Summer Project

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I currently have a 180cm (6') 6 panel dish on a ground mount. The ground mount has become rusted over the years as I often use it to perform testing and to adjust to various satellites.

I'm thinking my Summer project will be to...

Option 1) Create a lazy susan type base that I have been thinking about for the past several years. They sell large outdoor lazy susans that are designed for outdoor patio tables that have a hole in the middle for an umbrella that could withstand the weight of the dish and ground mount. I would then simply spin it like a sit-n-spin and lock into place at the various satellites.

Option 2) Don't laugh, but I'm actually thinking of using a H-H motor that could withstand the weight of the 6 panel steel dish. I know they aren't designed or recommended for this size dish, but I've been using a SG4000 on a heavy Channel Master 4' dish now for 12 years and have never had a problem and it is used almost daily. I'm thinking the 6' steel dish although larger, probably weighs about the same or possibly less than the 4' Channel Master.

I like the Option 1 with a modification, Fat Air! An inexpensive 2 axis positioner.

Remove the tube from an inexpensive DiSEqC hh motor and install 1:1 (??) ratio gears (or sprocket and chain) between it and the azimuth rotation platform. The STB will use the same DiSEqC command to position the dish azimuth and signal the ASC1 for elevation using an 18" actuator and skew with servo feedhorn.

:)

I am using a similar idea on my HTPC for rotating a terrestrial antenna using DiSEqC software on the PC and an old satellite hh DiSEqC motor. Using a 2:1 ratio to cover approximately 300 degree radius. Thinking of changing the ratio as I would rather have speed than torque.

Reactions: PopcornNMore
I had envisioned this for the 8 ft offset. (wish I had the 'space') Could also be a chain and sprocket for the Az. Or a cable around the outer edge of the turntable fastened on the far end. . Small diameter spindle on the motor with a turn or two. Some 'fashion' to keep the cable taught.

Magic Static, I had forgotten about that post! Innovative, but understand why it didn't work. Love the spring tensioners! :)

Mounting the DiSEqC 1.2 HH motor and shaft to remotely drive a stable AZ mount across a flat plane would likely have much better results. There would be no end of the arc weight lifting issues.

Always could instead use a 2nd controller (V/Gbox) and a linear actuator (pulling and pushing) an offset center point of the lazy susan to produce AZ movement. Dual axis actuator control still could be provided with a single STB DiSEqC 1.2 command.

I always like playing "outside the box"! That way the cats don't try to bury me.... :D

And the kitty box smell would keep me out to. I have a something similar to move my dish so I can go from 103w to 97w c band a mini motor idea.

Love your project Magic! Too bad it didn't work.

Your last photo reminds me of yet another project I have been wanting to do. :) That is to install my unused 8' Channel Master dish onto a moveable platform that I could simply keep in the garage and wheel out whenever I wanted to do testing. So many projects and not enough time.

Reactions: Magic Static
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)