STS Actuator

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
While I am waiting for my welder to get time to weld up my next non-pen mount. (Waiting patiently :eek:)

The spun aluminum solid dish I got recently came with an STS 24" actuator.

I took it apart the other day, and it seems to be in good shape.

The sensor is bad, no counts, and it has no limit switches and only 3 magnets on the sensor/gear.

There are some odd things about it.

1. The tubes appear to be made of aluminum. In the picture below there is no rust on any parts except the steel.

2. Even though there are no limit switches, I can't screw the inner tube all the way out/off.

3. The outer tube screws into the motor housing like a pipe.

I probably won't try and restore it for the spun alum dish. I have other working actuators to use for it.

I hooked it up and it runs in and out fine. The motor will sometimes make a loud noise, but if I stop and start it again it quits. I suspect it is the brushes. (not hard to replace if you can find some close to the same.

The threaded rod was in perfect condition. No rust, and still some lubricant on it.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know anything about the STS brand?

2. Is it perhaps a fore-runner of the Thompson Saginaw brand?

I greased it up good with some spay on white lithium grease, and when I do restore it, I am going to try one of the new electronic type sensors with a gear that has more than 3 magnets. :)

Here is a pic:

sts-24inch-actuator.JPG

If anyone has any info, can you please post it?

Thanks,

Fred

i've got a JCS Actuator with aluminum tubes. I am having motor problems though. A new Venture is going to be here tomorrow. I'd have to say an aluminum tube is a good idea, especially down here in the hot humid climate.

Thanks Jim and Stogie,

It is a well built mover, just needs a little TLC and some newer technology and it will be fine.

Just another small project to get it running and ready for service. :)

Fred

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts