Streaming

Frank207

Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
maine
I have a limited amount of Broadband, 25GB per mo. that I pay $99 a month for and most of that is we use for normal internet surfing. There are programs we see that are only available via streaming services but would like to watch. My questions are: 1) will Dish get any of these programs in the future so I can watch them without streaming? and 2) is there any other way to watch these streaming programs?
thanks
frank

There are programs we see that are only available via streaming services but would like to watch. My questions are: 1) will Dish get any of these programs in the future so I can watch them without streaming? and 2) is there any other way to watch these streaming programs?
If they really are only available for streaming, then you are stuck streaming. If not, and you are asking if you can view them via Dish as well as streaming, then we need to know which programs they are before we can say. Dish has hundreds of channels, so depending, this may be the way to go. I strongly recommend a DVR to skip over the infernal commercials.

If they really are only available for streaming, then you are stuck streaming. If not, and you are asking if you can view them via Dish as well as streaming, then we need to know which programs they are before we can say. Dish has hundreds of channels, so depending, this may be the way to go. I strongly recommend a DVR to skip over the infernal commercials.
The programs I'm talking about are not available on any of the Dish channels.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I have a limited amount of Broadband, 25GB per mo. that I pay $99 a month for and most of that is we use for normal internet surfing. There are programs we see that are only available via streaming services but would like to watch. My questions are: 1) will Dish get any of these programs in the future so I can watch them without streaming? and 2) is there any other way to watch these streaming programs?
thanks
frank
Thanks for your help

Reactions: pattykay
A lot of these shows still end up on DVD/BD. As long as Netflix continues to offer their DVD-by-mail service, you could theoretically take advantage of that.
They also offer Blu-ray by mail. There's also two companies that also rent discs, 3D Blu-ray Rental, Inc. (which does Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, and 4K UHD Blu-ray, but not DVD, and they also offer games; and also Gamefly does not just games but movies (DVD, Blu-ray, 4K UHD Blu-ray). Another option would be Redbox at the kiosks (DVD, Blu-ray, 4K UHD Blu-ray) but they only offer new titles at the kiosks. Keep in mind Redbox also offers a streaming service as well. For myself, I subscribe to Netflix streaming (with 4K streaming) and their 2 discs at a time including DVD and Blu-ray; I also have two discs at a time through 3D Blu-ray Rental. I also have both a Redbox account and get DVDs at the public library as backups if I can't find something through their catologues.

You can always wait for the DVD release, and find some place selling the DVD's. I had to do that for seasons 1 and 2 of DC's Titans. I bought the complete seasons at Walmart.
Besides serious collectors, why are people still buying DVDs? We should not only on the standard of Blu-ray, but even 4K Blu-ray at this point. I prefer physical media, but at doing so I try to get the highest format.

Besides serious collectors, why are people still buying DVDs? We should not only on the standard of Blu-ray, but even 4K Blu-ray at this point. I prefer physical media, but at doing so I try to get the highest format.
I know many people that buy them well after the initial release, when they go on sale for something like 80-90% off at places like TJ Maxx. They then watch them on their 32" TVs. These are not people who like to spend money on entertainment and don't care that they haven't see the latest episode of whatever or the new release movie. What is interesting is how many of them are Disney Vacation Club members, so you know where their money is going.

In my case, I bought them because they are cheaper. I still have a DVD player that works, and I never even bothered to buy a Blu-ray player. I watch most of my shows via streaming these days anyway. Just like the example in the post above, I also watch on a 32" TV. For the specific DVD's I mentioned before, I also waited until quite awhile after the initial release. No Disney Vacation Club for me, though. I don't even subscribe to Disney+. I have nothing against Disney. It is just that my sister keeps mentioning that she might want to sign up for Disney+, so I figure I'll simply share her membership whenever she is willing to pay for it. She also has a Blu-ray player, so I can watch Blu-rays whenever I visit her.

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)