Struggling tuning slimline 5 lnb

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jamietallman

Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
I purchased a slimline 5 lnb AU-9 directv dish off eBay. Looks to be in good condition. I have it installed on a plumb mast with a very clear view of the south. I have a Dish Network superpro dual lnb dish that I installed within about 10 feet of this dish. It has been working well for several years.

I have a DC12 Standard Def. Directv receiver and service. I am new to directv (have been using Dish for 5 years) so some of their new stuff is confusing to me. I've read all the forums and watched videos. I've tuned several dishes before, so I know the basics.

Here is my problems.

In the reciever setup, I'm choosing 5 lnb multi-sat. It asks if I have the 72.5 and 95 satellites installed. I choose yes, although i've tried the setup without them installed too.

After running the setup and tuning it, this is what I'm getting.

16 at 72.5
1-8 na 0 na 0 na 0 na 0
9-16 na 0 na 0 na 0 na 0
17-24 na 0 na 0 na 83 na 90
25-32 na 96 na 83 na 84 na 84

7 at 95
Nothing at all

32 at 101
1-8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9-16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
17-24 0 0 0 0 0 83 39 80
25-32 0 96 84 83 84 84 0 84

3 at 110
Nothing at all

11 at 119
1-8 na na na na na na na na
9-16 na na na na na na na na
17-24 na na na na na 83 59 80
25-32 0 96 84 83 84 84 0 84

Why can't I get all the transponders on 101? I've tried covering up the outside two lnb's with tin foil leaving only the lnb directly in the center of the dish, which I believe is the 101 lnb. I thought maybe I was picking up the wrong satelllite. When I have the outside two lnbs covered, I can still hit the lower transponders on 101 easily.

Could my lnb be bad? I presume it could, but I figure its probably a tuning issue.

I have no problem hitting the higher number transponders on 101. I can't for the life of me get the lower transponders though.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone tell anything from the signal strengths? The zip is 64801.

Skew is at 82, Elevation about 47-50, Azm about 190.

Receiver says to go skew 82, elevation 47, and azm 186. I've played around with it and get better results with an elevation about 50. I've rotated the skew all around and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Oh, I forgot to also mention that I have a prefabricated coax cable about 25 foot going straight out of the lnb down to an old TV in my garage, so its a short run with nothing in the way just to eliminate cabling.

You should say no to 72.5 and 95--those require two additional dishes.

I suspect that you are pointed at 119 instead of 101. Are you using AZ bearings relative to true or magnetic north (the values given by the receiver relate to magnetic north)? This dish should point to the east of where your Dish antenna is pointing. Once you get it pointed at 101, the tilt/skew adjustment won't affect 101, but will make a difference on 110 and 119 (peak it at 119).

Jamietallman, if you haven't done so already, watch the aiming video available at solidsignal.com.

The dithering process on the 5 LNB Slimline dishes is as much art as it is science for the final adjustments. I had a very good installer tell me that aiming the 3 LNB dish is like "trying to hit an object the size of a basketball up in the sky, aiming the 5 LNB dish is like trying to hit a BB up in the sky."

Good luck!

Well, tonight i'm going to try and retune it. It sounds like I'm pointing to far to the west. I'll move it to the east and patiently tweak it to try and hit the baseball in the sky.

I'm just not sure how much I wanna try or just try and call someone to do it. I take a lot of pride in DIY, so hopefully I can do it. I've always managed with other dishes.

I got the mast a little more plumb and went more to the east and eventually nailed all three. I'm good to go. Thanks.

I had a very good installer tell me that aiming the 3 LNB dish is like "trying to hit an object the size of a basketball up in the sky, aiming the 5 LNB dish is like trying to hit a BB up in the sky."

Good luck!
according to DTV's newest training video it's more like a golf ball than a bb

I got the mast a little more plumb and went more to the east and eventually nailed all three. I'm good to go. Thanks.

A little more plumb ?????

Thats probably been your problem all along.
You need to have that puppy PLUMB from the git go.
That is the NUMBER 1 thing to do, very first thing you do when setting these dishes up.
Remember your pointing at a satellite that is 22,500 miles in the sky, slightly of PLUMB can be MILES away when pointing.

I'm glad you were able to find everything, I know how frustrating it can be when you figure you've got everything in order and you don't get it. :)

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.