Strategy Guides

Strategy Guides Cheating?

• Yes, its cheating you should be able to beat the game without a guide

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No its not cheating beating a game is beating a game wheter you have help or not

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
My wife keeps getting on me when I play ninja gaiden sigma because sometime I will use the ign walktrough, she says your cheating. I however feel that its not cheating to get a little help. What do you guys think?

and silly me hit the wrong button and voted yes when I wanted to hit no lol

I've used them in the past and probably will in the future, but I try not to use them.

I don't think it's cheating to get a little help with a difficult part of a game. In fact, I would be hard pressed to say that it's even possible to "cheat" in a single player game. If you don't have a problem using a guide, then you're not cheating yourself and in single-player games, there's no one else to cheat against, so you're not hurting another player.

Just my $0.02. Not worth much, but there you have it.

I voted no, because you still have to actually play the game...

That being said, I usually don't use them unless it's a game I really care about and want to get all of the extras - usually I can get to the end of the game without it. But if I can't, I'll get the guide and figure it out from that, and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it. I want to have fun playing a game, not get so stressed out I can't enjoy it while I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I think there are some times you almost have to have it. Reminds me of that great line in Toy Story 2: "They make it so you can't beat the game unless you buy this book - it's extortion!" :)

I only go to a walkthru after many attempts and sheer frustration, when its either, I get past the point i seem to be stuck or i quit playing.

therefore, its not cheating, its maximizing the entertainment value of my purchase/rental :)

It's one thing "beating" the game, and it's entirely another to collect all skill points/ rewards/ unlockables, etc. In the latter instance, it's almost essential to have some kind of guide because there is no way you could possibly figure it out on your own unless you spend 100s of hours trying everything. But even when it comes to "beating" the game, if you're stuck, you're stuck. You're only cheating yourself the pleasure of enjoying the rest of the game if you simply put it back in its case forever more when you hit that stuck point. Fortunately, there are enough hardcore gamers out there that graciously post all the walkthrough info free online so you don't have to buy a glossy book on the game unless it's something you'd really enjoy having.

Well first off.. I'm not sure how much a walkthrough helps with a game like Ninja Gaiden, because those games are like playing through the 3rd ring of hell in terms of difficulty.

It depends on the type of game. For games with a lot of grunt work like Ninja Gaiden or Gears of War, they can give you strategies, but it is up to you to execute them and actually perform the act. You can read about tons of different strategies in guides about how to kill RAAM on Insane difficulty, but when it comes down to fighting, all they are are strategies that you may not even be able to execute.

On the other hand, for old school "adventure" games like Kings Quest or The Longest Journey, since those are basically step by step things, using a guide could be considered cheating since the main point and difficulty is forcing you to try and figure out the various puzzles.

One final thing I would suggest is that you don't need to bother with IGN guides. If you want good information for free go to gamefaqs.com.

I voted no, because you still have to actually play the game...

That being said, I usually don't use them unless it's a game I really care about and want to get all of the extras - usually I can get to the end of the game without it. But if I can't, I'll get the guide and figure it out from that, and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it. I want to have fun playing a game, not get so stressed out I can't enjoy it while I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I think there are some times you almost have to have it. Reminds me of that great line in Toy Story 2: "They make it so you can't beat the game unless you buy this book - it's extortion!" :)

Didn't you use SG for Uncharted?:D

SG is sort of cheating, I mean whats the point of playing the game when you know everything from level 1 - 40?

Didn't you use SG for Uncharted?:D

Not to beat the game. I had already done that twice (once on normal and once on hard). I just used the SG to get all of the treasures and rewards.

I also kind of like having it, as it has a bunch of history on Drake (Sir Francis) and other explorers, as well as the treasure of El Dorado. Very interesting stuff, and made the experience of the game that much deeper for me...

I like them for really complex games like Oblivion to help me when I get stuck on a mission. Didn't get one for Mass Effect and I haven't missed it....

For shooters, I tend not to get them. Sometimes I'll look for a walkthrough online to find something for an obscure achievement....

I like them for really complex games like Oblivion to help me when I get stuck on a mission. Didn't get one for Mass Effect and I haven't missed it....

For shooters, I tend not to get them. Sometimes I'll look for a walkthrough online to find something for an obscure achievement....
As I said earlier, for shooters they are not that important.

I really should jump back into Mass Effect. I didn't use those guides for KOTOR either. Also I find when I read them I get depressed because I find out I didn't level up or "train" my guys the way I should have.

First of all! Like lying there is different levels of cheating, there is on one spectrum cheating on our spouses (or girl/boyfriends) and taxes and on the other is cheating on our dogs/cats by petting another dog/cat. Using cheat codes/cheat guides/Walkthru's etc. is cheating because it aids you in doing something, however, closer to (like right next to) cheating on our pets... LOL

That said, sometimes a good walkthru is needed to help get through some tricky spots. If I'm in a hurry (got to take back to rental place) I'll use em to get me through the entire game quickly, however, usually I reserve walkthrough/guides as a last resort to figure out a puzzle that I have spent hours on and just can't get!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)