Summary of 811 problems?

Is this really the way it is?

I just got Dish installed a week ago (with an 811). I have observed most of the problems stated here. I have called Dish at least 15 times already. I understand the wonderful "power on reset" fix, but this is ridiculous. Tech support doesn't acknowledge Dish at least knows of these problems. I do not have confidence they are all fixable by software. So, I will keep calling to build up their records of my complaints and when Comcast adds HD (very soon) I will dump Dish. I will also fight them (including legally) to not pay the cancellation charge. This has been an exremely disappointing experience, and it is only 1 week. Are the D* products this bad?

811 Problems

I am also having the same problems with my 811. I called Dish and they said that they will have some downloads to fix the problems in about a month. I will wait and see but sometimes I just want to throw it out the window. My 522 does not have the same problems.

maybe it's been stated already but,does anyone else notice a line at the top of the picture screen-little fuzzies(for lack of better word) when watching local hd programming while tuned on the dish? I don't get any when I watch locals without the dish.The picture quality is so bad I refuse to watch the locals on the 811-too freakin dark!! last time I called about it they said it was probably my component cables...

My 811 picture freezes and I have to do a hard reboot to get it to clear. The sound continues, but the picture is froze.

Also, OTA channels that never had a problem on the 6000, will not lock on the 811 and I have to manually add with DTV to get it to lock on that channel. The signal strength was 49% before manual add and 89% after. There were previously locked and lose signal strength.

Installed 1/7/04 keeping 501+301 with must-carry dish to get SW64 to replace 2 SW21's, hoping for a working 921 sometime in my future. Fourth cable ready for it. Originally scheduled for 12/17. No Dish Pro.

After install, found out 811 is on DHP with 501 and 301 and will not be billed for it. Was told it would be $199 and thus I assumed mine, not so.

(1) No recall from OTA digital, yes remapped.
(3) Somewhat darker picture more noticible on S-video.
(5) Guide extent limited to a few hours, then wait. Up to 10 hours sometimes.
(7) Closed captions work sometimes.
(8 ) Hit the favorites limit for surfing list -- 2 music, no sports, no kids.
(11) My PBS channel 005-01 changes to 080-03 at random. Note that entering leading zeroes allows entry of subchannel. Removal temporary? My Fox channel 2 remapped digital disappears, every daytime? Does it disappear only when you go by it or to it?
(13) Guide did not match what I was viewing, sometimes, random change.
(14) Occasional lost satellite although most are 85 level especially with rapid changes.
(16) Sound loss at random (0n digital), switching usually gets it back.
(18 ) Rear panel channels not as good as direct connection.
(19) Just timed switch channel gives blank. Does any timer work?
(20) Audio lost at random, usually restored by switching back and forth.
(22) One freeze did require a power cord pull -- harder to reach with UPS.

Codes for IR control of 811 is 722 or Aux 0722, came programed on Aux and is listed in book as Echostar.

VCR code in remote and book not accepted by VCR timer setting, also no DVD recorders.

Centering at limit of range, required for HD and SD. (6-1-9 Adjust.)
Originally switched 720p to 1080i picture was 1/4 frame delayed horizontally and vertically on DVI raster -- it threw away rest of picture -- works now.

Sticky?

Can this be a sticky? It would be nice to have a list of bugs on the first post along with software versions that fix the problem.
---
Rick

To add to the 811 problem list...
1. Adjust (pic centering) for HD mode: image doesn't show while adjusting postition, so it's impossible to do. On 6000, image shows behind adjust message allowing easy centering.
2. 720P output is soft and fuzzy - appears to be 480p upsampled to 720p, instead of the correct downsampling from 1080i. From my 6000, image on my Samsung HLN-437W using 720P is extremely sharp. Each unit was connected to the set using component output and same cables for testing.
3. 1080i output: menu and other video overlays have vertical jitter of a few pixels. Actually my first 811 had this vertical jitter on both the image and the overlays, but it was swapped and the new one only has the jitter on the overlays. Anyone else seeing this? When my 6000 is outputting 1080i, I have a perfect image and menu overlays. Again, both tested using component output.
4. Like many others, I'm seeing very dark output using S-Vid. I need this SD output for recording (I'm using a ReplayTV 5080). It appears to me that the gamma is set much too low, not the brightness level. Low gamma causes very dark and very bright areas with not too much in-between. I saw this on both my original 811 and it's replacement.

All of the problems I am having ( which are limited compared to most of you ) have been mentioned except one, my guide is always in 4:3 ( will not stretch, period ). Not that this is a big deal, just wanted to mention it. The other one that drives me crazy is not being able to return to previous channel from an OTA channel ( already mentioned ).

