Subscribe only to HBO or Showtime?

seank

Aug 7, 2010
Ithaca, ny
I am new to this forum. I have been trying to find out the answer to this question but so far have had no luck.

If I buy and setup my own hardware, can I subscribe only to HBO? (or Showtime or Cinemax, etc). If so, what other monthly costs are there besides the monthly HBO charge?

I really like HBO, but I hate having to subscribe to a whole package just to get it!

Thanks for any help.

-Sean

I thought if you own your own equipment you can get just hbo if you pay the $6 fee for not having qualified programming? When did that stop being an option???

I thought if you own your own equipment you can get just hbo if you pay the $6 fee for not having qualified programming? When did that stop being an option???

To the best of my knowledge you still can.

I think you can also get just locals for $9.99 not sure if you can add HBO.

So what are the total fees for just HBO? Can you add or drop other premium channels easily? Is there a fee each time you do it?

Thanks.
There is a $ 5.00 downgrade fee each time you drop something and for adult channels I think its $10.00 or $20.00. I'm not sure of the fee for not having a package but I do know you can get just the locals for $9.99 a month.

It is only $6.00 for no basic programming pack if you want just locals or just premium movie channels. Anyone can do this if you own your receivers and you are not under commitment.

Thanks for all the help. I have an opportunity to buy a used VIP 722k and have A few more questions:

1). Can I just buy a new smart card from dish and use this with the 722k? Or if it comes with a card can i activate it on a new account? Anything else I need to watch out for when buying a used tuner?

2) Will the 722k work as a regular tuner if I don't want to pay for DVR service?

3) Is the 722k somewhat future proof as far as mpeg4 and HD channels go?

Once again, thanks for all the great help.

Thanks for all the help. I have an opportunity to buy a used VIP 722k and have A few more questions:

1). Can I just buy a new smart card from dish and use this with the 722k? Or if it comes with a card can i activate it on a new account? Anything else I need to watch out for when buying a used tuner?

2) Will the 722k work as a regular tuner if I don't want to pay for DVR service?

3) Is the 722k somewhat future proof as far as mpeg4 and HD channels go?

Once again, thanks for all the great help.

1 at present the card is built into the unit. It's not a slide in credit card type.
2 I'm not sure if you can do this.
3 Yes.

ON # two , there is no way around the dvr service. If it is a dvr you get stuck paying the $6.00 dvr fee. A 211k can be used and there is NO dvr fee. You can pay the one time $ 40.00 fee to turn it into a dvr with your external hard drive . You will be able to record one sat channel at a time or one sat and one ota at a time , if you have locals included and you install an ota antenna to your receiver as well.

So your monthly bill would say :

$6.00 no basic programming fee
$5.99 locals
$24.00 Hbo/Showtime
-------------------------------
$ 35.99

If no locals it would only be $30.00.

Wow. That is great. Thanks for all the info.

Can you please explain the $40 one time fee? Does that apply to the 722k or the 211k? Does it essentially turn into a vcr with a hard drive without a guide? Or do you get the guide?

Can you please explain the $40 one time fee? Does that apply to the 722k or the 211k? Does it essentially turn into a vcr with a hard drive without a guide? Or do you get the guide?

One $40 fee for 612/622/722/722K and one for the 211/211K, to turn them into DVRs, with guide.

ext HDD

The fee for the DVR's is to be able to add ext HDD's. 211k is like KAB said.

The tuner on the 722 will work without a basic subscription (as long as you have an active account and some sort of programming), but if you do not subscribe to local channels through Dish, you will not get the program guide data. You only have a listing of "digital service".

You have to use all manual timers if you do not sub to locals. With a locals subscription you could say subscribe to "Desparate Housewives" and select new shows only. It would handle all the time/day changes and only record new episodes for you. Without locals you have to make a manual timer that records 9PM-10PM on Sunday for channel XX and hope that DH does not have a 2 hour special or show on a different day that you did not know about.

So, it is possible to do it, but the $6/month locals charge saves a lot of headache. Also with the 722k you can record OTA and SAT at the same time if you sub to Dish locals to resolve the need to record 3 or 4 local channels at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts