Subbed VIP211k will it work just north of the border in Canada?

vill59

Original poster
Hi all I have an accnt for Dish in Colville WA and want to use the extra reciever in the RV
we went North to Canada about 40 miles from home and set up the system, the reciever did its downloading from sat and then it pops up with not authorized please call 1-800*
but 800 numbers dont work there got ahold of Dish online talked to techy he said reciever wont work in Canada it knows where it is, I called BS whats the real story here?There seems to be alot of experience on this site...
Thanks in advance Vill

Boy that is some technology for the receiver to know that it's in Canada. Now if you waited to long from disconnecting it and reconnecting it , it could lose it's authorization and need a rehit. Try calling DISH from a cell phone and see if you can get a rehit.

Nobody told you??? Dish has experimental software that will shut your receiver down, the minute it crosses that invisible border line.. If you want it to work, you have to dig a hole under the border and cross the receiver over without going OVER the border.. :) Or you could just call BS on this whole thing..

yes it will work the problem is you told them your in CANADA.. Dish cant give service to canada due to law and they have another provider for canada.

Your box should work north of the boarder when your on vacation once its active . All you need to say is we have added a new box to our home and they will activate it . If it becomes deactive you will need to call them back and say the guest room tv is not working as you only plug in all the gear when a guest comes to stay. Also you can Deactivate the box to save on the $7 when your not on vacation and turn it back on once you get signal .

Hi all I have an accnt for Dish in Colville WA and want to use the extra reciever in the RV
we went North to Canada about 40 miles from home and set up the system, the reciever did its downloading from sat and then it pops up with not authorized please call 1-800*
but 800 numbers dont work there got ahold of Dish online talked to techy he said reciever wont work in Canada it knows where it is, I called BS whats the real story here?There seems to be alot of experience on this site...
Thanks in advance Vill

You told him that you were in Canada? He probably shut the receiver off right after you told him that you were in Canada.

Well thats a kick in the naughty bits, the only reason we got this system was the guy in our area said it wouldnt be a problem going to Canada and having this reciever in the RV. Now what do I do with this thing if its been blocked by Dish ? Live and regret your choices I guess...

If its back in the states, hook it up to the system, download the info, call and activate it

Dont give them any more info then they ask.
Dont tell them you are/were/maybe will be in Canada
Dont tell them its in a RV
Dont tell them that at the border you farted and cleared the vehicle of all passengers because it stunk so bad
Dont tell them you stopped at Tim Hortons for a coffee and the new breakfast sandwich on the way

"Hi Dish. I bought a new reciever and want to activate it. I'm at the screen that says "call 800-333-3474 to activate"
Give them the account info
Give them the R# & S# off the screen
wait 15-20 minutes for it to download all the pertinent info

enjoy TV :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts