stupid HOA

I just bought some property and planning on building in the next year. The person who was parceling the lots out was asking me about what my plans were before he would sell it to me. Basically he said the only thing he required it the house to be atleast 1800 sq feet. I told him I about my satellite business and told him I may have 3 or 4 up at a time. He said no one would care as long as they were not seen, which I dont mind that because I dont want to see them either everyday I drive up. These stupid people who try to forbid satellites in there HOA should be drug out in the street and shot for there stupidaty. "That was just a joke nobody take it seriously and try to sue me."

navychop said:
Just FYI, I am ON a HOA, and this area is more or less under my purview. Guess who was the first one to put up a strictly forbidden OTA antenna? Guess who never noticed for 2-3 months, and noticed only then because I pointed it out to them?

When a lawyer's review of our rules failed to note that our dish & OTA antenna requirements were not valid, I had to speak up. To think we paid good money to that guy- and there were other errors. I was prepared, and handed out paper with the link to the FCC on this matter. I kept hearing "It certainly IS my business if it affects my property value!" and "once one goes up, many more go up and the place looks like he!!" and similar comments. I just referred them to the site and stood my ground. After that meeting, I never heard another comment. And now, well over a year later, maybe 2, only one other person has put up an OTA antenna.

I'm on the board to protect my interests against those that would use the board as a dictatorship. We seem to have had a board like that a few years before I moved in. But after a few years of volunteer work on the HOA and verbal abuse from neighbors, at least one of which seems to be afflicted with mental problems, I look forward to fall 2006, when I step down. That said, you might consider serving on your HOA, at least for a while, to leaven some of the misguided impulses that crop up.
Sounds just like my HOA (I'm on the board, too). We had to fight down a few @$$holes that think they live in a $1m area. Not just for antennas, but everything else you can think of. One of my best friends has no less than 7-8 ham antennas. I've got 6 dishes, and going to add a WiFi and maybe OTA someday (but I doubt it). :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)