Stripping RG6 Quad

kdarcangelis870

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
When stripping RG6 Quad, do strip through the first layer of foil and braid and then bend back the second layer of braid?

1. Strip off the outer jacket of the cable and a portion of the center conductor.

2. Carefully fold back the outer shielding wires against the outer jacket of the cable evenly, exposing the inner shielding wires.

3. Carefully cut away the outer foil shielding layer, and remove it to exposed the inner shielding wires.

4. Carefully and evenly fold back the inner shielding wires evenly against the outer jacket.

You have to have a QUAD shield prep tool and Quad shield fittings or you are wasting your time. Well I think quad shield is a waste anyway. Its just something to brag about. Ive never seen any improvement using it.

VIPERS-PIT said:
You have to have a QUAD shield prep tool and Quad shield fittings or you are wasting your time. Well I think quad shield is a waste anyway. Its just something to brag about. Ive never seen any improvement using it.
Richmond VA, channels 6, 8, 12 kept down "ghosting"....would have been easier just to move those channels!

VIPERS-PIT said:

I didn't install the quad shield. It was installed when my house was built. I needed to know because I am adding a fourth room to my directv system.

kdarcangelis870 said:
I didn't install the quad shield. It was installed when my house was built. I needed to know because I am adding a fourth room to my directv system.

Thats cool but it would be easier to just run RG-6 for the new run. It will work fine with the quad shield and save you money. If the cable is pre ran and does not have fittings on it, drive by the local cable company at 7 am someday and offer a tech 10 bucks to put fittings on the cable for you. It will be much cheaper than buy the fittings and compression tool.

VIPERS-PIT said:

I don't understand why you would make a statement, that is not based on some factual "Reasoning"!!! Could you explain please, what make & model Spectrum Analyzer or Bench Scope you used to determine this!!!

In my experience the QS provides some PQ advantage in applications where interference might be present. miguelaqui mentioned one that I have seen - additional signal pick-up in the downlead itself from an OTA antenna will produce ghosting for an analog signal and/or could result in pixelation in a digital signal. Nearby electrical interference from tools, gas-discharge lighting, etc. can produce the "noise" in an analog signal, and may also produce undesired effects in a digital signal. For a run between an LNBF and the switch or receiver that is not diplexed with an OTA signal, I think regular RG-6 rated for the frequency should be adequate. For any OTA downlead I would still recommend QS. The extra shielding might be overkill in many applications, but I can't see where it will hurt as long as you're prepared for the added cost and complexity of installing the connectors. YMMV...

Last edited:
I've used quad-shielded for years at my house and just use regular RG-6 connectors and a regular crimp tool. I cut away both layers of wire and the foil. I've got a lot of coax that runs parallel to electrical wiring and it definitely helps with interference.

VIPERS-PIT said:
Thats cool but it would be easier to just run RG-6 for the new run. It will work fine with the quad shield and save you money. If the cable is pre ran and does not have fittings on it, drive by the local cable company at 7 am someday and offer a tech 10 bucks to put fittings on the cable for you. It will be much cheaper than buy the fittings and compression tool.

I already have fittings (PPC EX6, got them on ebay for $.99 and a compression tool. I was just making sure what layer(s) of braid and foil I needed to peel back or remove.

What is the big deal?

In my first reply, I gave FULL instructions on how to strip and apply connectors to quad shielded cable. Having done over 5.000 of them over the past 10 years, the method that I outlined works perfectly. No, you DO NOT want to cut away ANY of the braid wires. You need to fold them back. This is to prevent internal pull out. Only the top foil layer needs to be peeled away. The bottom layer needs to remain intact.

As for quad shield, this type of cable's use is waning in popularity. It requires twice as much time for a qualified technician to install, and poor preparation results in a poor install.

The CATV indistry has switched to 88% trishield. It has the same shielding characteristics as quad shielded, without the need for extra time and care for installation.

Also, I doubt that your multipathing problem is caused by an inferior shielded cable. It is probably in the antenna's design. You MAY need a narrow beam high front/back ratio antenna like the Winegard HD7210P "Ghostkiller" for better results. I installed one of these in Hopewell, VA outside of Richmond with great results.

The attached photo is MINE on the roof in Taylors, SC. I get fantastic OTA results.

Also, be aware that the PPC Ex6 connectors are shorter when compressed than standard ones like Snap-N-Seals. Be sure that you have an ADJUSTABLE compression tool.

Attachments

• ANTENNA.JPG
    ANTENNA.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 181
I use the PPC EX XL fittings on quad all the time and find no need to peel away the foil, just fold the first layer back over the cable jacket. Obviously the inner foil stays attached to the dielectric.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)