Studios going Purple in 2008

Format neutrality would be good for the studios... they'd sell more, more b1g1s, and lower prices on the discs. While I love HD DVD I have problems paying $27.95 for a disc that may suck or that I'll be trying to trade off by the weekend.

I just got a Toshiba HD-A3 a few days ago and am using it on my Optoma HD70 projector and am loving it. This news would only make things better and if Netflix carried many of these titles I'll be one heck of a happy camper. I got my first 3 HD DVD movies from Netflix in about a day and they all played great. I sure as heck won't buy a blu-ray player until the price drops like a fly regardless of Disney for example going purple or not. I guess I've picked HD-DVD because its cheaper and blu-ray just doesn't seem to offer enough of a better experience to warrant the higher price. In the days of VHS and Betamax I would have paid more for quality in the case of Betamax just as I paid more for all of my HDTV sets over getting an SD set even with very little HD content. I knew it would only increase and get better and the quality jump was dramatic enough to warrant the additional costs of both the set and the HD content to go along with it.

I guess I've picked HD-DVD because its cheaper and blu-ray just doesn't seem to offer enough of a better experience to warrant the higher price. .
Congrats on the new player.

You are correct, from a viewing stand point it offers no improvement. I would wager that there wouldnt be a single person that could pick either one out in a "blind" test.

Congrats on the new player.

You are correct, from a viewing stand point it offers no improvement. I would wager that there wouldnt be a single person that could pick either one out in a "blind" test.

There are certain nearly pathological cases where one could demonstrate that the higher bandwidth and storage capacity might make a visible difference.

The problem is there isn't really any content encoded with the same codecs and encoders where you can see any substantive differences.

The content providers won't make it easy for us either.

Cheers,

There are certain nearly pathological cases where one could demonstrate that the higher bandwidth and storage capacity might make a visible difference.

The problem is there isn't really any content encoded with the same codecs and encoders where you can see any substantive differences.

The content providers won't make it easy for us either.

Cheers,
Oh I can see where it COULD be slightly better, it(in my experience) just isnt. Dont take that to mean I think its worse, I think they are way more alike than different

I'd like to give my opinion on the major studios going purple in 2008.......Look for Disney and Lionsgate to go purple in January/Febuary. There are tons of buzz in hollywood about this move.....it's pretty much been hush hush from the 2 studios but all will be answered soon. Look for CES to be the start

With Warner's announcement (just before CES starts) of Blu-ray only after May, this prediction looks really unlikely.

I think you see Universal go purple.

a BD insider gave two hints a couple of days ago, they ready that one party was going blu and one was going from red.

I think you see Universal go purple.

a BD insider gave two hints a couple of days ago, they ready that one party was going blu and one was going from red.

This would be great! Then people would get off the fence and buy buy buy!! At least i hope so because prices for both still need to go down!

This would be great! Then people would get off the fence and buy buy buy!! At least i hope so because prices for both still need to go down!

With HD going away, Blu will keep prices high if not raise them. I expect the MSRP of $39.99 (or higher) to become the norm! :mad:

Thank you, one less item for me to be confused about.

Topic 1:

Blue = Blu-Ray = Democratic
Red = HD-DVD = Republican

Topic 2:

Purple = Neutral? More like Bi. Swings both ways. Makes my engineering heart groan. There is no technical reason on earth to have two. Calling it Neutral makes is sound "nice and good", like "network neutrality". That is very misleading.

Discuss among yourselves.

So, after the announcement that Warner is going Blu only we get this kind of FUD? You can voice your oppinion but that does not make it viable -- just a piece of FUD. Warner going Blu gives the BD camp over 70% of studio support. That pretty much is the nail in the coffin for HD-DVD. FUD like this is the only way HD-DVD can survive. If Warner's decision is BD only then say goodbye to HD-DVD. If you are looking for a studio that will probably go purple look to Universal. And this could happen before Warner says its final goodbyes to HD-DVD in April.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)