Streaming Channel Comparasions

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
As I was trying to decide what streaming provider was best for my channel viewing - I threw together a little Excel sheet to show them side by side. Cnet has one but theirs was six months out of date, so I made my own.

I'm not sure if I'll bother updating it, but if someone is looking in the next few months it may help someone - so here it is.

You'll need to check for the locals for your own area. It also may not have every channel out there, but I think I have pretty much all the major cable channels.

Attachments

• streaming.pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 298
  • streaming.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 180
At my office, we have used Sling TV for quite some time. But when I heard that YouTube TV had locals, I did some research and made the switch. If you sign up between now and March 13, the cost is $35 and you will be grandfathered in at that price. So we switched. It required us purchasing a Chromecast for the office, but that's a one time cost.

Reactions: andy_horton
At my office, we have used Sling TV for quite some time. But when I heard that YouTube TV had locals, I did some research and made the switch. If you sign up between now and March 13, the cost is $35 and you will be grandfathered in at that price. So we switched. It required us purchasing a Chromecast for the office, but that's a one time cost.
Comfortably_numb, I had purchased a Chromecast with the ethernet connection. Only reason I returned it was I was testing diff devices for DirectvNow buffering issues..lol (no diff) I really liked it. 1 drawback was if using Wi-Fi, it was almost impossible to tell if you had connected unless you were to cast over Wi-Fi, but ethernet it really didn't matter. However I am used to Roku, but laptop does well for my streaming. But Chromecast is really cool if you were to add the "Home" device..I looked in an electronics store & you can buy optional automation devices while not made by Google, is compatible with Chromecast. Really neat

I've decided to switch monthly between Vue and Hulu live . One has A&E one has Discovery, so I don't miss anything. Also both have alexa support. Vue starts at $40 not $45 has Nat geo Fxm, Velocity, Boomerang and Bbc news in elite. Direc tv now is rumored to be 20 hrs free and 100 at an extra cost.

Last edited:
Comfortably_numb, I had purchased a Chromecast with the ethernet connection. Only reason I returned it was I was testing diff devices for DirectvNow buffering issues..lol (no diff) I really liked it. 1 drawback was if using Wi-Fi, it was almost impossible to tell if you had connected unless you were to cast over Wi-Fi, but ethernet it really didn't matter. However I am used to Roku, but laptop does well for my streaming. But Chromecast is really cool if you were to add the "Home" device..I looked in an electronics store & you can buy optional automation devices while not made by Google, is compatible with Chromecast. Really neat

We actually returned the Chromecast last week at got a Roku Stick instead; it has the “real” Youtube TV app and doesn’t require “casting” from a mobile phone, which is much better for an office environment

I've hit the brakes on cutting the cord. Installed two attic antennas for the big 6 or so OTA'a, have 400mbs fiber, ordered a Stream+ which is sitting in a warehouse somewhere, bought 256gb MicroSD U3 Class 10, and setup a Plex server. Even bought a MicroSD to SD adapter thinking of buying a 512gb SD card. I feed a 65" 4k LG OLED and Onkyo AVR 5.2.2 (Atmos) setup. What stopped me cold was the fact that, near as can tell, none of the bundled streaming packages do 5.1 surround sound let alone 4k. As for subscription services Netflix, Amazon, and HBO do some 4k and a lot of 5.1. My DirecTV Showtime does 5.1 but not the apps on my FireTV3.

DirecTV gave me 3 months HBO and Showtime for $18 and I've cancelled my online subscriptions as I can still get them through Go and Anytime, albeit in Stereo, through my DirecTV aoociation.

So I'm seriously thinking of retreating and cancelling the Stream+, that looks more like vaporware everyday, and sending back the MicroSD and hunkering down for awhile.

I just don't think cord-cutting is quite ready for Prime Time. Too many gotcha's and probably a little onerous and confusing for most. Me for sure.

Thanks for putting this together. I was looking for something that wasn't too out of date to compare. I went with PlayStation tonight. It has Discovery. MLB and all ESPN channels were cheaper. I just need to figure out how to do the dvr functions. Almost did directvnow. Reminds me of the 90 s when dish had gsn, ktla and fs west 2 that directv didn't.
Anyway, thanks for your efforts. I didn't know that about the locals on YouTube but I have cbs all access which will work.

Enjoy - glad the little chart was able to help.

I've been really happy with Youtube TV, it has all the channels I watch (sports, news, a few of the major cable channels). My wife and kids mostly use Hulu or Netflix, which are cheap enough I don't mind carrying those on top of the live service. I feel like we could retire Hulu if I got them more active on the Youtube service given it records and keeps 9 months, but when Hulu gets as cheap as $6 (when trying to cancel) it is a pretty easy keep.

On a separate though, the 60 FPS channels sure do look much better for sports. I watched some hockey and baseball this weekend on Fox Sports, ESPN U, and BTN, and it looked very crisp, better than what I was getting with Comcast (due to severe compression). They have some channels that are still just 30 FPS, such as TNT/TBS and MLB Network, and it shows. Even the text on the scrolling bar at the bottom skips around a bit (choppy) versus the 60 FPS is crisp and smooth.

They've been working on upgrading channels to 60 FPS, hopefully they'll continue adding it to more. PS Vue and Hulu also have been aggressive in improving channels to 60 FPS.

I saw this article the other day that had a pretty good comparison chart of 60 FPS channels:
What Streaming Services Offer 60FPS? We Answer Your Questions - Cord Cutters News

I've been really happy with Youtube TV, it has all the channels I watch (sports, news, a few of the major cable channels). My wife and kids mostly use Hulu or Netflix, which are cheap enough I don't mind carrying those on top of the live service. I feel like we could retire Hulu if I got them more active on the Youtube service given it records and keeps 9 months, but when Hulu gets as cheap as $6 (when trying to cancel) it is a pretty easy keep.

I’m very pleased with YTTV so far as well. I believe it has the most sports channels of all the streamers. I believe it’s also the first among them to have MLBN also (correct me if I’m wrong)

I’m very pleased with YTTV so far as well. I believe it has the most sports channels of all the streamers. I believe it’s the first among them to have MLBN also (correct me if I’m wrong)
It is the first, with the exception of DirecTV Now having it in their $50+ packages.

if/when youtube tv gets discovery then I will switch. Are the local channels on dvr as well?

I had hulu and Netflix when we had sat, so I don't consider it an added cost, but like you, if I could get them both to set shows up to record in yttv, I'd likely cancel the Hulu part.

Last time I checked, to get all the features and channels I want cost more through streaming services than I pay Dish. I want dvr, and I won't watch commercials so need the ability to skip them or not have them. Some of the streaming services had dvr but you could skip commercials and the ones that let you skip commercials didn't have dvr.

I’m very pleased with YTTV so far as well. I believe it has the most sports channels of all the streamers. I believe it’s also the first among them to have MLBN also (correct me if I’m wrong)

It is the first, with the exception of DirecTV Now having it in their $50+ packages.

PS Vue added the MLB Network in March of 2017, unless you are talking about the forthcoming addition of MLB.tv as an add-on service via YTTV.

Reactions: MikeI and jcrandall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)