Subwoofer toubleshooting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
Good day all,
I have a Definitive Technology subwoofer. About 2 months ago it blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse and the "automatic power on/off" is illuminated again, but I am not getting a LFE signal (far as I can tell). It is connected with an LFE coaxial cable, I turned the low pass cross-over down to 40Hz and still no sound. My receiver is a yamaha RX-V620 and everything there seems to work and it is configured with 5 small speakers and the LFE out (I checked).

What should I do next? I do not have access to another HTR here and the only reason I care is I am trying t watch "Days of Thunder" and as you might imagine ... bass has a profound effect in that film.

Thanks

Generally (but not always) the fuse doesn't just blow for the heck of it, there was probably a reason why it went. There's likely something wrong with the amplifier in your subwoofer regardless of the fact that the light now illuminates. I'm not familiar with the Definitive subwoofers so I can't be much assistance on the troubleshooting but if you're not comfortable with metering circuits etc. I'd find a shop you can take it to. I'd guess you've got either some blown outputs (transistors or ics depending on what they use) or maybe even just some loose connections, the circuit boards in some subwoofers take quite a beating for obvious reasons.

slacker9876 said:
About 2 months ago it blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse and the "automatic power on/off" is illuminated again, but I am not getting a LFE signal (far as I can tell). It is connected with an LFE coaxial cable, I turned the low pass cross-over down to 40Hz and still no sound. My receiver is a yamaha RX-V620 and everything there seems to work and it is configured with 5 small speakers and the LFE out (I checked).

Sounds like the subwoofer is staying in stand-by mode because it doesn't sense a signal.
Either the signal is not coming out of your receiver or it isn't getting processed by the subwoofer.

Does that subwoofer have line inputs as an option?

The LFE input will disable the sub crossover, meaning that your amp will perform the crossover function for the sub. If your amp does not have crossover functions for sub output, use the l/r input on the sub. If your fuse blows on your sub, you have purchased an inferior sub, and you will need to replace it with a real one.

The LFE input will disable the sub crossover, meaning that your amp will perform the crossover function for the sub. If your amp does not have crossover functions for sub output, use the l/r input on the sub. If your fuse blows on your sub, you have purchased an inferior sub, and you will need to replace it with a real one.

Now that's kind of a ridiculous comment. Fuses are put in place for a reason. Is that to say that a "real" sub doesn't have fuses? By your logic, it wouldn't need one because nothing would ever go wrong with it to warrant having a fuse. By all standards, definitive technology makes a pretty damn good subwoofer. Drive any subwoofer too hard.....and I mean ANY and you'll eventually either blow the fuse (if you're lucky) or fry something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)