Suggestions for an old 811 and 942 receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Folks,

I was cleaning out my garage yesterday and came across my old 811 receiver. Anybody have ideas about what to do with it? I should have traded it to Dish when they used it for their upgrade but it was a solid OTA digital tuner at the time.
I also have a 942 somewhere in the garage, and figure it is about as useless as well.

Are either receiver useful for any FTA type or should it just drop them off at the electronic recycling (or nearest tall building)?

Miner

Reactions: charlesrshell
Folks,

I was cleaning out my garage yesterday and came across my old 811 receiver. Anybody have ideas about what to do with it? I should have traded it to Dish when they used it for their upgrade but it was a solid OTA digital tuner at the time.
I also have a 942 somewhere in the garage, and figure it is about as useless as well.

Are either receiver useful for any FTA type or should it just drop them off at the electronic recycling (or nearest tall building)?

Miner
Boat anchors...The 811 was always one of those. Most unstable POS Dish had made until the 921....

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I had a 811 that worked really good for a OTA tuner....worked better than the Voom receiver I had (because of the CBS O&O glitch....if you dont remember if your CBS was O&O for some reason it made the Voom box freak the hell out....and it was only if your CBS was owned by CBS at the time)

Reactions: TheKrell
The 811 was my first Dish Receiver, then later the 942 was my first DVR. I never really had any problems to speak of with the 811, other than I grew tired of the ancient looking UI. Always looked like it ran on DOS, compared to the newer receivers that were coming out around the same time. The 942 was about as rock solid as any Dish receiver I've ever had.

A monitor stand, I have my monitor here at work sitting on an 88 MB Syquest drive that use to connect by C50 scsi cable. Nice stand raises my monitor about 2 inches and nice and sturdy.

The 811 was my first Dish Receiver, then later the 942 was my first DVR. I never really had any problems to speak of with the 811, other than I grew tired of the ancient looking UI. Always looked like it ran on DOS, compared to the newer receivers that were coming out around the same time. The 942 was about as rock solid as any Dish receiver I've ever had.
I am glad you liked the 942. The 722k was super awesome too. I still miss it. The modulator out to the home distribution for older TVs in the home and the dual OTA tuner was a big plus. I wish the Hopper had the TV 2 out capability or if there was some way to sync a recordings to other TVs would really be awesome. Two OTA tuners would be nice too since we were spoiled with the VIP DVRs.

Reactions: pattykay
Boat anchors...The 811 was always one of those. Most unstable POS Dish had made until the 921....

You obviously never experienced a 7100/7200. I'll probably have nightmares from just thinking of those again... Holy crap were they a pain in the ass.

That being said, the 811/381 was crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts