Stupid questions

Sapient

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I recently moved and used DishMover to get my 522 hooked up at my new home. At my old place, my 522 had this little coax thing screwed onto the TV2 Out. The little doohicky has a sticker on it saying something about it being required by Dish or the FCC or something. The installers took it off and left it laying on the floor.

Do I need that thing?

Everything worked normally after they left. But I later moved it up to a shelf that I did not have installed in time for the installation. Now on TV1 I no longer get the "Press Select" screen saver on TV1. I did disconnect all the cables before moving it, and it is possible that I switched a couple around. Could that be the reason?

Sorry these questions are so dumb. Pretend I also asked something about LNBs or switches or some other thing that you guys talk about and I don't understand.

are you sure it was on the TV2 out? there is a little antenna that goes on the uhf antenna port.

what you described sounds like you may have switched a couple of wires... but is everything working right?

The little thing on the TV2 out is(was) an attenuator. It is needed to reduce the signal at the TV if TV2 is connected directly to a single TV. (Some FCC rule)

n0qcu said:
The little thing on the TV2 out is(was) an attenuator. It is needed to reduce the signal at the TV if TV2 is connected directly to a single TV. (Some FCC rule)

I never got one of those... taht darn installer... wonder if my new 522 will have one

Sapient said:
Pretend I also asked something about LNBs or switches or some other thing that you guys talk about and I don't understand.
OK, then:
(A) about 9 or so
(B) yes.
(C) You'll need a hexiquad multipass dishplus proscan LNBswitch with integrated alphablockscanner in order for that to work with a decent picture.

TuxCoder said:
OK, then:
(A) about 9 or so
(B) yes.
(C) You'll need a hexiquad multipass dishplus proscan LNBswitch with integrated alphablockscanner in order for that to work with a decent picture.
I am so glad I came across this posting. I did everything you described and now my 522 works flawlessly. All this time my hexiquad was proscanning to the wrong multipass.
:) ;) :p :cool: :D :confused:

Glad to help. :)
I personally went through 3 or 4 fried alphablockscanners before I realized I had the inverted hexiquad version. Changed it and my signal polarizing global offshoot contention factor went up 123%.

TuxCoder said:
Glad to help. :)
I personally went through 3 or 4 fried alphablockscanners before I realized I had the inverted hexiquad version. Changed it and my signal polarizing global offshoot contention factor went up 123%.
ROFLOL :D :D :D

ShadowEKU said:
what you described sounds like you may have switched a couple of wires... but is everything working right?

Maybe I should try switching the wires from the dish into the 522 around?

n0qcu said:

Should I put it back on?

TuxCoder said:
OK, then:
(A) about 9 or so
(B) yes.

A) The installer only left 8. I'll try to make one with the extra cardboard.
B) Ok.
C) I have some SPF 45.

Sapient said:
Maybe I should try switching the wires from the dish into the 522 around?
Seriously, I would check the connections on the 522 and TV. Refer to the manual that came with it if you have it.

There are five coaxal F connections on the back of you 522:
Satellite input (2 of them)
TV1 output
TV2 output
UHF antenna.

If any of these are miss-matched it could explain the problem.

If your TV is connected to the 522 via RCA and/or SVideo connections, you should double check these too and make sure your TV is set to the proper video source.

maximum said:
Seriously, I would check the connections on the 522 and TV. Refer to the manual that came with it if you have it.

There are five coaxal F connections on the back of you 522:
Satellite input (2 of them)
TV1 output
TV2 output
UHF antenna.

If any of these are miss-matched it could explain the problem.

If your TV is connected to the 522 via RCA and/or SVideo connections, you should double check these too and make sure your TV is set to the proper video source.

Thanks. The only thing that really could be mismatched are the two Satellite inputs. TV1 is definately controlled by the TV1 remote and TV2 is definately controlled by the TV2 remote.

The only thing that is not working correctly is that when the TV1 tuner is off, my TV1 is not showing the "Press Select" screen saver. I don't know if the 522 is not sending it or my TV is not getting it, but it was working fine until I put the 522 up onto a shelf (and disconected and reconnected all the cables). I'll be at home soon, and will check all the connections again. I worry that I broke something when I moved it.

As for the attenuator, it's only needed if your cable goes directly from the TV 2 RF out and into a TV (or VCR or other tuner). If there are one or more splitters in between, leave the attenuator off.

Sapient said:
A) The installer only left 8. I'll try to make one with the extra cardboard.
I first read that as "the installer only left at 8." Changes the meaning of the next sentence somewhat. If you try to make one (an installer) with the extra cardboard, trust me, you don't want to forget the ketchup stain on the shirt. Without that, it will not perform as well as an actual Dish Network installer. With it, however, you'll be surprised at the results.

(My apologies to any actual installers here, just having a little fun, but you know the guys I'm talking about.) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)