So is everyone have the problem with really horrible output from the SVideo and composite outputs of the 811? Or is it something that only occurs on some boxes?

thanks
Paddy

My 811 would not turn on yesterday after I moved it from the living room to the bedroom. I had just received the the 911 and installed it in the living room. Dish is sending me another one. It is expected to arrive on Friday, Jan 23.

lkupersmith said:
To add to the 811 problem list...
2. 720P output is soft and fuzzy - appears to be 480p upsampled to 720p, instead of the correct downsampling from 1080i. From my 6000, image on my Samsung HLN-437W using 720P is extremely sharp. Each unit was connected to the set using component output and same cables for testing.
3. 1080i output: menu and other video overlays have vertical jitter of a few pixels. Actually my first 811 had this vertical jitter on both the image and the overlays, but it was swapped and the new one only has the jitter on the overlays. Anyone else seeing this? When my 6000 is outputting 1080i, I have a perfect image and menu overlays. Again, both tested using component output. ...

In the 811's System Setup | HDTV setup, are you claiming that your TV is 720p? I also have a Samsung DLP TV and on those rare occasions when ESPN-HD (they use 720p) has a high def broadcast, my picture looks spectacular. But during an HD-NET(1080i) hockey game, the picture is merely great, as the referee's striped shirt will have an awful interference pattern. If I go to the HDTV Setup screen and claim my TV is 1080i, so that the Samsung does the conversion to from 1080i to 720p instead of the 811, the interference pattern mostly goes away.

I think that the 811 just has lousy algorithms for converting between 720p and 1080i. It sure would be nice if it let all HD signals pass through unmolested and only did the conversion when viewing SD.

I have noticed that the SD picture is also visibly worse when I have left the HDTV setup screen set to a resolution that does not match my TV's native resolution.

This 720p/1080i talk reminded me about something I noticed. I only use svideo right now (HD set is a future purchase). 1080i source material looks like high quality DVD, but 720 HD source (sports on espnhd, abc) tends to shimmer a bit when panning. For example, 720p football when the field pans the yard markers shimmer a bit. Likewise, 720p basketball the lane and top of the key also shimmer a bit when panning. Has anybody else noticed this? Was the 6000 like this?

The worst I have found is that after watching OTA for an hour or more and then hitting the guide button. It goes to Satellite signal hunt and most of the time you have to do a box reset to get it back up.

If you just dial in a SAT channel, like 214, then wait a few secs and then hit guide, it works.

ghamer said:
In the 811's System Setup | HDTV setup, are you claiming that your TV is 720p? I also have a Samsung DLP TV and on those rare occasions when ESPN-HD (they use 720p) has a high def broadcast, my picture looks spectacular. But during an HD-NET(1080i) hockey game, the picture is merely great, as the referee's striped shirt will have an awful interference pattern. If I go to the HDTV Setup screen and claim my TV is 1080i, so that the Samsung does the conversion to from 1080i to 720p instead of the 811, the interference pattern mostly goes away.
As I stated, I tested with both 720P (which matches the Samsung DLPs) and 1080i. See my results in my earlier post above. Also please remember, I have a E* 6000 box too so I'm able to compare the outputs. There is simply no comparison - the component outputs on the 811 are far inferior to the 6000. I'd switch receivers if only the 6000 didn't have that noisy fan and if it enabled the SD and HD at the same time.

Now, I also stated that my tests concerned the component outputs only. When I tested using the DVI connection the 811's output is excellent using both 720P or 1080i. Maybe that's how you're connecting to your Samsung??? I'm using my DVI port for my DVD player and don't want to give that up.

I also have a Samsung 50" and a DVI cable connection. DVI is a much better picture on Sat. or OTA connected to the 811. HDTV off the OTA is some better than The Dish HDTV channels. I have an above roof antenna and about 30 miles from ABC,NBC, and CBS. If my 811 receiver was perfect and Dish would offer more HDTV programming, I would be very happy. :yes

lkupersmith said:
As I stated, I tested with both 720P (which matches the Samsung DLPs) and 1080i. See my results in my earlier post above. Also please remember, I have a E* 6000 box too so I'm able to compare the outputs. There is simply no comparison - the component outputs on the 811 are far inferior to the 6000. I'd switch receivers if only the 6000 didn't have that noisy fan and if it enabled the SD and HD at the same time.

Now, I also stated that my tests concerned the component outputs only. When I tested using the DVI connection the 811's output is excellent using both 720P or 1080i. Maybe that's how you're connecting to your Samsung??? I'm using my DVI port for my DVD player and don't want to give that up.

So if i understand you right- lkupersmith- always leave the 811 on 1080i? Im getting my 811 this weekend. Ive heard the same possibility somewhere else about the 811 possibly downconverting to 480p then converting to 720p- obviously going to look much worse.

OTA Digital - auto or manual locks but not in guide

All of my available OTA digitals (7 stations) are auto detected and added to the setup screen ok, but even tho my pbs OTA digital station is auto detected that one digital OTA channel never shows up in the program guide.

I can also add that pbs OTA digital manually and it locks at 89%. All looks OK in the setup, but when I save it and go back to the guide, it's still not there...

All other digital OTAs are working fine.... even those that are much weaker than the one that will not write to the program guide..

Any work arounds???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)