Streaming from Sling.com...is it possible?

rockandchelle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Ok, so I heard something while listening to the little video on slingmedias website about SlingGuide. The lady was talking about setting up timers and watching recordings, and then mentioned even watching media from Sling.com. Well, sling.com appears to be similiar in nature to Hulu. My question is, will our receivers one day have the capabilities to stream video directly from Sling.com??

Yes the 922 can do it already. And others via slingbox attched, I tried it at a friend home worked fine, but at work the ports were blocked :(

Change the port on the slingbox to a port that you know your work has open. :) Problem solved. :D :D

I have the same problem at work, so I had forward a second port on my home network (that is allowed through our work firewall) for my Slingbox. This is fine for my normal Sling Player, but I haven't seen anything on their limited online player (whether on dish.sling.com or beta.sling.com) to specify a different host/port to connect to.

EDIT: I suppose what you're saying is change the MAIN port on the SlingBox itself, to an 'allowed' port, rather than my setup of 2 EXTERNAL ports on my network (that are being forwarded/NAT'd) going to the one REAL port of the SlingBox. I should try that out tonight when I get home.

depends on the firewall your work uses. some are smart enough to look at the traffic going over port 80 and tell if it's legit web traffic or not.

i think the answer to the question is: right now, if you've got a slingbox you can stream from slingguide. personally, i'm going to wait to get a 922 with a slingbox built in.

depends on the firewall your work uses. some are smart enough to look at the traffic going over port 80 and tell if it's legit web traffic or not.

i think the answer to the question is: right now, if you've got a slingbox you can stream from slingguide. personally, i'm going to wait to get a 922 with a slingbox built in.

I can't even stream on sling.com. When I try and stream from there it tells me to put in a password and does nothing except keeping asking me enter my password. And yes I am putting in the right password.

That means your company has a strong firewall system in place that checks data packets like mine, some of the popular sites are blocked but if a VP has to edit his fantasy team you can expect that site to be unblocked.

Use port 80, it is open if they allow http traffic.

Only problem with this (regardless of the port) is that you have to let the same port through your firewall* at home (if your Slingbox is on your inside network). Personally, I'm using port 443 (normally used for https), as we let that one through unmolested at work too.

*If you can run sshd on a machine outside your firewall you can have it forward to a different port number through your firewall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts