Stupid LNBF questions, 311

adam1115

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Ok, sorry to be dumb, I canceled back in 2003 when things were simpler.

I bought a Dish 311 receiver, it has an input for Dish Plus.

I have a dish 500 dish, with no LNBF, so I'm buying a new LNBF on ebay.

What do I need? Can I use legacy? Dish Pro Quad or Dual? What the H** is a separator??

You should buy a DP Twin for the D500. If you want to add a dual tuner receiver in the future then buy a DPP Twin. What's the difference? You can use a single cable to feed a dual tuner receiver with a SEPARATOR and a DPP Twin.

DPP = Dish Pro Plus
DP = Dish Pro

You can use any that you mentioned, the 311 like most others are backwards compatable. However I would go with what Randall said.

You should buy a DP Twin for the D500. If you want to add a dual tuner receiver in the future then buy a DPP Twin. What's the difference? You can use a single cable to feed a dual tuner receiver with a SEPARATOR and a DPP Twin.

DPP = Dish Pro Plus
DP = Dish Pro

I still don't really understand the whole dish pro dish pro plus stuff..

I'll never need a dual tuner receiver, this is only going to receive 4 channels and feed a single tuner tivo, so I'm just going to use a legacy twin since they are cheapest..

Legacy Twin will do.

Just think ahead though, I would go with a DP Twin but it's up to you. Legacy equipment was the first equipment they released. Then Dish Pro came out and the latest one is Dish Pro Plus.