Streaming remain most popular destination for TV

I did not create this trend of Cable/Satellite dying a slow death, they did that to themselves.

I don't think it's the providers so much as the media conglomerates forcing channels like ESPN to be in base packages and forcing providers to take other worthless channels no one wants. Retrans fees are another issue, retrans fees never should have been allowed and a handful of companies should not have been allowed to buy up all the networks.

I don't think it's the providers so much as the media conglomerates forcing channels like ESPN to be in base packages and forcing providers to take other worthless channels no one wants. Retrans fees are another issue, retrans fees never should have been allowed and a handful of companies should not have been allowed to buy up all the networks.
While I agree with you, I am thinking more about they basically fee you to the extremes.

For example, Comcast Broadcast Fee is now $26.85, RSN Fee-$14.45 , X1 Box with DVR $17.45 extra box-$8.50

So almost $60 in fees added on to their low adverted price.

That is the kind of stuff that ****** customers off and makes them look for alternatives, in today’s world, those are easy to find.

While I agree with you, I am thinking more about they basically fee you to the extremes.

For example, Comcast Broadcast Fee is now $26.85, RSN Fee-$14.45 , X1 Box with DVR $17.45 extra box-$8.50

So almost $60 in fees added on to their low adverted price.

That is the kind of stuff that ****** customers off and makes them look for alternatives, in today’s world, those are easy to find.

The broadcast fee (retrans) are out of control, as subscribers drop the local stations are trying to make up for the loss of revenue with increased fees, same with the RSNs. Satellite and cable also have significantly higher distribution costs over YTTV, they didn't need to launch satellites into space or string thousands of miles of coax around a neighborhood, maintain it and send a technician to each subscribers house to provide equipment and install it.

You can avoid a lot of these fees, I have a Wally with Flex Pack, OTA antenna and EHD. No retrans fees, no sports surcharge and no hardware or DVR fees.

Reactions: TheKrell
The broadcast fee (retrans) are out of control, as subscribers drop the local stations are trying to make up for the loss of revenue with increased fees, same with the RSNs. Satellite and cable also have significantly higher distribution costs over YTTV, they didn't need to launch satellites into space or string thousands of miles of coax around a neighborhood, maintain it and send a technician to each subscribers house to provide equipment and install it.

You can avoid a lot of these fees, I have a Wally with Flex Pack, OTA antenna and EHD. No retrans fees, no sports surcharge and no hardware or DVR fees.
I have YTTV, straight $65 , no fees, no tricks, just honest business except for Google selling your info to everyone.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I have YTTV, straight $65 , no fees, no tricks, just honest business except for Google selling your info to everyone.
I do as well.

For about four months a year. That to me is the biggest draw of linear streaming vs sat or cable.

Reactions: osu1991
I guess you've never looked into Alphabet's (Google) business model. If you had, you'd know that selling yours or my info would be self defeating. Alphabet/Google is in the business of selling "eyeballs", not info. An advertiser wants his product ads to reach certain segments of the population for instance, and by combining similar user profiles that meet certain criteria, Google can tailor the feeds for that ad to reach those and similar profiles, as well as the general population if desired. If they sold your info, they would no longer have that capability available to use with far more advertisers than just the few that bought the info. If you see the Google fed ads on this forum, you might even notice that a number of them tend to be geared toward your own interests.

I remember looking at Cox list of fees, when we had them. IIRC, THREE PAGES of fees, and not in large or even normal type.

When they said all future repairs to your OUTSIDE cable would be chargeable to you, SWMBO laid down the law. We went to a home show, a table just inside the door advertised Dish at $9.99/month. Mostly Spanish language, but we went with them. SOLD. Of course, we had two 301s, so it was a bit more.

Today, it’s a BIT more.

Never so happy as to tell Cox to….

Reactions: TheKrell and Bobby