Stupid questions: Dish 508 and OTA Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mfrodsha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 12, 2004
I realize the Dish 508 is old school for many of you, but a couple of questions for you smart guys out there.

I have decided to add OTA channels to my Dish 508 (identical to Dish 510, but smaller hard drive), since I have had great success in terms of quality and numbers of channels by adding the OTA HD channels to my Dish 921 using my roof antenna.

1) If I add the roof antenna signal to my Dish 508, will they be digital channels, or analog only?

2) How do I add the channels other than just plug in the cable? Is there a menu item where I need to scan for OTA channels, like I have to do with the Dish 921? I didn't see such a menu item on first glance. Is it buried in some installation menu item?

3) Will I get program guide features with OTA channels on the Dish 508, or will it just say "Local Programming", like with the Dish 921 receiver?

Thanks for any help!!

The 508 does not have an OTA tuner. The antenna in/out is only used to send signals to your TV set. You'd have to use your TV tuner to get the OTA channels and you can't record that onto your 508. The only way to record OTA channels is to subscribe to them, if they are available, for $5.99/month.

mikew said:
The 508 does not have an OTA tuner. The antenna in/out is only used to send signals to your TV set. You'd have to use your TV tuner to get the OTA channels and you can't record that onto your 508. The only way to record OTA channels is to subscribe to them, if they are available, for $5.99/month.

Well, then I'm confused on what the Antenna-in coxial port is on the back of the 508. There is both an Antenna-in coxial port and a coxial port that is "Out to TV" on the back.

You're saying that I have to use the TV to tune the channel, and then send the signal out from the TV (or VCR) to the Dish 508, just to get the signals? Then, on top of that, there is no recording? This contradicts what I have heard about lesser Dish receivers. A friend says he pipes an antenna signal directly into his analog dish receiver for local channels.

Sorry to be dense.

Pretty much the only use for the ANT IN is for when you use COAX OUT for watching the satellite box (ie, use channel 3 or 4).

It's purpose is so that you only need one COAX connection to your TV. When the satellite recv is ON, it only transmits its signal via channel 3/4. When the satellite recv is OFF, it simply passes through the signal from the ANT IN of the satellite recv.

If you view the satellite recv via SVIDEO or COMPOSITE (yellow, red, white cables) there really is no reason to use the ANT IN of the receiver.

And I can confirm that NONE of the dish receivers can record OTA ANALOG. That would require an expensive encoder. However, the 921 can record OTA DIGITAL (well, at least it's supposed to :) ).

KyDave said:
Pretty much the only use for the ANT IN is for when you use COAX OUT for watching the satellite box (ie, use channel 3 or 4).

It's purpose is so that you only need one COAX connection to your TV. When the satellite recv is ON, it only transmits its signal via channel 3/4. When the satellite recv is OFF, it simply passes through the signal from the ANT IN of the satellite recv.

If you view the satellite recv via SVIDEO or COMPOSITE (yellow, red, white cables) there really is no reason to use the ANT IN of the receiver.

And I can confirm that NONE of the dish receivers can record OTA ANALOG. That would require an expensive encoder. However, the 921 can record OTA DIGITAL (well, at least it's supposed to :) ).

Thanks for the information. Dish Tech support just confirmed the same. Bummer. I was hoping to cancel my monthly local programming fee and just use OTA, but my wife would never stand for not being able to record her reality programs on the upstairs 508 receiver. ;-)

I use the coax out to feed a signal to my projector in the next room so I can watch my 501 through my Dish 6000 tuned as an OTA channel 3. Since the PQ sucks so bad, normally just my daughter watches her cartoons that I recorded for her, she loves to see them so big.

The only receivers with a built in tuner for OTA are the receivers that can (or could) do HD

5000..the only reason I use my 5000 and have the 301 in storage

Iceberg said:
The only receivers with a built in tuner for OTA are the receivers that can (or could) do HD

5000..the only reason I use my 5000 and have the 301 in storage

I understand that the Dish 5000 integrates the OTA data into the program guide. Is this true? Also, can you record, using the PVR, local OTA channels through the program guide and Dish 5000?

If it has this capability, it might be worth substituting my leased 508 with a purchased 5000 (via ebay) just for this functionality. What would you recommend?

mfrodsha said:
I understand that the Dish 5000 integrates the OTA data into the program guide. Is this true? Also, can you record, using the PVR, local OTA channels through the program guide and Dish 5000?

If it has this capability, it might be worth substituting my leased 508 with a purchased 5000 (via ebay) just for this functionality. What would you recommend?

Dish's Model 5000 is NOT a Hard Drive Based Product and has NO PVR features what so ever.

The Dish 5000 will integrate the EPG data into the local OTA stations in the Dish EPG guide, but as soon as the local channels are broadcasting local or syndicated programing only programing (Non Network Shows) then the guide will only say "Local Programing" in the guide.

NO DirecTV or Dish PVR can record OTA signals unless you purchase a Dish 921 DVR (the 921 can record your Local OTA stations IF and ONLY IF they are DIGITAL channels whether SD or HD), the 921 (cost $999) can NOT record Analog OTA channel assignments. The reason is NO DBS Satellite Based DVR product has an MPEG ENCODER to convert analog signals to digital format to allow the use of the hard drive recording and buffering.

John

JohnL said:
Dish's Model 5000 is NOT a Hard Drive Based Product and has NO PVR features what so ever.

The Dish 5000 will integrate the EPG data into the local OTA stations in the Dish EPG guide, but as soon as the local channels are broadcasting local or syndicated programing only programing (Non Network Shows) then the guide will only say "Local Programing" in the guide.

NO DirecTV or Dish PVR can record OTA signals unless you purchase a Dish 921 DVR (the 921 can record your Local OTA stations IF and ONLY IF they are DIGITAL channels whether SD or HD), the 921 (cost $999) can NOT record Analog OTA channel assignments. The reason is NO DBS Satellite Based DVR product has an MPEG ENCODER to convert analog signals to digital format to allow the use of the hard drive recording and buffering.

John

Too bad. Oh well. One buggy 921 is enough for our household so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts