Stupid newbie question: What should an 811 receiver owner do?

SignGuyDino

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Fletcher, NC
I bought the 811 receiver with the HDTV set from *E two years ago.

From what I'm deciphering on these boards, the 811 is going to be pretty much useless to me for the HD channels I will want.

So what should I do? What receiver should I buy and how much? Wait to lease and how much?

No answer is too smart ass...

Last edited:
You can lease a 211 for $99 including install and you can trade your 811 in for a $50 credit. I think you could probably get more for the 811 on ebay.

Thanks. If I did that, and kept the 811, would they install the receiver to another room? I could always get a small HD receiver there.

Will an 811 still sell on ebay? Also would that be ethical knowing that they are no longer activating the 811? (yeah I have a conscience)

Just a stupid question. I own my equipment, never leased.

Is that $50 a monthly fee and if not what is the monthly fee?

Thx much

I'm just guessing but I think what has changed is dish will no longer activate the $10 HD Pack and won't activate the new HD pack unless you have mpeg4. If that is true then you should be able to actiavte an 811 for SD, Digital OTA and maybe HBOHD,SHOHD and PPVHD.

The 811 will be good for all current HD programming, until Dish converts these to MPEG4, which will happen in the future. Is you want the new current & future HD channels you will need to get a VIP reciever.

You can always sell the 811 to our friends north of the border. They can use them for Bell Express Vu.

an even *stupider* question: how do I know if I bought or leased my 811? I've had it for a year or 2 and think they gave it to me as a new subscriber. i dont want to sell mine and then find out it was a lease!

59allstate said:
an even *stupider* question: how do I know if I bought or leased my 811? I've had it for a year or 2 and think they gave it to me as a new subscriber. i dont want to sell mine and then find out it was a lease!

You would know if you bought it cause that means you went to a store, retailer or online, and plunked down some hard cash for it. If you just got it from Dish when you signed up, it's a lease.

WJMorales said:
You can always sell the 811 to our friends north of the border. They can use them for Bell Express Vu.
umm...you sure about that? I thought Bell had a different series of serial numbers and different firmware programming.
If it was that easy, I'd switch my 811 to Expressvu and get HD from both Boston and Seattle, not to mention Toronto & Vancouver.

59allstate said:
You may own it, I got a 811 and two 311s with the Free Dish promo that was running a couple of years ago. Do you remember what your promo was called when you signed up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts