Super 4K FTA PC build.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I am in the process of building out a FTA PC build that can not only do 4K but 4k gaming as well. I went with older z97 technology (Haswell) over the newer intel Skylake technology because the performance gained really was negotiable for the price.

Here is the PC Part picker list. I am waiting on some final parts and am going to be building this puppy in the next week. What parts I have on hand now I have put in. I am waiting on the CPU, OS and 1070 card coming in over the next few days and should have everything together next week. Let me know what you think.

This is going to be driven by a Titanium ASC1 and have both C and KU capabilities off of my 10 foot pinnacle dish. This PC serves as a triple threat. Feed hunting, movie storage, and 4K gaming. I was able to do this for about half the cost of what PC part picker has by finding some great deals on ebay and online sales.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($141.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk X400 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($251.41 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($157.39 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($157.39 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($449.99 @ B&H)
Case: Thermaltake Core X9 ATX Desktop Case ($129.30 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($129.88 @ OutletPC)
Other: PCIE Satellite Tuner Card TBS®6903 ($229.99)
Total: $2998.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-15 23:48 EDT-0400

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    667.6 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    723.8 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    733.6 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    769.2 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 232
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 213
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    707.4 KB · Views: 201
Wow that is gonna be a nice rig!!

I very much look forward to seeing this build progress. Have you decided upon what software you are going to use to view/record?

So I finished this guy out a few days back and am now in the process of scanning the arch! What I am happy to report is 4k video is amazing!! I only use about 25 percent of my GPU and 50 percent of my CPU to playback full resolution 4k video. This is attached to my 4K TV at 3840 by 2160. The SES 4K demo on 103 is some of the most amazing 4k video that pictures dont do it justice. The windows solution for 4k is to use ebs pro with potsplayer. VLC freezes and TS Reader needs to get updated for 4k. I hope this is something Rod is working on and I would renew for that update.

So far i am happy with the build and can only imagine how much better it will get in the future when drivers are updated for the newer GPUs. I am wondering if this is passing on HDR or not. I'm not sure on how to check.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    987 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    806.6 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    821.8 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    705.6 KB · Views: 244
I'm using potplayer here too for 4K. Too bad VLC doesn't cut it...

Just checking in, how did this build turn out? Are you using anything for front end?

It turned out quite well. EBS pro works very well with POT player and the 1070. Setting pot player to hardware decode is the only way to go as the GPU does the decoding. The only thing that I haven't been able to decode is AAC audio, and have only ran across one 4K feed that has it. I suspect part of this is my AVR cant do AAC. I haven't had time to dive into it why AAC audio has no output. HDR has been a miss but I am waiting on Ultra HD software playback to make a determination on if it works or not. The 1070 supports it, I just have no real way to test it.

Reactions: mr3p
It turned out quite well. EBS pro works very well with POT player and the 1070. Setting pot player to hardware decode is the only way to go as the GPU does the decoding. The only thing that I haven't been able to decode is AAC audio, and have only ran across one 4K feed that has it. I suspect part of this is my AVR cant do AAC. I haven't had time to dive into it why AAC audio has no output. HDR has been a miss but I am waiting on Ultra HD software playback to make a determination on if it works or not. The 1070 supports it, I just have no real way to test it.
K9SAT do you mean AVR as Audio Video Receiver?...Should have no probs with either the FFDShow or LAV filters handling AAC audio with the nice rig.

Yes. I have everything set to passthrough and am letting my Yamaha do the decoding. It's on the feed with the Monkeys and weird costumes over at SES 1 I think. Even VLC wont play the audio.

Yes. I have everything set to passthrough and am letting my Yamaha do the decoding. It's on the feed with the Monkeys and weird costumes over at SES 1 I think. Even VLC wont play the audio.

If you can record it, try running the finished recording through ffmpeg. Just use something like:

ffmpeg -i input.ts -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s copy -c:d copy -c:t copy output.ts

or even just

ffmpeg -i input.ts output.ts

Basically you are in theory just doing a straight copy of all streams, but I have seen that be sufficient to fix certain video and audio issues, specifically of the "player x won't play this channel" variety. If it doesn't work, then try changing the -c:a copy to specify some specific output format - instead of copy try mp2, ac3 (Dolby), or eac3 (Dolby+).

I don't know how you install ffmpeg in Windows, but I'm sure there are instructions out on the web somewhere. If this works, there may be a way to use ffmpeg to do the correction in real time. I know there a trick to doing it in TVHeadEnd, but I have absolutely no idea how you'd do it in anything Windows-related.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)