Subchannel Discussion Thread

Just a random sidenote, I think it may be possible RTV is experimenting with a Live Stream like they did in the past under previous owners.

After noticing Rev'N from them had a Live Stream, I searched trying to find an RTV one.

Found this:

Live | Retro TV

It's looks like the page was setup, just not activated.

Reactions: FTA4PA
It's looks like the page was setup, just not activated.
Stubs like this really shouldn't be taken as definitive indicators of future direction.

It may just be the template that they chose had this feature and there was never any intention to implement it.

I would also observe that you shouldn't make up acronyms. I had previously never seen anyone try to associate RTV with RetroTV (although it is one of eight possibilities listed on Wikipedia, they're all TV channels). Perhaps most importantly, Retro TV doesn't use the designation themselves.

retro o TV was originally RTN then RTV and now simly Retro TV. It has not had a lot worth watching for some time but no shortage of names and/or nicknames.

Still, they did use it... :rolleyes:
Some still refer to DIRECTV as DTV (because it was the NYSE stock symbol back in the day).

Does that make it right or should we assume that when we see DTV, we're talking about OTA television broadcast using the ATSC standard (as opposed to ATSC 3.0 -- "Next Gen TV")?

When I see RTV, I'm thinking silicone caulking goo.

In the interest of a clear understanding, we should avoid obscure or indeterminate short-cuts (although I admittedly shorten "Next Gen TV" to "Next Gen" that might be confused with a round of Star Trek if there weren't already a handy ST:TNG associated with that).

Some still refer to DIRECTV as DTV (because it was the NYSE stock symbol back in the day).

Does that make it right or should we assume that when we see DTV, we're talking about OTA television broadcast using the ATSC standard (as opposed to ATSC 3.0 -- "Next Gen TV")?

When I see RTV, I'm thinking silicone caulking goo.

In the interest of a clear understanding, we should avoid obscure or indeterminate short-cuts (although I admittedly shorten "Next Gen TV" to "Next Gen" that might be confused with a round of Star Trek if there weren't already a handy ST:TNG associated with that).

No assumption was made and there is nothing obscure, indeterminate or ambiguous. RedPenguin mentioned RTV in direct reference to RetroTV to which you responded:

I would also observe that you shouldn't make up acronyms. I had previously never seen anyone try to associate RTV with RetroTV (although it is one of eight possibilities listed on Wikipedia, they're all TV channels). Perhaps most importantly, Retro TV doesn't use the designation themselves.

He did not make it up. He simply mentioned an acronym that RetroTV did, in fact, use to refer to themselves a few years ago, proof being the link I provided to an archived version of their webpage (RTV - Retro Television). Just because they don't use RTV to refer to themselves presently does not negate the fact that they once did. It also does it lessen RedPenguin's attempt to provide useful information to our forum, for which I thank him.

You ask for RTV,I say here ya go,
80050.jpg
:)

this site won't let me post help to the ota people,or ota with internet.keeps coming up as span when just giving legal links to stations that are OTA and also have an internet presence for people that can't recieve them OTA. Wish all sub channels had to do this. Anyways here is list I have,Anymore welcome. To all out there on internet,You don't have to pay for a service for more.
As Cord Cutting Grows, So Does Antennas Sales & OTA TV - Cord Cutters News

The failing in the CCN article and many other blog posts about OTA is failing to provide perspective. 8.1 million is what percentage of the TV viewing households? As it turns out, that it is somewhere around 6.7%. This isn't a tidal wave by any means. In fact, it is about one point more than the percentage of US men that wear thong underwear daily.

To suggest that the broadcasters are keenly interested in providing compelling free programming is also folly. For every six channels added, one of them might be interesting once in awhile. The broadcasters simply want more streams so they can eventually be pushing out commercials 100% of the time across their channels.

As larrykenny pointed out recently, some stations are putting these new channels in along with up to FIFTEEN other sibling channels. That's not doing anyone any good.

Ion Life now seems to have changed it focus recently from lifestyle to drama. It is now showing scripted shows like Raising Hope, The Listener and Rookie Blue. It seems to be showing marathons of these scripted shows each day like Ion. It's almost Ion 2. I suppose these shows will rate a lot better than the cheap lifestyle shows and as they have the rights to these scripted shows they might as well stick them on Ion Life.

Ion Life now seems to have changed it focus recently from lifestyle to drama. It is now showing scripted shows like Raising Hope, The Listener and Rookie Blue. It seems to be showing marathons of these scripted shows each day like Ion. It's almost Ion 2. I suppose these shows will rate a lot better than the cheap lifestyle shows and as they have the rights to these scripted shows they might as well stick them on Ion Life.

The channel is experiencing that "channel drift" phenomenon...
You're right about it becoming a second Ion.
It may be just wishful thinking, but I just hope the main Ion TV network reverts to the "positive" network it used to be when it was both Pax TV in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

They’ve ran out of access to new programming. IonLife has been repeating the same episodes for several years now. There is plenty of that type of lifestyle programming from the UK and Australia that hasn’t been picked up in the USA, by the streaming services of Netflix, Amazon, Acorn, Britbox or Tubi. It seems some of the scripps programming is finally becoming available again on their online platforms since Discovery took over, but other than that there isn’t a source for Ion to tap for new old material.

Maybe make main IONTV with 8pm to 10pm Primetime programming with picking up shows that have been cancelled giving them a second chance. Also local Newscast on it.
Court TV has some of it Affliates annouced but none of Tribune stations yet.

Would Ion not be better to air CSI/Blue Bloods/NCIS as on Ion Life also? Surely repeating these on Ion Life as well would draw more viewers than the lifestyle shows? Almost Ion 2. As they have the rights for them they might as well air them on Ion Life as well. The repeats of these hit series rate fairly well on Ion don't they?

It's been awhile since a new post was made here, but CBS' Dabl subchannel, which is scheduled to launch in exactly two weeks (Monday, September 9th), had a soft-launch over KCBS Channel 2.3 here in Los Angeles this past weekend. Unlike ABC's Live Well Network, which was made of original content largely produced by the ABC O&Os, it looks Dabl utilizing the resources of the CBS TV library in association with Martha Stewart and Emeril Lagasse to air content.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Would Ion not be better to air CSI/Blue Bloods/NCIS as on Ion Life also? Surely repeating these on Ion Life as well would draw more viewers than the lifestyle shows? Almost Ion 2. As they have the rights for them they might as well air them on Ion Life as well. The repeats of these hit series rate fairly well on Ion don't they?
Ion Life has changed its name to Ion Plus...