days after recording it. It doesn't happen all the time. I try to watch it and the DVR starts the show with only about 3 minutes left. I basically see the credits of the show I wanted, plus about 27 minutes of the next show. I had also saved the preceding show and it was fine, the recording started and stopped correctly. I tried watching with Autohop on, but it didn't seem to work right. It just started with commercials for a few minutes showed the 30 second epilogue and credits, but it did stop when the credits ended.

I have done a hard reboot by unplugging. I haven't seen the problem in a couple weeks. The programs that have this problem continue to have the same problem.

Ray

Last edited:
Reactions: loubon
Did you try watching from the PTAT folder instead of My Recordings?

No - just from My Recordings. I don't know if I still have any still in PTAT, but I can check when I get home and try it.

It isn't a frequent occurrence, but when it happens, it is annoying, Although now that ABC is available On Demand, I can live with it. And so far it is just ABC, so I don't really suspect hardware problems ........yet.

Thanks Ray, glad I'm not crazy. Well I might be but that is a story for a different board! :eeek

They wouldn't be in the PTAT folder because it only happens after they have been saved beyond the 8 day window. My understanding of PTAT is in the 8 day window the shows have markers so this is how you can continue to FF to the next show and I believe back up to the previous show. Once the 8 day window passes an actual copy is made of the show similar to when you record any other show. (Hopefully I didn't offend any techies with my layman's explanation of what I believe happens). So it is almost like the markers are incorrect for these shows when the copy is made. But it is only ABC and it is random. For example I might have had 7 episodes of Castle or 5 episodes of Agents of Shield and only it happens on 2 Castle episodes and 1 Agents of Shield (and on different weeks).

Agree that ABC On Demand has helped but it is still very odd.

I checked and I didn't have any episodes in My Recordings that exhibited this problem and were still in the PTAT folder. Although I am pretty sure I had a similar problem with a 20/20 episode while I was within the 8 day window. It wasn't that big a deal to me at the time and I didn't think to check the PTAT folder. I just sort of chalked it up to a "glitch". But when I saw the same thing with a couple Modern Family episodes (After the 8 days) and saw your post, it raised a flag for me. I'll pay closer attention and maybe even keep a few ABC series, just to test. If I see it again I'll post.

I wonder if this is the issue I keep having with my recordings of The Goldbergs on ABC.

Several times the recordings have missed some or almost all of the episode for no apparent reason.

I have this exact problem on my Hopper (non-sling), and it is only on ABC/Chicago channel 7. Goldbergs and Modern Family at a minimum for several months. Doesn't happen on other channels and not every week.

Normally we watch more than a week after airing, since we get behind and like the auto commercial skip. Yesterday I tried watching this week's Modern Family from my DVR and it was only 2 minutes long. The entire show was recorded on PTAT and now today the DVR version is the correct 31 minutes long.

Glad I stumbled on this thread to know it probably isn't a hardware problem with my Hopper.

Hope DISH fixes this soon.

I'm not even sure Dish knows. No one from Dirt has responded to any of these threads on this and I don't know if Vivek still comes around.

FWIW, I'm having the exact same problem, only with my local Fox affiliate (Fox 2 in Detroit). We watch "New Girl" and "Brooklyn 99", which are on Tuesday nights, and as long as we watch them within the "saved" window, they are fine. If we wait too long, we get part of the show or the wrong show altogether. I also noticed it when we tried to watch last week's "The Simpsons". I have an original Hopper with an external OTA adapter.

It is getting to the point of being unwatchable outside of the PTAT window. Happens on almost every show now on ABC. And when you can get them On Demand you can't fast forward (not just the commercials but at all). This is a pain if you want to go back and rewatch a part of a show after it has completed. And this is not a glitch, it is by design, probably to prevent you from skipping the commercials (sound familiar?) Worst part is they show the same commercials over and over! And not all episodes are On Demand!

This is my biggest disappointment with Dish. Anyone have any suggestions of how to escalate this where it might actually get some attention?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)