Sunday night NFL on NBC

rswan55

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2005
15
0
Why is this HD telecast not nearly as good (crisp) as the 3:00 game on NBC (Pats/Jets)? Both are said to be in 1080i, but this one is definitely not as sharp. Same thing with the ND/Mich game on Sat. Is this the same for everyone else? or am I really being picky?
 
you mean the 3:00 game on cbs

because cbs has a system that has a better pq end result than whatever nbc is doing
 
Oh, was the Pats/Jets game on CBS? That makes sense...NBC's HD football broadcasts are always poor. Thanks for the clarification.
 
No where near as bad as the Michigan v Notre Dame game yesturday on NBC - which had the second half with a blank screen, spotty audio, then when it did come back it was only in SD.

Top that off, it was on 3 OTA stations like that, including over satellite.
 
rswan55 said:
Why is this HD telecast not nearly as good (crisp) as the 3:00 game on NBC (Pats/Jets)? Both are said to be in 1080i, but this one is definitely not as sharp. Same thing with the ND/Mich game on Sat. Is this the same for everyone else? or am I really being picky?
I thought it was pretty good...but then both CBS doubleheader games shown in L.A were in SD! After that, anything looked good by comparison...
 
I don't understand the deal with the HD PQ's. I've had HD for almost 3 years and the quality has gotten terrible to me now. The NBC Sunday Night game looked like crap, most ESPN games do but they have better odds than most I have seen at getting a crisp picture, and FOX is the worst HD channel I have ever watched. I would swear that their main camera is SD Widescreen, but yet when they zoom in it looks great. It only looks horrid on the main cam shots.

CBS has the best PQ that i have seen personally, but even their quality has been diminishing of late. It seems that OTA at least would look the same. I understand the compression over SAT and CABLE, but OTA should still be great, but it conintue to decline. I expect those glory days of HD are over. It doens't even look like a premium service anymore and I dont see it getting better anytime soon.


And as a note I have 4 HDTV's and I notice this decline on all of them.
 
The OTA signal from the DFW station looked very sharp for the Sunday night game. The main problem that I noticed was that some of the sideline shots looked quite dark. This seemed to improve as the game went on. They also lost the HD signal a few times in the first quarter. The game looked sharper than the Denver / KC game on CBS, but was not as bright. On the DFW station the FOX games seem to look a lot better this season. Last year a lot of the games looked rather soft.
 
Last edited:
I believe these problems are local in origin. My NBC station has always done excellent HD. Tonight's Pats/Broncos game was very crisp and clear.
 
Tonight's Broncos/Pats game on NBC looked great via OTA HD here in Denver, but the DD5.1 sound was missing the 2 surround channels. This afternoon's Bengals/Steelers game on CBS was the usual soft PQ I come to expect for NFL games on CBS via OTA from their local wholly owned affiliate. CBS has consistently had the softest HD PQ for NFL games this year and last. Since the NBC games look so good, it isn't because CBS broadcasts in 1080i instead of 720p like ABC, Fox, and ESPN do.
 
Yes. OTA had real good PQ but sound sync was off. Not that it's a big factor in a football game but none the less it was irritating during pre game.
 
It's definately not a problem with the uplink from the game location. I watched the game uplink at 4:2:2 1080i at 35mbps and it looked awesome! I did switch a few times to my OTA NBC and the OTA looked washed compared to the uplink.
 
hpman247 said:
I don't understand the deal with the HD PQ's. I've had HD for almost 3 years and the quality has gotten terrible to me now. The NBC Sunday Night game looked like crap, most ESPN games do but they have better odds than most I have seen at getting a crisp picture, and FOX is the worst HD channel I have ever watched. I would swear that their main camera is SD Widescreen, but yet when they zoom in it looks great. It only looks horrid on the main cam shots.

CBS has the best PQ that i have seen personally, but even their quality has been diminishing of late. It seems that OTA at least would look the same. I understand the compression over SAT and CABLE, but OTA should still be great, but it conintue to decline. I expect those glory days of HD are over. It doens't even look like a premium service anymore and I dont see it getting better anytime soon.


And as a note I have 4 HDTV's and I notice this decline on all of them.

Welcome to the world of broadcast HD in 2006!

And welcome to the one of the biggest consumer rip offs to hit the shelves in decades, HDTV! :D :D

Watch and enjoy as it gets worse and worse over the next few years!!

I know it wont help in regards to live sports, but can anyone say HD DVD? You want HD, you need HD DVD..

Honestly if it wasnt for HD DVD, at this point I would be selling all 3 of my HDTV's and forgetting about HD completely..
 
Last edited:
ramimac said:
the problem i have NBC is the sound keeps drooping out. and PQ is horible when panning.


My sound did not drop out, but I found the sound on the Patriots-Broncos game (yeah! Broncos win!) horrible. The bass from my subwoofer was really obnoxiously loud; and half the time I was getting what should have just been center-channel sound coming out of the rears. I rarely ever have to adjust the Sony pre-defined sound fields when watching E*, but I had to fiddle with it several times during the game just to make it tolerable.
 
Our NBC affiliate in the greater Washingon, DC area looks pretty good, so far anyway. This is via E*'s 61.5 bird (my OTA for WRC-DT is pretty near impossible).

--Doug
 
Carl B said:
Tonight's Broncos/Pats game on NBC looked great via OTA HD here in Denver, but the DD5.1 sound was missing the 2 surround channels. This afternoon's Bengals/Steelers game on CBS was the usual soft PQ I come to expect for NFL games on CBS via OTA from their local wholly owned affiliate. CBS has consistently had the softest HD PQ for NFL games this year and last. Since the NBC games look so good, it isn't because CBS broadcasts in 1080i instead of 720p like ABC, Fox, and ESPN do.

That explains what I reported earlier this morning in terms of the stuff coming out the rears... wrong sound channels.

I actually think CBS has had pretyt good PQ for NFL games so far. At least what I have seen from KCNC LIL. Sure better than NBC's.
 
Has anyone else noticed that tonights NBC Sunday Night Football game OTA is very blocky?

The Toyota Camry commercial was perfect, but the feed from San Diego, including the Pre-Game appears to be bit starved.

When scenes change or fast motion occurrs, it is very distracting.

Static scenes are very good but motion causes blockiness.
 
***

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)