Is E* cheaper than D*?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I have to ask since there is so many E* subs that say that E* is cheaper than D* and are backing up Dish Network statement about not wanting to put the price tag of packages like MLB EI or channels into subs. Can someone look at the prices and let us know how much cheaper is Dish Network to DirecTv?

Not considering any premiums, E* is a little cheaper.

I am sure that a comparison could be done. But, as I have said in other threads, there is a gray area here because the packages do not line up as well as they once did. You might find a tiering effect.

I shopped prices 2 months ago - as stated above it is really almost impossible to make a direct comparison - since the offerings are different.

But trying to get as close as I could on a similar packages, they are surprisingly similar. I ended up choosing DirecTV - based on a couple of factors, my locals in hi-def, and the better choices for sports stuff.

Price wasn't a factor - they were awfully close.

What I am thinking is that "if" there is an actual difference. The difference is quite minimal. So to me it just says that E* is manipulating the story of fighting for cheaper prices as a tactic to let subs know that their packages are cheaper than anything in the market when there is a very little difference. All of this whinning about EI and channels makes you re-think the whole idea of being an E* sub because E* just makes it impossible for subs to understand what they are talking about.

E* is much cheaper if you have 4 or more TV"s. You save $5.00 on converter boxes alone. E* offers dual boxes D* doesn't.

What I am thinking is that "if" there is an actual difference. The difference is quite minimal. So to me it just says that E* is manipulating the story of fighting for cheaper prices as a tactic to let subs know that their packages are cheaper than anything in the market when there is a very little difference. All of this whinning about EI and channels makes you re-think the whole idea of being an E* sub because E* just makes it impossible for subs to understand what they are talking about.

Sean - it is purposely meant to be confusing. If the comparison was so close and so easy to make, well - you know the rest. It is designed to confuse folks, and to allow each of them to tout their own strengths.

But as for the issue of echostar whining, well I think you are on to something there for sure. They say they care about their customers, but I think they really only care about themselves. This company has been way less forthcoming than directv in putting out information regarding their planned expansion of hd.

While directv can be accused of putting information out far in advance (which has their supporters in a pumped up mood), dish seems content to respond now rather than lead. For one, I would like to have had some more info as to what the dish plan is for 2008 - I know what the directv plan is. I'm smart enough to separate what I consider fact from fluff.

Hey Sean,

Not much difference for me because all I watch on E* on one TV is:

SD: Sci-Fi & USA

HD: Nationals and 4 LIL

E* = 35 base + 20 HD = 55

D* = 50 base + 10 HD = 60

But in certain cities like New York, Baltimore, and Washington D.C. Dish Network subs come out farther ahead because they get a rebate for not having their local sports teams .....

... oops, take that back, no they don't. :(

For me D* is cheaper and i would get more locals and multi sports looks like. I have the almost everything with three Dvr's. I am leasing one DVR. After the HD enabling, leasing and then 20 hd pak. If i drop down from the AEP then i would pay the same or more depending on the pak.
I like how D* charges for one DVR per account! miring fee's seem to be a dollar more on E*. Oh yea i forgot a pay 6.99 if there equipment breaks. That way i don't have to pay for a new receiver and lease fee. When D* gets there HD up to par quality wise well then its time for me togo.

Wow, Sean I am impressed a level headed post about E* and D* pricing.

I think the packages must be priced closely or people probably would swing to one provider just for price.

But in certain cities like New York, Baltimore, and Washington D.C. Dish Network subs come out farther ahead because they get a rebate for not having their local sports teams .....

... oops, take that back, no they don't. :(

funny funny !sadroll

Does D* have Dual Tuner DVR Receivers?

I like the Equipment That E* has AS I'm Going for a whole House Solution.

The HD Quality (and Qty) Is supposedly Better with E* also.

So Even If the Bottom Line is the same Then E* has the better Service for the price.

***Disclamer***
I have not looked at D* since the Close of V* I don't know about the Programming Package Differences. But the initial Outlay For D* Was higher and that and the reason that I went with E*.
***Disclamer***

Sean - it is purposely meant to be confusing. If the comparison was so close and so easy to make, well - you know the rest. It is designed to confuse folks, and to allow each of them to tout their own strengths.

But as for the issue of echostar whining, well I think you are on to something there for sure. They say they care about their customers, but I think they really only care about themselves.
\

Most company's all they care about really is getting the investors and shareholders a return when they want it. That's what most public company's care about. they can say this or that about caring for the customer but bottom line is the truth.

Does D* have Dual Tuner DVR Receivers?

Yes

Cegarrett said:
The HD Quality (and Qty) Is supposedly Better with E* also.

But is the quality of the programming better? Absolutely NOT. DirecTV offers many more households than Dish local channels in HD. DirecTV has a far greater choice of sports programming in HD. As far as PQ is concerned, the trend with Dish is HD-lite - the same as DirecTV.

Time for your RealityCheck.

D* does not have a box that feeds two separate TVs independently. D* PQ is lower. And E* has more national HD channels, the ones that count the most.

D* does not have a box that feeds two separate TVs independently. D* PQ is lower. And E* has more national HD channels, the ones that count the most.

The poster asked if DirecTV has a DVR with two tuners - in fact the HR20 has 2 sat tuners and 2 OTA tuners.

If your counting VOOM - than your argument is dead wrong. If you are in a part of the country that is not getting HD locals than it is also dead wrong.

Way more people would rather have HD locals than VOOM.

Time for your RealityCheck I'm afraid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts