Suddenly strange issues on 1 year old vip722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

usmaak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Hi,

Last night while watching TV, I started to get the message that my receiver lost the signal. But it was a perfectly clear night and my upstairs receiver was just fine. Every time I pressed the guide button or menu button, the picture would come back and then go out five or ten seconds later. This went on all night. After all the shows were done recording (and it is questionable as to whether I got anything), I tried a check switch. It didn't work. So I rebooted the unit by pressing and holding the power button. All seemed well.

Then tonight, I was watching some TV and all seemed fine and then all of a sudden, I couldn't change the station. I had WGN on and it stayed on WGN no matter what channel I changed to. It acted like it was changing channels, but the picture and sound stayed with WGN. After a while, the picture went away and just the sound came out. And even when I put the receiver into standby, the sound kept coming out.

Any ideas on what might be wrong with this thing? I have a lot of shows recorded on this, and I don't want to lose them.

Sounds like a failing receiver to me.
Better watch what you can while you can or pay the external hard drive access fee and back everything up.

USMAAk, I am having the same problem with my 722k, the 002 message popping up saying the satellite signal is lost, you can move the arrows on the remote up or down and the picture will come back on. Today I lost all control of the remote, it would do nothing until I did a hard reboot and since it has been ok so far. I don't think it is your receiver, this is my 2nd 722k in less than 4 months and both were doing the same thing. I think it is a software problem that needs to be corrected. I discussed this issue with a Dish representative and they told me they were aware of this but not enough people complaining so it was not high priority yet. I wish all that were having this problem would voice their concerns about this, it is very bothersome.

OP, are you using OTA? make sure both are tuned to a strong station! This can happen if the OTA is dropping in & out... It can also happen on strong OTA if the weather is causing multi path. I have a 622 so i've only got one OTA tuner & I can have the same thing happen if the PIP source is set for OTA & that channel is breaking up...

I had no idea how to search on this in the forums, but this exact thing is happening to me on my 622. Watching MNF on ESPN... says it lost signal. But as soon as I hit the guide button, everything is back to normal for a few minutes... until it pops up the lost signal/002 message again. I'll try giving Dish a call about it in the morning... but very, very odd.

Just had to change a splitter

OP, are you using OTA? make sure both are tuned to a strong station! This can happen if the OTA is dropping in & out... It can also happen on strong OTA if the weather is causing multi path. I have a 622 so i've only got one OTA tuner & I can have the same thing happen if the PIP source is set for OTA & that channel is breaking up...

I've a 722k and was starting to have problems that was doing this. Thought the thing was going bad so I've moving everything to the ext HDD. But I was have some problems w/ OTA that I had never had before wound up changing cables, tried amplifying , deleting all the channels & re-adding them, then finally just switched the splitter seems OK for now. So start with that and also hard reboot the units.

I had no idea how to search on this in the forums, but this exact thing is happening to me on my 622. Watching MNF on ESPN... says it lost signal. But as soon as I hit the guide button, everything is back to normal for a few minutes... until it pops up the lost signal/002 message again. I'll try giving Dish a call about it in the morning... but very, very odd.

your second tuner is probably set for OTA and the signal is going in and out. the easiest way to fix this is to press swap and then tune a satellite channel. then press swap again. You will be back to your original program, but the message will not pop up again.

i do this about once or twice a month. I have one of my timers set to record from OTA and it will stay there until it's asked to change.

your second tuner is probably set for OTA and the signal is going in and out. the easiest way to fix this is to press swap and then tune a satellite channel. then press swap again. You will be back to your original program, but the message will not pop up again.

i do this about once or twice a month. I have one of my timers set to record from OTA and it will stay there until it's asked to change.

The second tuner is satellite as is the first. The THIRD and FOURTH tuners are OTA. If your third or fourth tuner is set to an OTA channel that is going in and out you will get the message. If you are not recording something on that OTA channel, simply change that channel to another that has a good signal.

I have this same problem, I have a ViP 722 but then I also have a second 322 receiver. The ViP 722 works fine, but the 322 has the exact same problem you describe, shows a constant loss of signal until I hit a button works fine for a few seconds then gone again.

How peculiar.

Well, I hit swap, and the other channel was on a local, but not the OTA version. And since I pretty much never use OTA, I removed them all just in case... can always scan for em again down the road. We'll see how it goes!

The second tuner is satellite as is the first. The THIRD and FOURTH tuners are OTA. If your third or fourth tuner is set to an OTA channel that is going in and out you will get the message. If you are not recording something on that OTA channel, simply change that channel to another that has a good signal.

you are correct. there are only two outputs and 4 tuners. but the average person is not going to be able to make that distinction. it is usually eaisest to just say tuner 1 even though you really mean TV1 and tuner 2 even though you really mean TV2 since that is the way most people think of them. in the end the directions to fix the problem don't change.

press swap
change to good signal channel. OTA, satellite, DVD player, PONG machine etc
press swap again
enjoy