Successfully replaced my 721 hard drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rob Relf

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
My 721's hard drive failed the other day after years of faithful service. 70 hours of programming down the drain, of course. I called Dish and found out I could get a refurbed 721 for $20 but with no way to know if it had a NEW hard drive or not. I chose to fix it myself and know that it would have a brand-new drive with a long potential lifespan (Seagate 160GB, 7200 RPM, 8MB cache, 5 year warranty, $50 after rebate at CC) I was able to connect the old and new drives to my PC and used Ghost 9.0 to copy all but the last partition from drive to drive. That was enough for the receiver to accept the drive and repair the installation. It is now up and running and seems to be working just fine.

Rob

No, it only utilizes the first 120GB and ignores the rest. I knew this would be the case but the 160GB drive was cheaper than the 120!

Rob

Seen this at Yahoo groups, ppl did restore 721 long time ago.

I would say, if you did remap bad sectors before ghosting, then last partition with your recordings will be copied too.

Last edited:
Better idea than what I did.. I'm up to a 3rd replacement unit.

1. My original I bought 2 years ago.
2. Replacement I received 2 weeks ago, died 4 hours later, drive failure.
3. Replacement I received 1 week ago.. They had problems activating it because it was 'new and not in the computer'.. Drive failure 2 days later.

Step 4 should come Tomorrow or Monday. I should've kept #1 that I bought outright and did what you did. :) Ah well, hindsight. This is a reminder I really want a HDTV and a 622..

--Droo, @Network

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts