Successful Birdview Transport

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaytay

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I spent my 4th of July down at linuxman’s house, disassembling and packing up the two Birdview dishes to bring back to Iowa.

I borrowed a pickup and a trailer, and hit the road at 4 AM on Monday. It’s about a five and a half hour drive to linuxman's house from Des Moines. I pull in at 9:30, and we go right to work. His neighbor helped us take these down off the roof of the building, so a HUGE thanks to him for all the hard work he put into this project. He wouldn’t accept any money for the job. Thanks!

We separated the dishes from their horizon-to-horizon mounts, removed the 30 concrete blocks that were holding them down to the roof in the NPRM (and threw those over the side to the ground), and disassembled the mounts.

During the morning, the sky opened up and rained on us for quite a while. We continued to work through the rain, as there wasn’t any lightning along with it. It eventually stopped raining, and the sun came out - and got really hot, really fast. And muggy. We were working on a flat tar roof in puddles of water and 90+ degree temperatures. I started feeling a little weak, and realized that I hadn’t been drinking water at all.

We took a break, grabbed a hot dog at the local gas station, and I drank a quart of Gaterade to replenish my electrolytes.

After everything was disassembled, and lowered down off the roof, his neighbor had to take off.

Because the sides of the borrowed trailer were so high, I had to fabricate a box mount underneath the dishes to raise them up, so the dish edge would protrude out over the fender wells. 2x4’s across the top keep the dishes down on the base. In the picture below, the feet of the NPRM are also loaded in the pickup at this point, on either side of the wood base...

The dishes have two pieces of styrofoam between them, so they don’t bump into each other on the ride home. With this setup, the dishes are secured in the wood frame, without the top of the frame touching them. This allows the whole crate to be strapped down very tightly, without bending or damaging the dishes.

There’s a picture of the whole thing loaded and ready to hit the road from linuxman’s house at 4:30 Monday afternoon. I thanked him and his son, who also helped load the motors into the pickup, started up the truck, and crept carefully out of the parking lot.

I pulled in the driveway at 10 PM on the 4th of July, so I got to watch the fireworks of all the Des Moines suburbs on the way into town. It was a nice greeting back!

I left the dishes in the trailer overnight, as I had no help to unload, plus I was exhausted. I pulled the whole rig, trailer and all, to work on Tuesday morning. I recruited a friend to help me unload the trailer on Tuesday after work. It was mostly overcast with a slight breeze. Nice compared to the 4th.

I unloaded all the small stuff that I could, and when my buddy showed up, we made quick work of the rest of the big stuff. The feet for the mast, and the dishes are under the deck in the back yard.

Next step: Assemble one of the dishes and point it to 91W to pick up the C-band and Ku band stuff transmitted from there…

Attachments

• box_under_dishes.JPG
    box_under_dishes.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 200
  • styrofoam.JPG
    styrofoam.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 174
  • birdviews_loaded_3.JPG
    birdviews_loaded_3.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 179
Great pictures, and yes, it was a little muggy that day. Some days are like that around here.

I was just thankful that most of the morning it was raining and half way decent. :eek:

Glad you made it home safely! :cool:

Very creative use of lumber.
Interesting seeing the two dishes stacked one inside the other, too!
Thanks for the pix, and congrats on your big haul! - :up - ;)
(pun intended)

Those dishes are much better than raw Birdviews in the wild.
They've both had major mods to make them work in todays world.
Whatever they cost or whatever the pain, you got off easy!

Those dishes are much better than raw Birdviews in the wild.
They've both had major mods to make them work in todays world.
Whatever they cost or whatever the pain, you got off easy!

I know - and I completely agree! I've been reading the threads about building the new magnetic wheels, and am grateful for snagging the finished product. I need to obtain a GBOX now.

Wait... now is this like 'The Highlander' - there can be only one. Do I get to inherit the powers of the BVOC President now that I possess his dishes? :-D

Thanks to linuxman for all of the knowledge that he's shared with me. I can hardly wait to get these hooked up and functioning.

I know - and I completely agree! I've been reading the threads about building the new magnetic wheels, and am grateful for snagging the finished product. I need to obtain a GBOX now.

Wait... now is this like 'The Highlander' - there can be only one. Do I get to inherit the powers of the BVOC President now that I possess his dishes? :-D

Thanks to linuxman for all of the knowledge that he's shared with me. I can hardly wait to get these hooked up and functioning.

No, not President, but I hereby nominate you as BVOC Sergeant at Arms. In the unusual rules of the BVOC, no second is required, and no vote, so that means you are elected, so to speak.

The only thing is, it doesn't take effect until you have a BV dish up and running.

No, not President, but I hereby nominate you as BVOC Sergeant at Arms. In the unusual rules of the BVOC, no second is required, and no vote, so that means you are elected, so to speak.

The only thing is, it doesn't take effect until you have a BV dish up and running.

Excellent!! I'm honored to be part of the group. The BV assembly will commence this weekend... BTW, who are the other members, and what are their positions?

Ya know Pop, there should be a Birdview in your future.
I can't imagine a more stiff 'n sturdy dish for your windy location.
They come with a 10 foot long, six-inch diameter tube - you sink that four feet into concrete, and the wind won't stand a chance. - :up

Excellent!! I'm honored to be part of the group. The BV assembly will commence this weekend... BTW, who are the other members, and what are their positions?

It is a secret society. Soon you will receive your magic decoder ring in the mail. When you take that to the city of Tannis, and place it on a staff of just the right height, the sun will send a ray of light through it and answer all of your questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)