Strongest OTA Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
I know this is probably a pretty open question with a broad answer. However I have a Winegard OTA antenna that is powered when diplexed off of my Satellite Receiver. In a certain position I can get all the local channels around me (the hardest to get is 4-1) However when it is in this position the signal strenth of 59-1 and 13-1 sometimes falls to where I get dropouts on audio and picture occasionally.

This leads me to believe If I had just a little bit stronger antenna I would not have this problem. I am almost there and just need to barely get over the hump if you will.

What is the best OTA antenna I could get that could help me get a stronger signal and where are some good places to pick it up at?

heres what I am lookin at on antennaweb

antenna.jpg

On antennaweb, make sure you select "digital channels only". That way you are concentrating on the channels that you really want.
Without knowing exactly where all your digitals are, its hard to recommend an antenna. If they are generally within 15 degrees of each other, then you can get a directional antenna which will have greater gain. If they are spread out, you will need an omni-directional or a directional with a rotor. If your digital stations are all UHF or high VHF, the best directional antenna is generally thought to be the ChannelMaster 4228, which is an 8-bay antenna, lots of gain, highly directional, with a fairly small profile. Its not a powered antenna, but you can add a preamp like the CM 7777 if needed.
If you need omni-directional, the CM 4221 is pretty good.
For more info than you probably want, go over to the hdtvprimer website.

You may also want to consider a direct cable connection, and remove the diplexors - I had a station that was hard to get - and removing the diplexors helped that out!

ummm by removing the diplexors it stops the antenna from getting power and no stations come in... I know this because I 1st thought the antenna was incompatible with DirectV when I went from VooM to DTV

Unless there is something I didn't know about of course.

Here is what I am lookin at on antennaweb for all digital (sorry forgot to turn off analog on the last picture)

They are calling 4-1 48-1 for some reason also.

antenna2.jpg

antenna.jpg

All yellow? 10 miles or less? Minus the VHF CBS, I say go for a silver sensor

I concur.

Given a mostly-flat (that is to say, not mountainous) area, almost any decent indoor antenna should pick up signals at 8 miles.
Zenith SS is a great choice.

I have a Radio Shack amplified and it's pretty decent too. (Albeit almost twice the cost of the SS.)

Considering you already have a Winegard, though, I think something else is wrong.

One should be able to get a decent signal with rabbit ears at 8 miles.

Yes but the problem channels I'm having is frequency 48 which is in purple and when I angle the Winegard to get it in 59-1 and 13-1 flake out on me.

I can get all the channels in when it is basically pointed kind of in the middle of 63degrees and 164 degrees. But the signal strength falls off and drops out fully sometimes on 59-1 and 13-1.

I believe this is the antenna I have. So I should go with a powered indoor antenna over this one?

gs2200.jpg

I have one of those Winegard Sensar
s that D* provides when hooking you up with OTA HD... It sucks.
I am getting a hundred-fold better reception with a 15 year old set of rabbit ears hooked to my D* STB. IMO, the Winegard Sensar is not much of an antenna.

Cool so get just a powered indoor antenna and it will probably solve my problem? Thats alot simpler than what I thought I was gonna have to do and prolly tons cheaper too!

Not to mention beings it is indoor it will be tons easier to experiment with as well.

"powered" might not even be needed...

The SS is passive. You *can* add a preamp to it, but for that proximity channel, I wouldn't.

The other one is the Radio Shack indoor bow tie. also passive.

Whoa whoa. Sorry - missed the purple 48 miler. :)

You're going to need something more heavy duty outside. Many people swear by the Channel Master 4228. Obviously, this is a step up (I'm assuming you have this sensar on a pole mount from your dish mount), but well worth it.

hancox said:
Whoa whoa. Sorry - missed the purple 48 miler. :)

You're going to need something more heavy duty outside. Many people swear by the Channel Master 4228. Obviously, this is a step up (I'm assuming you have this sensar on a pole mount from your dish mount), but well worth it.

Yes it is on a pole mount off of my dish. So an indoor antenna won't do the job for frequency 48 (its 30.7 miles)?

Channel Master 4228... I will check this out... good place to buy it?

Also that antenna is HUGE... The Square Shooter isn't multi directional is it? it wouldn't help me any would it? I see it can pick up to 50 miles away but didn't know if it could pick up 164 degrees and 61 degrees also

well - I think your sensar is rated at 40 miles, so that shows what the "ratings" are worth :)

There's also a 4 bay model that's smaller.

Signal electronics in MA is a spot I've used.

I just got an xg91 and saw a dramatic improvement in UHF digital signal strength. VHF is a different story. I have a PBS digital on channel 9, and still get it, however the strength is much lower than it had been with a VHF antenna.

On UHF signals at 50 miles + I saw an increase of 20% in signal strength.

The installer ran only 1 line into the house and it is diplexed to get the OTA channels... will that still work without a problem using the channel master?

Also how do you mount those monsters? Do they come with a pole to anchor to the house?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grounding

Using E* dish for directtv HD DVR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts